Real Estate Pickle

Yes, Niko, on behalf of my bank index fund, I thank you for paying the debt you agreed to pay! :)

There is honor among thieves.

Is there any honor among bankers these days? Especially investment bankers?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I spent about a month moping over the lost money, but honestly I don't even think of it anymore. I've since moved abroad and am earning more now than I did before. I've replenished the lost retirement funds (and then some) and my ER fund is back. In the grand scheme of things, this will likely be no more than a blip -- if that -- in my grand ER scheme.

Walking away from the loan, however, would probably stay with me much longer. I know some people have no choice but to walk. But I did have a choice.

"Is there any honor among bankers these days? Especially investment bankers?"

Doesn't matter - as Niko said, the $30k hit bothered him, but he's getting over it. Walking on a debt he could pay would have bothered him longer. I think he made a good "what price do you put on honor?" choice.

Niko, you were very lucky to have only taken a $30K hit. Luckily, too, you are young and can recoup the loss. I think you made the right decision and you were also fortunate that the housing market had the first time home buyer stimulus going for it at the time. So congrats!

I don't see it as a question of honor though. It was a financial decision. I think it was the right one though, mostly because taking the $30K hit will taste better over the long term than a short sale or walkaway. Niko will be able to put this bad experience behind him.

Back
Top Bottom