Join Early Retirement Today

Re: real estate vs. stocks
Old 02-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to pick up several single family homes on the repo market during the S&L collapse back in the 80's. *It was a job, and even though I sold them all at a nice profit, if one added the hours and effort it was not all that great a money maker. *Many folks will tell you how much they made on a real estate deal, but they are just telling you about the cash out, and seldom about the real investment energy it takes to make real estate work. *The capital appreciation should be considered in the context of the management and maintenance costs over the ownership period.

With the exception of my home I own CD's, bonds and funds. *I have a large position in the Vanguard REIT index and the Third Avenue Real Estate funds, and they pull a decent return without any real effort on my part. *And thats the way I prefer my real estate investing! 8)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2005, 11:24 AM   #22

Back when I was still hunting, I owned quite a bit of raw land. I had to hold it a long time, but my family was using it and I did real well when I finally sold. There was
a long holding period, but no management worries in the meantime. Actually, our condo is similar
in the sense that we have hired management and we get to use it personally. Even so, we have positive cash flow, tax deductions, and appreciation is a slam-dunk.

JG
Old 02-06-2005, 05:02 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Many folks will tell you how much they made on a real estate deal, but they are just telling you about the cash out, and seldom about the real investment energy it takes to make real estate work. *The capital appreciation should be considered in the context of the management and maintenance costs over the ownership period.
I think this is the real appeal of the absolute NNN properties. You have to spend about 5 minutes a month (walk to mail box to get check ) on managing these properties and you get a nice return. You also get to shelter part of the return from taxes with the depreciation deduction.

The Beachbumz
Old 02-06-2005, 05:10 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a large position in the Vanguard REIT index and the Third Avenue Real Estate funds, and they pull a decent return without any real effort on my part. *And thats the way I prefer my real estate investing!
Basically, you are paying people to manage your property, and still making a decent return on your investment. You should be able to accomplish the same thing without the REIT, if you were so inclined. You would not have the costs of managing the fund itself, but you would probably not have the diversification either.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:29 AM   #25

It just occurred to me that our Texas condo is the
first piece
of real estate I ever owned with professional management. I tried to buy some pretty large apt.
complexes a few times with the idea I could hire management, but never got it done. Anyway, like with
all services, there is a wide variation in what you get for your money. We are fortunate that the realtor's office
is about a mile from the condo, and she knows the
property intimately. Also, her fee is reasonable and
she is quite honest and reliable. Got pretty lucky on my first time handling a rental in this manner.

JG
Old 02-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I want nothing to do with real estate, unless it's mine alone. No lodgers, renters, no insurance problems, no maintenance, etc. Property for me and DW out in the country, fine; preferably in the lowest tax region I can find.

I have two REITs. One is the Vanguard index. Another is called CPA 15. They return enough income to make me happy. I had a broker who got me into CPA fund years ago and it turns out above inflation returns every month.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #27

Ah real estate. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I could write a great book just based on my real estate
stories and nothing else. Doubtful it will happen. Lazy!

JG