Join Early Retirement Today

Realistic article on Longevity
Old 08-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Realistic article on Longevity

This is one issue where quality of age trumps quantity of years in my book.

Money quote: "We're trying to get people healthy up to the age of 75 or 80," Crimmins said. She calls this idea extension of quality of life within a given lifespan — basically, you may not live any longer, but you'll be healthier for more of the years you're alive.

"I'm not worried much about what happens after age 100," Crimmins said. "I don't believe many people will make it beyond 100, and most people who do are relatively healthy for that age.""

There are better longevity goals we could be meeting - Business Insider

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
How will you die?

I thought this one was interesting...Keith
Old 10-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have no wish to become a centenarian. Previous relatives have come close- a grandfather died at 95 and his mother died at 93. As the link in the first article pointed out, quality of life is far more important. I know that eventually various body parts and processes hit their "sell by" date and begin breaking down to the extent that it really affects the quality of life. I'm hoping to postpone that time but don't want to live much beyond it.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Both my Grandparents on my Dad's side died from old age at 86 and 91. Nothing really wrong with them. My Mom not so lucky and although in good shape etc she had 3 bouts of cancer between 78 and 89. Each time she was able to continue to live alone, drive etc after recovering. She took really good care of herself with exercise, diet, etc. She had quality of life. My Dad had a massive stroke at 59 & lived 14 more long, miserable years. He really wanted to die all that time.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quality of life has two components - one is dumb luck (genetic, lack of accidents, no random cosmic ray causing cancer, etc.) The other part is taking care of yourself. I think about my Dad at my current age, 57 (5 years before he died from lung cancer). His day consisted of getting up, hacking for a while, smoking cigarettes, eating crap and watching TV. My day usually contains some aerobic exercise, a few days a week with weight training, I try to eat healthily (most of the time), etc. I still may get hit by a bus (or that random cosmic ray) but I look and function like I'm 20 years younger than my dad at the same age.

Saw a similar thing with my grandparents, too. Mom's folks were older by 10 years, but looked and acted 10 years younger than Dad's. They were physically active and didn't smoke. They outlasted Dad's parents by 15-20 years, too. Almost all of those years with a high quality of life.

Quality of life is what it's all about, it takes some effort, but it's worth it. I don't know when my "sell by" date will kick in, but I'm trying to prevent early spoilage.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
How will you die?

I thought this one was interesting...Keith
Link is to a video? Where can I find the article? Or maybe it's just the video?
Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Link is to a video? Where can I find the article? Or maybe it's just the video?
Yes it is just the video!

For Canadians, here is a discussion of a new report from StatsCan:
Summary of longevity report results
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes it is just the video!

For Canadians, here is a discussion of a new report from StatsCan:
Summary of longevity report results
I thought I had asked before, but somehow my post didn't make it. How about a summary of the video? That was pretty much a blind link post. I can skim an article to find out what it covers, but you can't do that with a video.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The question in the back of my mind is how many good years do we have left to do the things we want to.

It is the reason I decided to retire early. It is the reason why we are working on our bucket lists. It is the reason why we adjusted our lifestyle to much healthier eating, lost weight, exercise regularly, and actually go for heath check ups. It is one of the reasons why experiences seem to trump 'things' for us over the past few years.

The clock keeps ticking away. As others have said, we do not want to be the richest people in the old folks home nor do we want to be sitting there wishing we had done some of the things that were on our retirement lists for years.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

AsapSCIENCE
This is their main site. They also sell books.
Here is their youtube channel index
https://www.youtube.com/user/AsapSCIENCE
Old 10-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

We had a fascinating thread on this forum about this exact issue back in May. I encourage anyone interested in this topic to check it out:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...eft-82072.html
danwhite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I remember that thread, and just revisited it.

The problem with answering the question is one must define "good". And I submit to you that one will find that his own definition is going to be quite elastic.

When you are in the 50s, you may think that good is if you can still finish a marathon, or a tennis match. Then, later when your knees start to hurt, you think good is if you can still walk or hike around on your own, without a crutch or wheelchair. Eventually, if you can get out of bed on your own to go to the bathroom, you think good is when you are not yet in a nursing home, and not yet wearing a diaper. And then, there are people who are happy if they still wake up in the morning to see sunlight outside the window, even if they are bedridden.

I dunno...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
HMMM
Old 10-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #13

HMMM

My dad died at 92, my mom at 102. I am hoping for my mother's genes. In her last few years she had a mindset where she could not do anything, but just sort of vegged.
I am too active to do that- I am 78 and am still actively doing things. I hope to live as long as my mother but without the debilitating attitude she had.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My dad died at 92, my mom at 102. I am hoping for my mother's genes.
Regardless of which parent's longevity you inherit, you will win either way - 92 ain't exactly shabby

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Here is an article on how functional health declines with age and accelerates at around age 77.

Article on aging
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FunctionalHealth.jpg (85.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

When some people get old they get sick of living. All their friends are dead, etc. My Mom never got sick of living even though all her friends were gone but she still had her sister and us kids. She also still went to the senior center every week, bingo, etc so still kept busy. I have a good friend with MS who always said when she was confined to a wheelchair she would kill herself. Well that has happened and she has not. I think the end maybe if she has to go to a nursing home. I agree that the line keeps moving for a good life as we age. What is most important to her now (living independently) is not what was most important years ago.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just stumbled across this site today from the Society of Actuaries and American Academy of Actuaries and found the results interesting:

Actuaries Longevity Illustrator
Old 10-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Yes I like the either/both probabilities.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #19

Neither my partner nor I are great globe trotters - more homebodies actually - but I'm thinking that now that I'm 65, it might be a good idea to plan travels over the next decade or so while I'm still in good shape. My partner is much younger so it's more my situation I suppose healthwise. I have traveled when I was younger but still have many places I'd like to see. We are already planning a vacation next year to the Big Island (Hawaii) having done Oahu a couple of years ago. Would like to get Australia and New Zealand sometime. And back to see parts of Europe that I didn't get to in the past.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My dad died at 92, my mom at 102. I am hoping for my mother's genes. In her last few years she had a mindset where she could not do anything, but just sort of vegged.
I am too active to do that- I am 78 and am still actively doing things. I hope to live as long as my mother but without the debilitating attitude she had.
You are an inspiration. Keep up the good work or should I say genes?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote