Join Early Retirement Today

Realistic Future Returns
Old 03-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Realistic Future Returns

I see mention of projections of reduced expectations of average future returns for equities and bonds.

What are the experts prediciting and what are the sources for those predictions?

And for those of you that are following - I have rollover funds on the way to Vanguard for consolidation and investment. :P
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Realistic Future Returns
Old 03-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysto
I see mention of projections of reduced expectations of average future returns for equities and bonds.

What are the experts prediciting and what are the sources for those predictions
You can read through articles at Bernstein's site or this summary.

The Gordon Equation says that a stock or a bond will return its income stream plus its growth rate. Of course you get to pick the numbers for that unstable equation, in which tiny variations of input result in huge variations of output, but 6.5% for stocks and 6% for bonds seems to be a concensus for long-term returns.

A much more detailed discussion of long-term returns is in "Triumph of the Optimists". It's a coffee-table book that can break your foot bones if you drop it, or that'll cut off circulation to your legs if you read it while it's resting in your lap, but it's a good review of long-term returns in 16 different countries. It's worth its weight in financial analysts or WSJ subscriptions. It'll make you stop worrying about next week or next year and you'll start thinking about inflation & decades-long returns instead of what the experts are predicting.

Keep in mind that these are average returns of the entire broad bond/stock market, not specific asset classes. The Gordon equation works for me as long as inflation stays around 2-3% for the next six or seven decades. How hard could that be?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Large cap earnings should grow roughly in line with GDP growth. Long-run real GDP growth has averaged more than 3% for most of this century, but seems to be on a declining trend. If we assume ~3% real growth and ~3% inflation, nominal earnings growth is ~6%. Add to that a 1.75% dividend yield and future equity returns should be in the 7.75% range (give or take 3 percentage points).
Old 03-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Bogle (Sr) says that he expects equity returns at about 6.5% for the next 10 years or so. But what does he know?

Short term? Use a coin on the thumb technique and select one side of the coin prior to flipping the coin.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Expected real returns, tax deferred or paid from work when saving, past averages are trivia.
Saving U.S. Historical Current
Stock, Reits = (1/pe) - investing costs 7 - 2 = 5% 5.5 - .5 = 5%
Bonds, Bills = yield - inflation – costs 6 - 3 - 1 = 2% 5.5 -3 - .5 = 2%

Heres my best guess.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

rmark, if you're right history will indeed rhyme!

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Plug in the costs of actively managed funds and watch my expectations fall. Its todays index funds at low cost that make that match possible.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote