REALLY casual income

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
A thought was placed in my head a couple of years ago which resurfaces from time to time when thinking about ER and casual income thereafter. It was suggested to me that with my life experiences and training that I could make a little on the side by being a "guest speaker" at area colleges as a "subject matter expert" on corrections and the criminal justice system.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this sort of "consulting" business to fill their time, and if they have any tips on how they started it.

My initial thought is to simply create a resume detailing my experience and instructor certifications, then deliver it to the department chairs during a brief appointment. Any suggestions on other ways to do it?

a good friend of mine who has always preferred writing behind the scenes joined www.toastmasters.org for a while to gain public speaking skills. perhaps such an organization might also have a program or ideas for breaking into the lecture circuit.

Professors give talks all the time. They are basically not paid for their efforts. If they are invited, their travel expenses are covered. Sometimes you can get $100 honorarium.

Now if you get real famous, like Nobel Prize winner, you might get paid if you speak outside your normal venues like at a Bar Mitzvah or a Comedy Club. Otherwise, good luck!

That may be a good option to pursue. I belonged to Toastmasters for a while (two different groups). Be selective about the group you join. The first group I joined seemed to just enjoy talking. I didn't last long with that group. The second group was much more interested in improving speaking skills.

I also plan on making casual income when I RE. I work fulltime in a cube job, but also part-time teaching teaching pilates, yoga and Spin classes. I love this work and use the income for continued education. In a couple of years, I plan to leave the cube job to follow my passion. BTW....most of my clients are boomers.

Back
Top Bottom