Join Early Retirement Today

really stupid question--how to buy mutual funds
Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

really stupid question--how to buy mutual funds

We have an FA, but I'm doubting the wisdom of that and wanting to buy some mutual funds "on our own." Very low fee. (We've already maxed out our tax-deferred contributions.) How do we do this? We were looking at Scottrade, etrade, td ameritrade but many have bad things to say about all of them. Should I go straight to Vanguard?
And what are the books we should check out of the library?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Go straight to Vanguard. Check out "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing" and perhaps "Mutual Funds for Dummies".

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

+1 Vanguard is great. I have been with them for almost 20 years.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
And what are the books we should check out of the library?
Rick Ferri's "All About Asset Allocation", and his blog:
http://www.rickferri.com/blog/strate...et-allocation/

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can check Vanguard online. Before you open an account anywhere, check to see if they have the mutual funds you want. The selection of no transaction fee funds will vary. For Vanguard funds, a Vanguard account will be your best bet. Also check on the minimum initial buy amount. Many of Vanguard's funds require a relatively high initial buy. E*Trade and a few others should have lower minimums, though not on Vanguard funds.

You might also try ETF's instead of mutual funds. Many brokerages have a selection of ETF's they offer with no trading fees. That's a great way to avoid fund minimums and early redemption fees if you can stay with the commission-free ETF's.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Competition among the major brokers has driven prices down to very low levels. I would shop primarily on the basis of service and convenience among Vanguard, Schwab and Fidelity. All have stronger and weaker points, but they are all cheap and competent.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go straight to Vanguard. they just lowered rates on most of their index funds, and overall unless you want to be an active investor I see no value in going elsewhere. I have a couple of other accounts for diversity and keep asking myself why. I make more money, save on fees and never feel like I'm getting hustled. If you want your hand held, others are happy to do it and charge you for it. But......if you don't know what you are doing, get a little help here, from a financial advisor you pay by the hour or elsewhere. good luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #8

For a list of investment books, (and I totally agree with Nords' recommendation of the Ferri book), go to the links section here. Investment & Brokerage - Early-Retirement.org Links Directory
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Competition among the major brokers has driven prices down to very low levels. I would shop primarily on the basis of service and convenience among Vanguard, Schwab and Fidelity. All have stronger and weaker points, but they are all cheap and competent.
You can't go too wrong with any of these three. Vanguard has the most vocal cheering section, obviously. The main reason I'm not with Vanguard (my mom is, though) is because I've been a Schwab customer since 1989 and they really haven't given me reason to take my money elsewhere.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Go straight to Vanguard. Check out "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing" and perhaps "Mutual Funds for Dummies".
+1 This is perfect advice, IMO.

If you go to the Vanguard website you can peruse their funds, and IIRC you can sign up right there, transferring the money from your bank account or wherever it is to Vanguard. I think the initial transfer may take a few days but not long.

My brother recommended Vanguard to me for my first foray into investing, and then (being a cautious soul) I read a lot on the Vanguard Diehards forum at M*star to make sure he was right.* Since then I was and am sold on Vanguard.

*(This is how I originally heard about the ER forum - - from a post on Diehards, back before the Bogleheads board had split off).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You can't go too wrong with any of these three. Vanguard has the most vocal cheering section, obviously. The main reason I'm not with Vanguard (my mom is, though) is because I've been a Schwab customer since 1989 and they really haven't given me reason to take my money elsewhere.
I've got Schwab and Vanguard. As did my father. We noted a big difference in customer service when my dad passed. To the point I've been slowly moving stuff to Schwab. Vanguard is great when you're living, but they kept losing copies of the death certificate and paperwork on multiple types of accounts. (IRA and taxable accounts handled by executor, and 529's for my son's handled by me.)

I still have Vanguard because some of their funds fit my goals well, and I like their 529, even if it the people running it lost the death certificates to transfer it multiple times...

Schwab did everything seamlessly - and also has low costs/good funds. So overall, I'm happier with Schwab.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got Vanguard and Fidelity. Happy with both.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

another +1 for Vanguard...
Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfox1 View Post
I've got Vanguard and Fidelity. Happy with both.
Ditto
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #15

I am with Fidelity and Vanguard. I was with Fidelity and others 1st. Most every time I do analysis to invest in a fund, the winner usually is Vanguard. I am slowly moving my funds there.

Is it safe to say that Schwab has the best customer service of the three?

Comment: Even Vanguard is NOT your friend.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Is it safe to say that Schwab has the best customer service of the three?
I can't say for sure, but I do know it's good enough -- and their rates and offerings competitive enough -- that I haven't felt any need to look for greener pastures.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been with Fidelity, Vanguard and Schwab (401k). I'm all Vanguard now and I think they're the least likely to try to sell you anything you don't want, but I'd be comfortable with any of the three. I'd base my choice on what funds you want to hold, not vice Versa. I was with Fidelity when I held individual stocks and actively managed funds in the Peter Lynch era. Once I quit on individual equities and active funds for low cost index funds, Vanguard had much better choices, so I moved our entire portfolio.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #18

I'm surprised no one said the obvious or, at least, I didn't see it. You need to dump your FA ASAP after you do your homework on index investing and asset allocation. The FA is probably draining most of your market return in normal years and bleeding you dry in a down market. You didn't say what the FA has been putting you into but my experience says its overpriced garbage that makes them a bigger profit.

I'm at Vanguard and ETrade. ETrade is mostly for their on line bank.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'm surprised no one said the obvious or, at least, I didn't see it. You need to dump your FA ASAP after you do your homework on index investing and asset allocation. The FA is probably draining most of your market return in normal years and bleeding you dry in a down market. You didn't say what the FA has been putting you into but my experience says its overpriced garbage that makes them a bigger profit.

I'm at Vanguard and ETrade. ETrade is mostly for their on line bank.
+1. The money saved from dumping the FA can be invested in more mutual funds
Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh so many thanks! I've been pondering the HOW to dump the FA since it seems that we're not getting what we're paying for. But that is another question...