Join Early Retirement Today

Reasons not to like Fidelity
Old 10-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Reasons not to like Fidelity

I've never been a fan of Fidelity and here is another reason.

How the owners of Fidelity get richer at everyday investors' expense
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Johnsons are smart, very smart.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My 401k is with Fidelity and the expense ratio on my investment is 0.02 %. They're not getting rich off of me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
gone traveling

Thats right, try to throw shade by their being good business people
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If you know what happens inside of 249 other fund companies maybe Fidelity wouldn't look too bad.

Let's not get me started on the insurance companies.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just skimmed, but it sounds like they are saying the Johnsons are getting rich off of IPOs.

I really don't expect the ETF/funds that I invest in to chase IPOs, so it doesn't strike me as a conflict. I don't see a problem with this.

It might actually help me - by funding the IPO, these companies come to market, and may someday be big enough to be in one of the indexes?

Or did I miss something relevant to investors like us?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I can see why you're upset. The give me 0 ATM fees worldwide. 0 commission ETF's, free checks, $7.95 stock trades, a .25% annuity fee, a non commission advisor, some of the best retirement planning tools in the industry and lots of other stuff. I feel fleeced.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Without singling out Fido, there's a lot to be concerned with regarding corporate governance these days. Megacorp chose Fido for our 401k and they have earned my trust with their customer support. I'm not likely to have any funds that are competing for IPOs anyway and I'm grateful to Vanguard for their impact on the mutual fund industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

So after these replies, can the OP (retirementguy1) give us a little more background on why they see this as such a negative for investors like us?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
My 401k is with Fidelity and the expense ratio on my investment is 0.02 %. They're not getting rich off of me.
Most of my Fidelity old 401K rolled over to IRA's are costing me about .7% expenses. My new money went into ETF's at about .15%.

When I worked, MegaCorp was paying the expenses. As soon as retirement came, they required us to move our accounts.

My only problem with Fidelity is that many of their funds are not in the top echelon of ROE--vs. other investment companies. With their resources and size, they should be one of the top dogs every year.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I wasn't against having all my eggs in one basket I definitely would have all my accounts with Fidelity. Quick efficient transactions, low costs, superior website tools and above all a great customer service team. If they make money all the better.
And yes I have significant accounts with the Walmart of investing. However the few times I've contacted their customer service I've been underwhelmed. IRA rollovers were the worst.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

My only problem with Fidelity is that many of their funds are not in the top echelon of ROE--vs. other investment companies. With their resources and size, they should be one of the top dogs every year.
What you are seeing may be a result of the article being discussed on this thread - at least in part. Here is another article questioning Fidelity's behavior:

Fidelity insiders chip away at customers' yachts

Interesting also that a recent survey of investment company customers with $500,000 or more in assets showed Fidelity ranked at a relatively poor #13 (out of 31). The top three companies: Vanguard, T. Rowe Price and USAA.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What you are seeing may be a result of the article being discussed on this thread - at least in part. Here is another article questioning Fidelity's behavior:

Interesting also that a recent survey of investment company customers with $500,000 or more in assets showed Fidelity ranked at a relatively poor #13 (out of 31). The top three companies: Vanguard, T. Rowe Price and USAA.
Source?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

LOL, it's basically the same story that the OP posted. Both from Reuters. Wonder what Fidelity did to them to warrant two takes on essentially the same story.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The recent trend has been for mutual funds to invest in pre-ipo stocks or late stage VC type investments. This is not unusual as indicated in the article and even conservative Vanguard has done so. But the screw up thing about Fido is they are not doing it for the mutual funds but their own private fund, which screws the mutual fund investors.

I am glad I have no active funds with Fido. My 401k are all index so less harm can be done with Fido's self dealing.
hlfo718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Source?
Oops. Consumer Reports September issue.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

One more reason to stick with simple index funds (at Fido or elsewhere).
FIREchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Most of my Fidelity old 401K rolled over to IRA's are costing me about .7% expenses. My new money went into ETF's at about .15%.

When I worked, MegaCorp was paying the expenses. As soon as retirement came, they required us to move our accounts.

My 401K will stay at FIDO when I retire. I'm 55 now so I can access it penalty free, not so in an IRA. MY account is electronically linked to my checking account so a few clicks on a computer anywhere in the world and I'm in business.

Nothing but good service from FIDO.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't read the whole hit piece, but I do wonder what kind of funds allow investments in pre-IPO shares. Sounds pretty risky and very opaque. At any rate, nearly all my equity investments are in non-managed ETF's like SPY DVY EFA etc. Overall, I find Fidelity to be pretty good. Their website is a little clunky, but they have great tools, and I can get personal service from a small team of people I know whenever I need it.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had a Fidelity 401k and Rollover/Roth IRAs since sometime in the early 90s. Eventually added UTMA college accts for DD and DS as well as an IRA that I inherited from DM on per passing. I moved all of our personal brokerage to TDA b/c of issues w FIDO trading platform, trading commissions and sales pressure.

I have been hesitant to move the other funds b/c of the hassle of selling all the FIDO mutual funds and picking analogs in TDA or Vanguard or wherever ... I'll likely leave it where it is until the UTMAs are exhausted by tuition bills and/or transferred to the kids after school is over for them.

But after that we will consolidate to one shop and get on with it.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote