Join Early Retirement Today

Rebalance Stock Allocation?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rebalance Stock Allocation?

I currently have my 401k 100% invested in stocks. This is a conscious decision due to my age, pension, and defined contribution plan. My 401k stock allocation has drifted from my initial allocation of:
50% Russell 1000
20% Small Cap
20% International MSCI EAFE
10% Emerging market
I understand the need to rebalance to keep stock and bond allocations at the appropriate AA percentage. However since I am at 100 % stock is there a need to rebalance the individual stock percentages or should I leave them alone? Domestic stocks have done well this year while international stocks have struggled. I anticipate that this will change and I am not trying to time the markets. My desire is to have well diversified portfolio using index funds with low fees....
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are interested in a diversified stock portfolio then, yes, you should rebalance to your target AA.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm also 100% equities, and yes I have a target AA and rebalance to it. Rebalancing with all stocks actually works "better" than rebalancing between stocks and bonds. An all stock portfolio has a bunch of different types of stocks that hopefully will behave differently but still have the same expected long-term returns. By rebalancing, you sell high and buy low and can add a percent or so a year (so I have read) to your returns. Again, that's long-term average. Bonds have a lower expected return, so rebalancing between stocks and bonds is more about risk management than maximizing performance.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Presumably you picked that initial asset allocation for a reason, so unless the reason has changed, why wouldn't you rebalance back to it if your portfolio has strayed far enough away from it? If your portfolio hasn't strayed far enough away, then no need to rebalance.

An Investment Policy Statement that you wrote down back when you first started with this asset allocation should help you decide what "stray far enough away" means.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote