Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Rebalancing the portfolio -- International
Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rebalancing the portfolio -- International

I am note going to move any money from equity to bonds when I rebalance this year. The equity market did that for me.

But we are a bit heavy on Domestic Large Cap stock.

I want to get a little more international exposure.

Is now a good time to rebalance some of our assets to International?

What about moving a little more to domestic small cap equity?

Thoughts please.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I am note going to move any money from equity to bonds when I rebalance this year. The equity market did that for me.

But we are a bit heavy on Domestic Large Cap stock.

I want to get a little more international exposure.

What is your current allocation in these stock asset classes? I like holding both of these, but without knowing your current allocation in them (if any) I don't know if I'd move.

For what it's worth, about 70% of my portfolio is in stocks, and of that, about 1/4 are in international and small caps (about 16-18% of the total portfolio allocation).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I use Vanguard Portfolio watch . It does all the work for me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When was the last time you rebalanced?

International had a huge run up the lst 3-5 years.
Large cap domestic was lagging behind

so if large cap is higher now. I might offer that allocation has been out of whack with market trends and you need to look at whole financial plan, not just two funds.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I use Vanguard Portfolio watch . It does all the work for me .
I have the Vg port watch, but it doesn't do any work for me. Can you please explain about all the work it does for you? I just don't understand. Thanks!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The time to rebalance is when your IPS tells you to. If you don't have an IPS, I strongly advise you write one. It will keep you from asking questions such as these and acting at the wrong time.

Your holdings in international vs. US, small vs. large should be dictated by your asset allocation plan (see IPS statement above), not by your amateur assessment of market conditions.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

Studies show that adding up to 40% international will reduce volatility and improve returns. The appropriate band seems to be between 20%-40%. I'll have to find the study, but in essence:

-Adding more INT to a 20% INT portfolio has a 90% chance of lowering volatility and improving return
I believe this falls to 8X% after you approach 30%. Diminishing returns and all.
innova is offline   Reply With Quote