Join Early Retirement Today

Recession Looming
Old 01-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recession Looming

Brace yourselves. Personally, I would just as soon get it over with.

www.kansascity.com | 01/09/2008 | Goldman Sachs economists say recession may already be here

The problem is that if the Fed continues to cut rates too far... that is what got us where we are today. Rates are too low for too long is not a good solution. They would be better off letting the system purge itself.

I am all for prosecuting some of the (individual CEOs and Officers) opportunist at the banks and mortgage companies that created the sub-prime mess. They knew exactly what would happen. Unleash the federal pit bull (Justice Department) on them and ruin them financially and personally for their flagrant misdeeds... Send a message. "You ruin us (the well being of the country)... we will ruin you." Get the IRS to turn over every rock until they find something.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post

www.kansascity.com | 01/09/2008 | Goldman Sachs economists say recession may already be here

The problem is that if the Fed continues to cut rates too far... that is what got us where we are today. Rates are too low for too long is not a good solution. They would be better off letting the system purge itself.

I am all for prosecuting some of the (individual CEOs and Officers) opportunist at the banks and mortgage companies that created the sub-prime mess. They knew exactly what would happen. Unleash the federal pit bull (Justice Department) on them and ruin them financially and personally for their flagrant misdeeds... Send a message. "You ruin us (the well being of the country)... we will ruin you." Get the IRS to turn over every rock until they find something.
Nah the IRS would rather go after the hard working joe and his wife making 60K a year!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

ahh...that's pretty harsh Chinaco. Besides, what else has the Fed got to do.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Rate cutting is probably going to have little effect this time. It's a insolvency crisis (with a few other crises thrown in), rather than a liquidity crisis.

Example - auto purchases. Auto makers are offering crazy zero percent financing, for years, but they still can't move the metal. We've come to a point that people just don't want or need lots of new cars.

Slash rates to zero, and savor both the zero bound problem and the concept of pushing on a string. It'll be a comfort, but likely won't help overly much.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ahhhh.... when did stupidity become a crime?

Lending money to someone who can not pay it back is not a crime.... stupid, but not a crime...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the most part it has been US auto makers offering 0% financing and Imports on SUV's and such. Try to get 0% on a hybrid. With the exception of the Escape and Mountaineer, thy may have it not sure.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Recession means two consequtive quarters with Negative Growth
Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Recession means two consequtive quarters with Negative Growth

First off, the MSM has to scream DOOM and GLOOM or we wouldn't listen and watch. A great many economists predict a slowing of growth in 2008, but few actually predict a Recession based on its real definition (See Title).

Here's a link with 2008 predictions on growth:

wgdp.bmp (image)

Note, the US' and Europe's growth is forecast around 2%(after inflation). The rest of the world is forecast to grow at a much faster rate.

Another chart from: CARPE DIEM

world.bmp (image)

So, chill out!