Join Early Retirement Today

Re: recession or inflation,gearing portfolio
Old 06-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Go look at the history.* IIRC, commodities did quite well in the bad old days of the 1970s.
I knew a guy in 1979 whose entire portfolio was in gold, diamonds, gold coins, and collectibles.

He didn't figure out what to do until September 1987...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Go look at the history.
indeed! is this part chicken 'n egg?* the econ slump of the 70's being in large part a result of increased energy prices?

Old 06-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
No, that was caused by the reports of TH's car purchases this year (so far)...
I'm done for quite a while. Sold my old gas guzzler truck today for $2500 more than the dealer offered me in trade. First guy that looked at it, so no hassle. Quite a win/win.

And I dont have to put a whole rack of keys on hooks in my kitchen anymore! I can have just one ring in my pocket now and they all fit!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
indeed! is this part chicken 'n egg? the econ slump of the 70's being in large part a result of increased energy prices?
It was a lot more complicated than that, wasn’t it?

Our economy was starting to suck before the ‘73 embargo. Under Tricky Dick Nixon the rate of inflation and unemployment doubled in a year before OPEC (or, as my econ professor called them, the O’PECkers) shut off the taps. Our energy costs tripled overnight and nobody knew how to stop the bleeding. It was like tossing hand grenades into a burning house, it was burning down anyway but was suddenly transformed into a conflagration that was spectacular.

To approximate the effect, imagine going to buy gas next week and seeing regular selling for $8.50 a gallon.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

im not to keen on tips..the way the cpi indexes are manipulated that are linked to the increases im not convinced these will be a good investment..you might get a spike up for 6 months like we just had happen but then right back down again...im convinced these will always lag behind what they really should be,,,,,
Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
It was a lot more complicated than that, wasn’t it?

Our economy was starting to suck before the ‘73 embargo.* Under Tricky Dick Nixon the rate of inflation and unemployment doubled in a year before OPEC (or, as my econ professor called them, the O’PECkers) shut off the taps.* Our energy costs tripled overnight and nobody knew how to stop the bleeding.* It was like tossing hand grenades into a burning house, it was burning down anyway but was suddenly transformed into a conflagration that was spectacular.

To approximate the effect, imagine going to buy gas next week and seeing regular selling for $8.50 a gallon.*
I think that's about right. Kennedy and his successors decided to listen to the advisors saying that guns AND butter was possible (rather than guns OR butter), so they spent money on lots of domestic stuff and a prolonged war. The eventual result was an ugly inflationary environment. Sounds awfully familiar to today, except that some of the domestic spending has been replaced with tax cuts.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think that's about right.* Kennedy and his successors decided to listen to the advisors saying that guns AND butter was possible (rather than guns OR butter), so they spent money on lots of domestic stuff and a prolonged war.* The eventual result was an ugly inflationary environment.* Sounds awfully familiar to today, except that some of the domestic spending has been replaced with tax cuts.
good point on the tax cuts