Join Early Retirement Today

Recommendation for a cloud-based online data backup program?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Recommendation for a cloud-based online data backup program?

Hi:

The hard drive on my laptop currently has about 66 gb of 250 gb free. I also have an external drive that has 51gb of 465 gb filled. I think it is for me to invest in an cloud-based online data backup. I know there are some providers that will store a limited amount of data without a fee. However, the amount of free storage is limited, and I have enough data that I will need to find a fee based data storage provider.

Can you tell me what fee based online data backup you use, what the fee is, and why you chose that particular provider. Thank you for your insight.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You'll need to check out the data limit but I use Google Drive. It was free and has been reliable.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Question for people who want to do online backup of that much data - how long would it take you to restore it?

I guess if I were to do that, I'd want to make sure I had currently used stuff separate from my old stable files, so I could download one group quickly, then the rest at my convenience. Depending how you store a hunk of data, you might end up waiting for the whole thing just to get that one file you updated yesterday that you need NOW.

I guess I would not rely on on-line for everything, but consider it one more backup. A portable hard drive is pretty fast and cheap.

-ERD50
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
You'll need to check out the data limit but I use Google Drive. It was free and has been reliable.
Only 5 GB storage is free -- a fairly puny amount. And even the 25GB storage for $30 (a year) seems inadequate to the OP's needs. What did I miss?

https://www.google.com/intl/en_US/dr...tml?authuser=0
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess I would not rely on on-line for everything, but consider it one more backup. A portable hard drive is pretty fast and cheap.
Yes, that is correct. If (big if) used as an additional backup, however, its main advantage is that it is remote -- it is hard to protect your data against damage onsite. As if you stored your portable hard drive in, for instance, a safety deposit box... except for the immediate access part.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Limitations with online backups is the speed of your internet service. Backing up large amounts of data isn't practical with most internet services. Just a couple of DVDs ( 10GBs ) would take more than 24hrs for most. The initial backup could take several days, then after that it would be doing differentials. Also the restore would take forever. Some servers will just ship a hard drive to you ( extra cost ) which would be quicker than downloading it.

Really depends on the amount of data. I would back your critical items online, like maybe your quicken files. NAS RAID storage is relatively cheap, usb HDs are cheap.

Biggest advantage to online is that it is offsite remote but it is slow.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, I just want to make one correction to my initial post. The following sentence should read- I also have an external drive that has 51gb of 465 gb FREE.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Uploading data is pretty slow; downloading quite a bit faster, but still, hardly "immediate"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Uploading data is pretty slow; downloading quite a bit faster, but still, hardly "immediate"...
Yeah, again, you are, of course, correct. I was, however, thinking of the availablility of, for instance, Safety Deposit Boxes on weekends/holidays... or if you are "on the road" in some far-off distant land.

(Full disclosure: I do not use the "Cloud" for any full backup purposes, only for individual files. Nor do I expect to in the forseeable future.)
Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
(Full disclosure: I do not use the "Cloud" for any full backup purposes, only for individual files. Nor do I expect to in the forseeable future.)
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #11

I just changed over to a new cloud. I duplicate sensitive data on two local computers and on the cloud to avoid loss. Heaven forbid I lose any of DW's photos! Here's my observations:

Most cloud backups seem to use the same amount of your local disk as you are using in the cloud. Thus they are "backups", not solely cloud storage. I had to relocate most of them (Google, Dropbox, Skydrive, Insync) off my small C drive and onto my bigger data drive. Watchout they aren't storing file version data there as well. I'm not sure you will be saving much hard drive space.

My old provider was Jungle Disk, using the Amazon cloud storage. I was at about 120 GB total and spending about $18/month. Amazon charges I/O fees in addition to GB fees, so activity costs. I believe this is the only cloud drive I looked at that didn't keep everything on a local drive. It did have a buffer space, but it was a fraction of the total storage used. I was looking for something cheeper when Google Drive came out. Other than cost, I liked my existing service.

Google costs $10 for 200GB of storage, cheaper than I was paying and with more storage area. I signed up for it and started uploading 30GB or so as a start. It was taking forever, as in probably months just for that. Turns out its a known problem for many Google users, though not for all. Very slow (<1 Mbit/sec), much less than just ISP limits. That kind of made Google impossible.

Insync (www.insynchq.com) is a PC client that works with your Google Drive. Turns out I didn't have the slow upload problem using this interface. It is free now. They say they are in beta testing, so the future cost is not known. But it works perfectly for now. One nice thing is that it can work with many Google Drives. I use my paid one for backup and a couple of free ones for phone and family file syncing and transfer. So far Google won't do that on its own. Hopefully if Insync starts charging Google will get its act together by then. I can still use Google's interface if necessary, so there is some flexibility.

Of course I'm limited in upload/download speed (premium cable) and my ISP also caps my total data use up and down for the month. I tried to split my data upload to the Insync/Google Drive into two months and I'll have to watch how much Netflix I watch for the rest of the month. Hopefully I won't have to change cloud providers very often. This would make a true cloud drive (no local storage on the computer) almost impractical for me. For example, I have an email file that's about 0.5GB in size that is modified every time I get a new email. I now back that up weekly. I wouldn't want to access it, or sync it, from the cloud multiple times each day.

Dropbox was expensive. I looked at Skydrive and installed it. I think it topped out at 100GB. I installed it but didn't really use it. Google was about the same cost. I also installed something from my ISP, with 50GB free storage. Couldn't get that off my C drive.

For me this is all about off-site backup for safety. If all you want is storage, add a 1+ TB local drive to a computer or NAS drive to your local area network. The NAS might be nice. At least you can probably place it someplace different in your house (though it still needs a network connection), and it can have tons of pretty cheap storage. The cloud won't beat it for cost.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I use Carbonite which is about $5 a month for unlimited data backup. Yes, it is slow, but most data only has to be backed up once. It is my backup of last resort. I use it in addition to my normal backups on a hard drive. It is my off-site backup and I would only use it in the event some disaster completely destroyed my computer, my backup drives and probably most of my house. If you sign up for 3 years the price drops to about $4 a month.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I use Carbonite...
Same here.

Don't have to think about it; it's automatic, and even though slow for the initial backup (mine was 5x24) it puts my critical data (including all A/V) outside my home - which is subject to theft/fire/etc.

For about a dollar a week, it's cheap insurance.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I use Acronis True Image for backups. Currently, I am backing up to Local HDs. Acronis offers a Cloud Option for $4.99 a month or $49.00 a year for 250 GB of Storage. There are a number of features that make this attractive and should be looked at.

One of the reasons I use True Image is that it keeps me informed by e-mail of the results of individual backups across four different computers. This is particularly important when I am on the road and do not have the computers in sight. (But can access them remotely.) I am sure most backup software has a similar feature. Anyway, I have three backups, on each of the four machines, made every night between Midnight and 4:00 AM -- System/partitions (common called a full backup), files, and Archive (which are files that are duplicates of important data on local backup HDs).

I did have this Cloud brought to my attention this morning -- I know nothing of it beyond what's contained in this link:

Yandex Disk Brings Cloud File Management & Sharing To Windows 8
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

This is from an e-mail they sent me a couple weeks ago:

Quote:
Today, I am excited to announce that Pogoplug is now offering cloud storage with no limits for $4.95/month. Now is the perfect time to subscribe, but donít just take our word for itóMark Milian at Bloomberg said: ďAmid all the online storage providers offering tiered pricing, Pogoplug Cloud has a different approach: Skyís the limit."
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #16

Rats, I may have to switch clouds again. I know Acronis and Carbonite have been around for quite a while. Pogoplug is a startup, so I might wait on that one.

I remember Carbonite didn't match well with me compared to Jungle Disk. I like to use it like a locally mounted disk drive. Carbonite looks like it hides everything behind its interface. Strictly backup and restore.

Acronis looks a little better, though with an up front software purchase (right?) that might be bad for multiple platforms.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #17

I use MozyHome. I've been using it for a few years and I've been quite satisfied with it. I'm backing up about 62GB which moved me up to their second price tier which is $10 a month for up to 125GB.

My initial backup took days. Incremental backups now happen twice a day at times when I'm not usually on and take minutes.

I've done one full restore, which completed in a couple of days as I recall. And I've done selective file restores which are very fast.

It's now set up to do backups locally as well as online.

Coach
Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Some servers will just ship a hard drive to you ( extra cost ) which would be quicker than downloading it.
Any idea which services will do this? With music files, my backup is over 250gb...I would rather send a drive than do that initial backup online.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
Any idea which services will do this? With music files, my backup is over 250gb...I would rather send a drive than do that initial backup online.
Carbonite does Frequently Asked Questions | Carbonite

I think CrashPlan and Idrive also

To get the initial backup done you can send them the backup on HD. It can take forever with the initial one for large amounts of data. The follow on are incrementals so they don't take as long ( unless you are generating large amounts of new data )
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
gone traveling

If you have a friend out there with extra HD space, CrashPlan offers a free application that lets both of you do automatic backups on eachother's PC's.

I have ~100GB of photos that I never want to lose, and my friend and I host backups of eachothers stuff. It's pretty easy to set up, and free... you just need a willing participant.