Recommendation Reading For Investing and Wealth Building

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Please, feel free to add listing of YOUR personal recommendation for reading to enhance knowledge in finance and investing.

Thanks

Enuff2Eat

1. Think and Grow Rich    by Napoleon Hill
2. Nothing Down in 2000 by Allen Robert
3. Rich Dad Poor Dad       by Robert Kiyasoki
4. Courge to be Rich        by Sue Orman
5. Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley

these are the few that i read. please add more so we can read and learn some more from your personal collection. thanks again

Here are three that I keep coming back to:

"The Four Pillars of Investing" by William Bernstein.

"How to Retire Early and Live Well" by Gillette Edmunds.

"Cashing In on the American Dream" by Paul Terhorst.

Get Rich Slowly - Jeremy Siegel (I think)

Fundamentals of corporate finance - Brealey & Myers

Any fixed income book from Sundaresan

Damodaran's big gay book of valuation (not really the title, but I can't remember it)

Financial Instruments and Financial Institutions by Ryan

Enuff2Eat said:
Please, feel free to add listing of YOUR personal recommendation for reading to enhance knowledge in finance and investing.

Thanks

Enuff2Eat

1. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
2. Nothing Down in 2000 by Allen Robert
3. Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyasoki
4. Courge to be Rich by Sue Orman
5. Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley

these are the few that i read. please add more so we can read and learn some more from your personal collection. thanks again

I USED to like RICH DAD, but read this site for kicks....

www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - one of the newer editions - preferably for free from your local library.

Heh, heh.

Better yet - don't bother reading any books - invest in Vanguard Target Retirement Series appropriate for your age and postion in the accum./ER cycle - as early and as often as you can.

Trust in De Gaul and the Norwegian widow.

thefed said:
I USED to like RICH DAD, but read this site for kicks....

www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

You're missing the point.  As long as the book teach me something, and somewhat make sense. i DO NOT care if the book title "the 3 little pigs" or "robinhood" or "poor uncle and rich aunt" nor if i care if the characters are real or not.  they just are marketing tools to make the point. you just got to look at the "point" if you are so worry about every detail then don't watch TV or movie or read anymore cause every character in the movie are NOT real.

rich dad has millions and millions of followers because what he said somewhat  "make sense" i don't believe everything he said but i do know johntreed is pathatic. there are enough website trash about him too.

check rich dad forum. you will see these topic had been discussed a million time.

i need more books recommedation. please.

I am not impressed with Kiyosaki. "His" (and I use the term loosely) books are long on enthusiasm, short on details. Naturally YMMV.

Well, I already assigned you some heavy reading, but here's a couple more:

Investment Analysis & Portfolio Management by Reilly and Brown
Futures, Options & Swaps by Kolb et al.

I also think you would benefit greatly from reading a book on behavioral finance/investor psychology. There are several books out there, since it is a hot topic and not overly quantitative (so easily popularized/bowdlerized). Of the top of my head, one title is "Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes" or words to that effect.

Mr Kiyosaki's books are quite full of BS. He has some good points but most of this is surrounded by complete bluff and crap. Some suggestions are straightout stupid or dangerous for someone's (financial) health. Of course it is known that many wealthy people are business owners and many of them made it without a degree. However, to suggest to skip education and just start your own business is quite foolish since it does not work for 99% of the population. Everything sounds easy but has no detail and sure does not mention the hard work and knowledge that is required. However, I sure like to sell his crap books since they sell within minutes or seconds that I put them online. Nothing else sells that fast.

Vicky

brewer12345 said:
I am not impressed with Kiyosaki.  "His" (and I use the term loosely) books are long on enthusiasm, short on details.  Naturally YMMV.

I always laugh when I see someone talking about this book or even when his infomercial comes on TV. In one of his books, he has stories about people who have gotten rich by following his plan. One of the people he touts filed bankruptcy in Maricopa County after the book was written.  I truly believe the only way he is rich is by selling his books.

My favorties -

The Wealthy Barber by Chilton
Four Pillars of Investing by Bernstein
Commonsense on Mutual Funds by Bogle
Intelligent Investorby Graham
Intelligent Asset Allocator by Bernstein

JohnTReed.com has a article on Rich dad, Poor Dad. I've read it, but the psychological aspect is too weird.

Don't forget our own ESRBob's book Work Less, Live More- see the link on the bottom of the forum.

I haven't finished it yet, so I won't offer a review, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.

Sheryl, Please do post your review when you're ready.  I can't wait for my copy to arrive, it should be any time now.

jj

jj said:
Sheryl, Please do post your review when you're ready.  I can't wait for my copy to arrive, it should be any time now.

jj

Will do.  I had a nasty cold this weekend, so I couldn't really focus on anything that involved thinking about numbers - I just flipped around reading the anecdotes and had fun recognizing a few "characters" from the board!

Amazon.com says they only have three copies of ESRBob's book left in stock (more to come). Hope for his sake their initial order was a big one and he's got himself a "best seller". :)

Bumping!

Also, FYI just ordered ESR Bob's "Work Less, Live More" book on Amazon (read the reviews so far from Nords, Yakers and Sheryl at http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=4801.0 which helped determine my decision - thanks!), combined it with Ben Graham's "The Intelligent Investor" and got free shipping!! Make sure to order Bob's book via the link below (at bottom of this page) so Dory (forum administrator who kindly covers all expenses for us to be able to use this great - FREE - forum ;)) gets credit (small percentage) for the purchase.

I have read a lot of books from Suze Orman, Rich-Dad (who is full of himself) & "Wealthy Barber" (beginning level stuff) to TRYING to read the "Four Pillars" book and getting part way through the "Intelligent Investor." The two last ones I got from the library after reading recommendations here. Four Pillars is REALLY dry! Good to put you to sleep! I will attempt to read it once again after I get a little further in my "studies." I liked the Graham book (that's why I'm buying it!! But it was much more to read than I could do with a library book - not fair to renew forever, is it? I will let you know my final review later but it seems much more readable than the Four Pillars.

Other books: (get from library first, then buy if you like it)

anything by Ric Edelman is hooey - he seems pretty full of it & pushing his product
Wealthy Barber - very elementary (save 10% of salary is theme) not bad to start
Liked Charles Schwab's book, "guide to financial independence"
Suze Orman basically says the same in all her stuff but does lay a groundwork of basics of what you need to do to get your financial house in order
Liked Peter Lynch's "Learn to Earn" - easy read, made sense
Liked Paul Merriman's "Live it up without Outliving Your Money" but I think that one needs to be taken with a grain of salt (other comments on this one, fellow forum members?)
Millionaire Next Door is a good read and can be an eye opener

can't think of anymore now (plus my 17 yo DD wants the computer! She just finished work, so I will be nice :))

Remember to just go into your local library or bookstore and browse in the investing and personal finance sections - don't need to buy! Also Ebay is a good source for used (and new) books.

Enjoy!

Jane :)

Read "The Coffeehouse Investor"  by Bill Schultheis.    :-*

Momtwo said:
I always laugh when I see someone talking about this book or even when his infomercial comes on TV. In one of his books, he has stories about people who have gotten rich by following his plan. One of the people he touts filed bankruptcy in Maricopa County after the book was written. I truly believe the only way he is rich is by selling his books.

I guess everyone has their own opinion, but for the record I am in the book (Success Stories) and found that his books have been helpful in accomplishing my goals.

1. Live it Up without outliving your money---Merriman ( good read for retirement planning)
2. The World is Flat--Friedman (not an investment book directly, but provides insight as to tomorrows trends)
3. The Visual Investor- -Murphy (only if you care about T.A.)
4. Profiting in Bull and Bear markets--Stan Weinstein (oldie, but a goody if you want still more T.A.)

Back
Top Bottom