Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting bUU.... we found something that we cold agree on... who'd have thunk it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I just remembered another path I had found on this ER forum. It is an extremely detailed spreadsheet that seems to be supported and frequently updated from the Bogleheads forum. Here's a link to the overview and it has a link to download the free spreadsheet:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97352
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

I pre-plan my taxes (Roth conversions and quarterly payments) in detail each year taxes using Intuit taxcaster or a planning xls like: https://sites.google.com/site/excel1...er-new-tax-law

As for how the tax optimized (love 0% LTCG) plan evolves over the years, I currently only have a simple xlsx for tracking the shrinking qualified accts.

At different times, it's very helpful to use the online tools.
Maybe you could use round numbers and browser private mode or a VPN, maybe opera browser...
kskmfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
I just remembered another path I had found on this ER forum. It is an extremely detailed spreadsheet that seems to be supported and frequently updated from the Bogleheads forum. Here's a link to the overview and it has a link to download the free spreadsheet:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97352
I've been reading this thread because I have the same question - how best to withdraw money given that I have most of my money in tax deferred accounts and all the variables that go along with the withdraw with an eye on reducing taxes. The tread and the spread sheet show that this is a pretty complex analysis and it is also a very important thing to understand. I'll do my best to absorb it. Thanks all for the information.

For my rant, it is this: I go to the FA (Fidelity) and they want to charge me about 1% (which on my $2M is $20K/year) for what I can tell is to handle my portfolio. I find this no more complicated than figuring out a comfort level for an asset allocation and managing it (rebalancing it) on a regular basis. Something I can do. Then I ask them about taxes and an analysis on a withdraw scenario and they have a blank stare. I would be much more willing to pay them to handle the withdraw function in a tax beneficial manner - something I understand but find it hard to do and which will take more time than I care to commit. I think this has much more potential to get screwed up than managing my asset allocation. And, in doing so, cost some real money. My simple example is riding the 12% tax bracket and then realizing you have a large one time expense - like a roof. Well, if not planned correctly, that roof can cost an extra 10% (going from 12% to 22%). Thanks to this forum, I learned and obtained a HELOC to give me some flexibility. It just seems like this is an area that some professional help, coordinated with your FA would be worth spending a bit of money on and again, all I got is a blank stare from Fidelity. If I was going to hand over my money to a full service advisor, they would certainly have to have a very good handle on this topic.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know people refer to I-orp.org but I understand that has its faults as well.

Any of these "calculators' will have different attributes and assumptions. I really find building my own spreadsheet is worth the $20,000 I would have to spend on someone else doing the same thing.

I understand saving is the easy part. Figuring out how to spend it is the hard part yeah?