Record Dow! Whee!

Maybe, maybe not. Japan's endless economic night doesn't seem to have particlarly hurt the US, BRIC, or much of anyone else, and they are a quite large economy.
Yea, but we account for 1/3 of Japan's exports and Japan's economy is only
1/4 of ours. They only account for ~10% of our imports.
Ditto for China, Germany, US stops buying their goods, they will feel the
pain.
TJ

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
cool.gif
WHOOEEEE, cher! I got nosebleed, me!

since year end +15.4%
1 year +24.5%
3 year +20.6%
5 year +21.2%

Mebbee I can actually retire some day.

Pigs Get Fat Hogs Get Slaughtered

Always nice to see great gains but remember to pull back some of your profits.. You will sleep better at night.

It reminds me of me years ago, bragging about my 37% return. Things started going sour but my so called "financial experts" told me you have to look long term so stay in and ride it out. Then I lost everything gained and much of what I contributed. Took many years to get back to even. I should have listened to my gut and not have been so greedy.

What's wrong with my thinking that I'm surprised to see that both my equities and "full faith and credit" funds are nicely up?

What's wrong with my thinking that I'm surprised to see that both my equities and "full faith and credit" funds are nicely up?
The old joke is that if everything you own goes up at once then you're not properly diversified. We've had several of those this year.

Berkshire Hathaway started another runup last week... 12% YTD.

The old joke is that if everything you own goes up at once then you're not properly diversified. We've had several of those this year.

Exactly. I recently bailed down to 4% equities and am on the way toward a new AA which will increase equities using new money and excess yield. Should get up to 10% equities within about 9 months and then move on toward 25%, etc. Its amusing because my old AA (67% equities) really balanced so that the bottom line didn't move for a long time--also a plan I won't repeat.

Lost money on the golf course today and...........

more in the stock market. What kind of retirement is this?:'(

Hey! Our gold stock BGEIX gained almost exactly what our Hewlett-Packard lost. Pretty cool! Ended up loosing just as many dollars for the day as the number of points the Dow lost. Can you tell we don't have a great wad in the market? If tomorrow brings another crummy day i may actually splurge and buy something boring.

You are a risk taker. Tomorrow is Saturday. ;)

Ahh. the life of a landlord is lacking in "weekends" - so investors have to actually track days of the week? This may get too complicated ...

more in the stock market. What kind of retirement is this?:'(
The difference is that if you work hard on the stock market you'll get better with age.

Sellers went nuts today. Wish we didn't already have everything fully invested...

The difference is that if you work hard on the stock market you'll get better with age.

Sellers went nuts today. Wish we didn't already have everything fully invested...
I'm taking care of my mom's investments since my dad passed a couple years ago. He moved everything into money markets before he died to make it simple for my mom. Today I moved a good chunk of it (about 20%) back into the market, about a half hour before the close after seeing a pretty decent entry point developing.

I suspect this may not be your first day of wishing that, obviously this is a requirement in the macro condition to achieve a top in the market.

Make a little gain....Take a little profits.... The race is won by those who don't get greedy...Pigs and Hogs........Tortise and Hare.....

I suspect this may not be your first day of wishing that, obviously this is a requirement in the macro condition to achieve a top in the market.
Dude, that was a golfing joke. Lighten up and laugh a little. And no "wishing" required-- my stock market performance is a lot better than my golfing ever was.

Our ER portfolio dropped 1.8% today, compared to the Dow's 2.6% drop, and we're still up 6.8% YTD. I see this as yet another buying opportunity...

Our ER portfolio dropped 1.8% today, compared to the Dow's 2.6% drop, and we're still up 6.8% YTD. I see this as yet another buying opportunity...

Interesting my portfolio also dropped 1.8% today, and I'm also looking at buying. If I ever drop off the internet for several months (like sailing the South Pacific) I know who I want to keep an eye on my portfolio.

I am curious is anybody else spooked that this dropped happened 20 years to the day after the 1987 crash. Is this a pure coincidence or a self-fullfilling prophesy?

Unlike the 1987 crash, which I had the misfortune of staying home sick, and getting to watch unfold in real time, but could not get my online quotes. I was blissfully unaware of this correction until after the market closed.

Is this a pure coincidence or a self-fullfilling prophesy?
Must be the latter.

Our portfolio only dropped by 1.17%, but it's a big thing for us.

I've still got too many accts (I didn't say too much money) and have them loaded at Morningstar can't get the portfolio page to open, to tired to actually do the math (please send help) :)
Wet finger in the air down about 1% today so a few hours ago I grabbed 10% of my cash and bought some more small cap value.

I must be geeting old and jaded. Down 350 points? Is that the best you can do? I crapped bigger things than that!

Back
Top Bottom