Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The difference is that if you work hard on the stock market you'll get better with age.

Sellers went nuts today. Wish we didn't already have everything fully invested...
I'm taking care of my mom's investments since my dad passed a couple years ago. He moved everything into money markets before he died to make it simple for my mom. Today I moved a good chunk of it (about 20%) back into the market, about a half hour before the close after seeing a pretty decent entry point developing.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The difference is that if you work hard on the stock market you'll get better with age.

Sellers went nuts today. Wish we didn't already have everything fully invested...

I suspect this may not be your first day of wishing that, obviously this is a requirement in the macro condition to achieve a top in the market.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Make a little gain....Take a little profits.... The race is won by those who don't get greedy...Pigs and Hogs........Tortise and Hare.....
Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
I suspect this may not be your first day of wishing that, obviously this is a requirement in the macro condition to achieve a top in the market.
Dude, that was a golfing joke. Lighten up and laugh a little. And no "wishing" required-- my stock market performance is a lot better than my golfing ever was.

Our ER portfolio dropped 1.8% today, compared to the Dow's 2.6% drop, and we're still up 6.8% YTD. I see this as yet another buying opportunity...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Our ER portfolio dropped 1.8% today, compared to the Dow's 2.6% drop, and we're still up 6.8% YTD. I see this as yet another buying opportunity...

Interesting my portfolio also dropped 1.8% today, and I'm also looking at buying. If I ever drop off the internet for several months (like sailing the South Pacific) I know who I want to keep an eye on my portfolio.

I am curious is anybody else spooked that this dropped happened 20 years to the day after the 1987 crash. Is this a pure coincidence or a self-fullfilling prophesy?

Unlike the 1987 crash, which I had the misfortune of staying home sick, and getting to watch unfold in real time, but could not get my online quotes. I was blissfully unaware of this correction until after the market closed.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Is this a pure coincidence or a self-fullfilling prophesy?
Must be the latter.

Our portfolio only dropped by 1.17%, but it's a big thing for us.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Must be the latter.

Our portfolio only dropped by 1.17%, but it's a big thing for us.
Mine dropped 1.2% today. Maybe I will win some back on the golf course tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Down 1.2% here, too. Feels kind of good: sky is falling according to the media, and I took nothing more than a little ding.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've still got too many accts (I didn't say too much money) and have them loaded at Morningstar can't get the portfolio page to open, to tired to actually do the math (please send help)
Wet finger in the air down about 1% today so a few hours ago I grabbed 10% of my cash and bought some more small cap value.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I must be geeting old and jaded. Down 350 points? Is that the best you can do? I crapped bigger things than that!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Greed is good. Now another quick 5-6000 point drop and I'll back up the the truck - maybe take a Heloc on on the house, go higher than 65% stocks, etc, etc.

Or not. Might just watch a little football, buy a couple Norwegian widow stocks, and let my lifecycle fund auto rebalance.

Geaux Saints!

heh heh heh -
Old 10-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #52

My portfolio dropped 1.2% -- but from the media hoopla all day yesterday, you would have thought the bottom had fallen out completely. I wonder a bit about how much of the market is driven by these "skies are falling" stories.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a few short weeks ago the market was plummeting with no bottom in site. The FED bailed it out by pumping billions into the economy and cutting interest rates. There definately is a major problem and the FED can not manipulate the market forever. Eventually the housing bust, weak dollar, out of control government spending, credit crunch and high oil prices will catch up to us. It is not doom and gloom, it is just facing reality. The only reason the market had been going up the last few weeks is that the economy is so bad that another interest cut is expected.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Interesting my portfolio also dropped 1.8% today...
Both our portfolios are probably contaminated with too much Intel stock...

Quote:
... and I'm also looking at buying.
... and that's probably the cause of the Intel problem.

Quote:
If I ever drop off the internet for several months (like sailing the South Pacific) I know who I want to keep an eye on my portfolio.
Inquire about our low low rates! No service charges will be applied if bad things happen to your portfolio while I happen to be out surfing temporarily unavailable.

Quote:
I am curious is anybody else spooked that this dropped happened 20 years to the day after the 1987 crash. Is this a pure coincidence or a self-fullfilling prophesy?
Friday's market drop was pure coincidence.

This coming Monday's meltdown will be the self-fulfilling prophesy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

This coming Monday's meltdown will be the self-fulfilling prophesy...
Monday will be real interesting. It could go either way unless there is some really bad news.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #56

It's the FOX Business Channel Effect:

Quote:
IS FOX BUSINESS NEWS BAD FOR THE MARKET?

Network began on Monday. Market since Monday:

Eschaton

Old 10-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hey! Our gold stock BGEIX gained almost exactly what our Hewlett-Packard lost. Pretty cool! Ended up loosing just as many dollars for the day as the number of points the Dow lost. Can you tell we don't have a great wad in the market? If tomorrow brings another crummy day i may actually splurge and buy something boring.
Errr - just took a Saturday look at our stuff - was going to have this great post about how one of the virtues of having low gaining stocks was the slow losing - no such luck. The above post was inaccurate. We are down for the day as of 10/20 1.35%, red top to bottom... I know BGEIX updates once a day, looks like some of the others do as well. Or the pony carrying the latest news from the outside just made it into town.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #58
Administrator

Down 1.9% yesterday. Still up 16.1% YTD. Currently sitting tight.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Monday will be real interesting. It could go either way unless there is some really bad news.
I would expect a rebound, personally. If not, the slide will be short lived.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I would expect a rebound, personally. If not, the slide will be short lived.
Only if the Fed cuts interest rates again. If not, the fall could last a while.