Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Razor, bears need thick skin around here. You have to realize that "the market always goes up" is not just the religion here, but it's how ER's pay the bills, and it's how wanna-be-ER's make it to ER-dom.

We've had a great bull run, with returns far in excess of economic growth. While it's true that the market usually takes back excess returns, people want to believe that they get to keep them.
If there were no bears, who would sell their shares to me? I live in the S.F. Bay Area, I never wanted to own a house, for 35 years I've been saying (more and more quietly!): the Housing market does not always go up, look at Chicago in the '70s....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I was just wondering what a 34 year old is doing on a forum like this anyway. No offence, just wondering.
Ekk, if you think 34 is young and shouldn't be here.. ...
*Hides for a few more decades*

Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Heh, what's up with the age discrimimation comment! Is 34 too young to start planning for ER?
LOL!!! And I thought that at 59, I was almost too old for this board. If I had started at 34, compound interest would have done all my work and I would not have had to LBYM quite so hard these past few years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So what is the AGE requirement for this forum??
Just curious to why a 34 year old would be interested in this forum. That's all. Don't make it more than it is. If he is in a position to retire soon, he sure doesn't need any advice from here . If not he should invest in tech stocks and bury his head in the sand for 20 years.
From his first response I read, I thought he was a crusty old man in his 70s. I was surprised to see his age.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought he was a crusty old man in his 70s.
Yeah, I get that a lot. But I am really a 16 YO girl from Missoula, just like uncle mick.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #126
Administrator

Quote:
Just curious to why a 34 year old would be interested in this forum. That's all. Don't make it more than it is. If he is in a position to retire soon, he sure doesn't need any advice from here . If not he should invest in tech stocks and bury his head in the sand for 20 years.
From his first response I read, I thought he was a crusty old man in his 70s. I was surprised to see his age.
ROFL!!! And I was thinking of gently cautioning Brewer that he was sounding like a brilliant but very young man (which I gather from his posts, he is). "Very young" to me, means under 40.

Had you considered reading on the board for a while? It often helps one to get to know who you are "talking" to, before misunderstandings like this come up.

Also, it seems to me that if someone is thinking of retiring at around 40-45 or so, they would benefit by reading and participating in conversations on this board at 34.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
ROFL!!! And I was thinking of gently cautioning Brewer that he was sounding like a brilliant but very young man (which I gather from his posts, he is). "Very young" to me, means under 40.

Had you considered reading on the board for a while? It often helps one to get to know who you are "talking" to, before misunderstandings like this come up.

Also, it seems to me that if someone is thinking of retiring at around 40-45 or so, they would benefit by reading and participating in conversations on this board at 34.
I just got here, but probably won't stay. I like forums where others want to hear different opinions and alternate points of view, instead of just into name calling.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I just got here, but probably won't stay. I like forums where others want to hear different opinions and alternate points of view, instead of just into name calling.
There are some people here who like to explore different viewpoints. Well, a few. OK, there are only 2 or 3, but we could use more company.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #129

Quote:
I am not a bear or a bull. Just a realist that tries to look at all the factors that could affect my future and I don't like to bury my head in the sand.
Dissenting views are really not tolerated in any way in this forum. The belief in stocks only going up has really permeated and formented in the top posters. I read this board to give me ideas for when I would like to increase my investments, I find many of the ideas truly worthy but questioning the timing is certainly not allowed
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No don't leave. This is just getting interesting...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #131
Administrator

Quote:
I hope you stay; there are people here who want to hear what you have to say. It has been my experience that people will seldom post to say that they agree with the initial poster unless or until the opposition weighs in. Typically the first responses on macro-economic and political issues are in opposition to the original poster. Only after that occurs will you learn you have allies.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
May I recommend Fat Wallet? Lots of folks there with mad keyboarding skillz, strong opinions, and lots of juice. Crazy credentials too - lots of CEO/entrepreneur sub-30yo millionaires. Seems like a lot of the folks here have little hats. Even the CEOs. Not counting Cheap Fluffy Bunny, who has both a big hat and a flamethrower.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #133
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
May I recommend Fat Wallet? Lots of folks there with mad keyboarding skillz, strong opinions, and lots of juice. Crazy credentials too - lots of CEO/entrepreneur sub-30yo millionaires. Seems like a lot of the folks here have little hats. Even the CEOs. Not counting Cheap Fluffy Bunny, who has both a big hat and a flamethrower.
Big hats? Little hats? I'm not even sure what you mean, but many of us aren't CEO's and some of us don't even have hats at all!

Seriously, I hope nothing I said caused any offense to Razor or anybody else.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #134

Me and my hat:

Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am 33 and love this board, yet I am not in a position to retire anytime soon. To me retiring early is a journey which starts well before your retirement date. It takes years of saving, planning, learning and investing. That's why I'm here. I want to learn how others did it, and share my experiences (and opinions) with others along the way.

I respect your pessimism about the market. In the short term I am not very bullish about it myself. But if I have to remain bullish about the market for the long term (20-30 years), call it faith if you will, otherwise it would make no sense for me to continue investing in stocks. And I think most people on this board were able or will be able to retire thanks to the stock market. It would make no sense for them to be pessimistic about the market in the long run when most of their money is invested in it. Could we be all be wrong at the end? perhaps! But in the mean time we have to believe... Investing I think has a lot to do with faith. If you do not believe that you will end up making money with an investment, you'd never invest your money in the first place and you would just stick it under the mattress...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Dissenting views are really not tolerated in any way in this forum. The belief in stocks only going up has really permeated and formented in the top posters.
This is not true. I have over 5000 posts since Spring 2003. I have been cautious the whole time, to the point of dropping probably $35,000 on unexercised puts-and that is net of cashing quite a few. Que lastima! I should have bought tech and buried my head in the sand.

It may be true that the dominant attitude is that stocks only go up, but it is far from the only attitude.

Ha
Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Want2retire;569399]Big hats? Little hats? I'm not even sure what you mean, but many of us aren't CEO's and some of us don't even have hats at all!
quote]

Taken, if memory serves, from board hero Robert Kiyosaki's story of the Texan who claimed he had a small hat but lots of cattle. Apocryphal story i'm sure. Texan. small hat. right. Still, i think well of those who put the big bills on the inside of their bank roll. Me, I'm in trouble with the physical therapist for doing yardwork in the rain at some apartments this weekend. What part of "work" does he not understand?!

Twaddle: really like the tinfoil hat! like a cross between a Bishop's mitre , a duncecap, and a Napoleonic hat. Kinda lacking in full brainpan coverage, but the pointy nature surely has some benefit!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are having difficulty on this forum, it may be becasue of pushy posts like the one above.

While we might be interested in what you have to say about investments, who cares what you think about how old someone should be to do, think, or say whatever?

Ha
Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #139

Quote:
Actually, seeing as this board is about *early* retirement, I'd turn the tables here: Why would someone in their 70s be interested?

Unless, of course, they were FIREd well before the "standard" retirement age and wanted to share their wisdom. Then again, if that "wisdom" was to get a generous early retirement incentive with a fat pension and early retiree medical as well as Social Security while it's solvent and mostly not means-tested, it's not of much use to most people in subsequent generations who are almost certain to not have the same deal available to them...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It may be true that the dominant attitude is that stocks only go up, but it is far from the only attitude.

Ha
True. If we thought stocks only go up, we wouldn't put any money in bonds, commodities, etc... I think most on here hedge our bets.

Now, time for a mid afternoon glass of wine for this rainy day. Hey, whatever happened to Cut?