Record Dow! Whee!

Yesterday I saw a very impressive and old looking crystal ball, sitting at the back of a dusty shelf at an antique store in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. It looked like it had been there for years.

If you looked into it very carefully, through the misty swirls of old crystal, you could see a scorpion that had been imbedded into the center of it when it was made.

Just thought that some here might appreciate the mental imagery. I was going to buy it until I saw what was inside! Does not bode well for the crystal ball gazers.

How much was it? Would make a great conversation piece in my office.........kinda the "Ultimate Magic 8-ball"...........I can see saying:

"Let's see what the Crystal Ball Scorpion has to say"...........

How much was it? Would make a great conversation piece in my office.........kinda the "Ultimate Magic 8-ball"...........I can see saying:

It wasn't much. It was small, (maybe 4-5" diameter), and it must have been resin instead of crystal, because they managed to get the scorpion inside somehow. Sure looked like crystal but it was yellowing and cloudy with some mystical looking swirls. I am pretty sure that the price tag was under $50 though I don't recall the exact amount. I know the shopkeeper and she would come down some. Maybe I should have bought it! I might the next time I am up there. It would remind me to stay with my Boglehead ways. :)

Last edited:
I thought you were an economist. You sure don't act like one. Or maybe you're a faith-based economist.

Looks like we have a real P***** S******** on our hands. Do me a favor: stay away from my cat and dogs.

Looks like we have a real P***** S******** on our hands. Do me a favor: stay away from my cat and dogs.
So where did you get your economic education?

Sorry to scare you. From now on I will only bring up the good points about the economy.

Merck & Co., continuing a turnaround, said Monday its third-quarter profit soared 62% on higher sales of vaccines and drugs for asthma and diabetes, and a lower reserve for product-liability litigation.

Razor, bears need thick skin around here. You have to realize that "the market always goes up" is not just the religion here, but it's how ER's pay the bills, and it's how wanna-be-ER's make it to ER-dom.

We've had a great bull run, with returns far in excess of economic growth. While it's true that the market usually takes back excess returns, people want to believe that they get to keep them. :)

Incidentally, if you ever find yourself in the southern half of NJ, go check out Wheaton Village. It includes the museum of american glass which contains the largest collection of crystal balls (which they refer to as "paperweights" go figure) I have ever seen.

Merck & Co., continuing a turnaround, said Monday its third-quarter profit soared 62% on higher sales of vaccines and drugs for asthma and diabetes, and a lower reserve for product-liability litigation.

You forgot to include a quote for b33ver cheez3 futures.

Razor, bears need thick skin around here. You have to realize that "the market always goes up" is not just the religion here, but it's how ER's pay the bills, and it's how wanna-be-ER's make it to ER-dom.

We've had a great bull run, with returns far in excess of economic growth. While it's true that the market usually takes back excess returns, people want to believe that they get to keep them. :)
I am not a bear or a bull. Just a realist that tries to look at all the factors that could affect my future and I don't like to bury my head in the sand.

I am not a bear or a bull. Just a realist that tries to look at all the factors that could affect my future and I don't like to bury my head in the sand.

Fair enough. But I think the reason bears/ doomsayers/[MODERATOR EDIT] get dumped on here is that the exact right thing to do has been to keep your head buried in the sand for a number of decades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an opinion on the subject or not. It kind of funny how irate some people get when others point out the problems this country is facing. It's almost like they would rather be kept in the dark and let their faith carry them through. I never said we wouldn't survive, but I do expect some tough times ahead and I am ready for it.

You're not the manager of the "Prudent Bear" are you?? :D

Fair enough. But I think the reason bears/ doomsayers/piglet sodomizers get dumped on here is that the exact right thing to do has been to keep your head buried in the sand for a number of decades.

I hope you aren't a financial planner, too.

I was just wondering what a 34 year old is doing on a forum like this anyway. No offence, just wondering.

Fair enough. But I think the reason bears/ doomsayers/piglet sodomizers get dumped on here is that the exact right thing to do has been to keep your head buried in the sand for a number of decades.

Or, to paraphrase, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent...

<Insert unclemick/Bear Bryant quote here>

Or, to paraphrase, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent...

"In the short run, the market is a voting machine, but in the long run it is a weighing machine."

We're still in the voting machine stage. Let's hope the weighing machine phase never happens. :)

I was just wondering what a 34 year old is doing on a forum like this anyway. No offence, just wondering.

Just passing the time and deluding hapless fools into believing that public equities probably have a positive expected return.

So what is the AGE requirement for this forum?? :rolleyes:

I think any age should be able to read but posting should be limited to those between the ages of 40-60. Or we could go with some arbitrary maturity or intelligence level.;)

Just passing the time and deluding hapless fools into believing that public equities probably have a positive expected return.

Darn you fooled me! stupid stupid stupid... I am selling everything and running for the hills...

Heh, what's up with the age discrimimation comment! Is 34 too young to start planning for ER?

If there were no bears, who would sell their shares to me?;) I live in the S.F. Bay Area, I never wanted to own a house, for 35 years I've been saying (more and more quietly!): the Housing market does not always go up, look at Chicago in the '70s....:cool:

Ekk, if you think 34 is young and shouldn't be here.. ...
*Hides for a few more decades* :rolleyes:

Heh, what's up with the age discrimimation comment! Is 34 too young to start planning for ER?

LOL!!! And I thought that at 59, I was almost too old for this board. If I had started at 34, compound interest would have done all my work and I would not have had to LBYM quite so hard these past few years.

Just curious to why a 34 year old would be interested in this forum. That's all. Don't make it more than it is. If he is in a position to retire soon, he sure doesn't need any advice from here . If not he should invest in tech stocks and bury his head in the sand for 20 years.
From his first response I read, I thought he was a crusty old man in his 70s. I was surprised to see his age.

Back
Top Bottom