Join Early Retirement Today

Recovery times after the Great Depression
Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Recovery times after the Great Depression

Interesting article on this topic.

A 60:40 investor needed 10 years to reach the previous starting line. A full stock investor had only recovered 60% by then.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rich, is that an investor that's retired? I'm not sure I'll ever recover while living off of my port. at this point.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Rich, is that an investor that's retired? I'm not sure I'll ever recover while living off of my port. at this point.
Retired or not, that was the recovery time of a given investment, no additional contributions.

The article points out that we are not in a depression, so that scenario may not be applicable other than as a worst case scenario.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

So I would guess withdrawls wouldn't help. (heh)
Old 10-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #5

It took 25 years to hit the 1929 peak again for a stock investor.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
It took 25 years to hit the 1929 peak again for a stock investor.
Not if dividends were reinvested - that cut it to 15 years I think. See this thread: Stock returns during great depression ??

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #7

That's always good to hear. So if I don't take any money out I might be back to where I was last year before I hit my expiration date. Hmmmm!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not if dividends were reinvested - that cut it to 15 years I think. See this thread: Stock returns during great depression ??
Anyone know of information on how well dividends held up (were paid) during the Great depression? Any info on how many companies failed?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Interesting article on this topic.

A 60:40 investor needed 10 years to reach the previous starting line. A full stock investor had only recovered 60% by then.
The article does not specify whether rebalancing was done, but I gather that it was not (so the numbers are based on an initial allocation and letting it ride for the duration). Rebalancing would make a significant difference in the recovery period for a 60/40 investor.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Right - 13.5 years per the article cited in my OP.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
That's always good to hear. So if I don't take any money out I might be back to where I was last year before I hit my expiration date. Hmmmm!
If you were 100% in stocks that could have happened.

But you're probably not, and this is not the great depression. Live your life.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Anyone know of information on how well dividends held up (were paid) during the Great depression? Any info on how many companies failed?
gdp was down by 20% so my guess is half the banks and more than half the companies failed.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #13

And inflation was running -25% with unemployment at a 25%. See this table in the article at the Schwab website entitled 10/8: Depression Fears Overblown.

At this link Depression Fears Overblown

Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My grandfather worked in a bank that didn't fail but apparently all his savings were in that bank's stock. He and Grandma planned a trip to Europe for Nov. of '29. The story always ended with, "they never went."
Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
If you were 100% in stocks that could have happened.

But you're probably not, and this is not the great depression. Live your life.
You saved me a post, Rich.

Whoops...

My earlier post regarding mutual funds from the 1920's, most of which were 'balanced', shows that depression era investors lost a lot less with a good asset allocation, and didnt take long to recover.

Anyone primarily US equities took a beating then and they're taking a beating now. Learn the lesson.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #16

One thing to keep in mind is that someone looking back on the market fifty years from now is going to see the start of this as the 2000 tech bubble.

So we're really already 8 years into this downturn. So just 7 more to go

Quote:
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The people 50 years from now will look on this as a nearly insignificant blip on the radar, like we see the depression and the 87 crash today when viewed on a long term chart...

Now the good question is to look at this chart and see two long term trend lines...one up until the early 80's when the 'financial leverage funny business' started and another steeper one from then until the first tech bubble.

If the first trend line is true, then we're still a little overpriced. If the second one is true, then we're a little underpriced.

Dont make me post more pictures of Captain Quint by making irrelevant comments about log charts or inflation adjustments...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dow.JPG (95.8 KB, 34 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
And inflation was running -25% with unemployment at a 25%. See this table in the article at the Schwab website entitled 10/8: Depression Fears Overblown.

At this link Depression Fears Overblown

Now I'm not a doomsday pessimist, but for the sake of intellectual honesty I've got to point out that comparisons between the GD and now really will have to wait a year or two at least. A more accurate comp would be between 1929 pre-crash and the latest figures we have for present time.

I appreciate their attempt to try to calm fears and cool down the panic but you really have to compare comparable data to comparable time periods.

See my point? Or point out to me what I've got wrong.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Seriously. During the great depression the US was barely on the far side of an emerging market. Most people, if they had jobs, lived a hardscrabble life. At least 10 countries could have kicked our asses on a moments notice. Scraping the top 2-3% of peoples lives away, if you had a watertight roof and some non rotten food in your belly since yesterday you were living a pretty good life.

Is that what we've had for the last year or two? Is that what anyone thinks we're facing?

Have I successfully compared comparables to comparables?

Do I have to get to the "slap/slap...snap OUT of it man!!" level?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Seriously. During the great depression the US was barely on the far side of an emerging market. Most people, if they had jobs, lived a hardscrabble life. At least 10 countries could have kicked our asses on a moments notice. Scraping the top 2-3% of peoples lives away, if you had a watertight roof and some non rotten food in your belly since yesterday you were living a pretty good life.

Is that what we've had for the last year or two? Is that what anyone thinks we're facing?

Have I successfully compared comparables to comparables?

Do I have to get to the "slap/slap...snap OUT of it man!!" level?
I probably didn't convey what I wanted to say very well. I completely understand what you're saying and I basically agree. I just don't like to see such errors in logic and poor data comparisons. It weakens the argument and makes it look like they're reaching. I later went and read the article and they've got some good points but it is still guess work. And most people are rather jaded after the constant assurances we've gotten from talking heads and the Bush Admin that all is fine. Their credibility is shot and that makes it hard for the general public to believe anything now.

Hey, I wish like heck that I had more cash on hand because we're clearly in a panicked market that just has to be overshooting on the downside as Average Joe/Jane clicks on "sell" across this country. They just can't stand it anymore. We've been speculating on capitulation points here for a while but this frenzy sure looks like it may here finally - maybe tomorrow.

BTW Remember that stock I mentioned a while back in a thread - LG, Laclede Gas? It cratered 15% today. It's down 22% since Monday! Still holding up nicely YTD, but holy cr@p.