Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
DSL - go to lowest MBS - apx $20/mo
Cancel phone service - only use cell phones
Cell Phone - ask for discount from provider
Credit card - get cash back
Cable Co - cancel - use HDTV antenna
Car Oil Change - do it yourself
Ceramic heater in rooms begin occupied instead of heating the whole house.
Use small oven with convention instead of large oven. $35
Health Ins. raise deductible
Food Shopping - Walmart with coupons
I did all that years ago. What do I do now. :confused:
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post

Find a way to earn more money? I do most of the things people list here too. Not much else to do but earn more green.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
50 pound bag of rice, rat traps, and a bottle of cod liver oil.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Find a way to earn more money? I do most of the things people list here too. Not much else to do but earn more green.

Oh, I got plenty of money. I just feel as though I should be cutting back with all the losses in the market. I'm a life long LBYM'er.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
50 pound bag of rice, rat traps, and a bottle of cod liver oil.

Yuck!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #26

Did anyone reduce their spending on "undervalued' stocks/equities?

If so, wasn't that part of the 'plan'
Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Hmmm - not sure what you are saying here - but one of my hobbies(long story) is funding four kids 529's at a low level with hopes of an 'educational' benefit on their parents of DCA 'enlightenment.'

The thought of increasing not reducing crossed my mind - sensing bargins are at hand so to speak.

heh heh heh - In the end will probably stay the course and DCA on.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #28

Exactly what I was hoping to hear, ala Buffett and others. I was too chicken to buy much (down 7 digits in stocks, wouldn't buy 6 digits). So, did you do it?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm already fairly tight, and don't want to feel like I'm living off of the 50 lb. bag of rice, with 'toppings'

I have been more thoughtful about the 'food eaten out' category - less on the 'grab a muffin' which will let me keep the sushi coming...

ta,
mews

still w*orking, but I have ambition ...
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I hope I understand this right but...
One of the main reasons to reduce our expenses was to have more money to invest in a declining market, so in fact the only "expense" to increase dramatically this year was "investments". We spent about $9000 less this year than last year and, combined with a decent bump in income at the beginning of the year, it has allowed us to invest close to $15,000 more this year than last year. Most of that money went to buy equities (except during the 1-month bear rally in May when we bought more bonds). Hopefully it will prove to have been a worthwhile move!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
I'm already fairly tight, and don't want to feel like I'm living off of the 50 lb. bag of rice, with 'toppings'
ah, brings back memories of "college food" - a big bag of rice and 3 for $1 store brand soups for the toppings. or 4 for $1 Kraft Mac & Cheese. all cooked on the "illegal" hot plate we weren't supposed to have in the dorm so we didn't have to pay a la carte at the dining hall when we ran out of meal tickets. who remembers meal ticket books for the on-campus dining halls?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I hope I understand this right but...
One of the main reasons to reduce our expenses was to have more money to invest in a declining market, so in fact the only "expense" to increase dramatically this year was "investments". We spent about $9000 less this year than last year and, combined with a decent bump in income at the beginning of the year, it has allowed us to invest close to $15,000 more this year than last year. Most of that money went to buy equities (except during the 1-month bear rally in May when we bought more bonds). Hopefully it will prove to have been a worthwhile move!
It may well be th
at the first change will be to remove the dreaded 'dreamer' from your name. GL

OOPPS, addressed at Firedreamer, someone beat me to next post.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Kicked out problematic girlfriend Aug. 2007 -- electric bill is less than 1/2 in year following, largely as a result of my tolerating it hotter in summer (this is Florida). Got rid of Satellite TV -- saves about $75/mo. I watch little TV. Finally broke down and bought a roof top antenna (about $250 installed). Not using much, but several HD channels available in my "fringe" area. Canceled dial-up internet and landline phone. Just use cell (prepaid, currently). Internet: use a neighbour's wireless connection. Cost $0. Newspapers are free at the university.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #34

1. Have been driving less. This started this summer with $4.35/gal gas. I try to have 2 - 3 no-drive days per week. Saves $50/mo in gas plus wear and tear on the vehicle.
2. I dedicate 3 days a week as no-spend days. I don't let silver cross my palm on those days unless it's an emergency. Probably minimal financial impact but big psychological impact -- I'm more aware of spending now.
3. Grocery shopping 1x/week instead of 2-3x per week. Saves time as well as money (about $150/month).
4. I'm experimenting with cash-only until the end of the year. Last month was the first month I experimented with this; I think it saved me $150/month.
5. Haven't turned the heat on yet, but usually don't until December. I'm going to try to push it until the first week in December this year, and will try to use less than we did last year (we have electric wall heat in each room, independently controlled). My goal is to save us $30/month over last year's charges.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Bought one motorcycle instead of two.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Bought one motorcycle instead of two.
but did that one motorcycle cost twice as much?
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
but did that one motorcycle cost twice as much?
No. I found riding one-up works just fine....
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Not me. Doing my patriotic duty, spending like crazy. Go economy!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
3. Grocery shopping 1x/week instead of 2-3x per week. Saves time as well as money (about $150/month).
4. I'm experimenting with cash-only until the end of the year. Last month was the first month I experimented with this; I think it saved me $150/month.
Hum, I had been thinking about doing that myself. Currently I go to the grocery store 5-6 times a week (I like everything as fresh as possible) and it always seems like I am dropping quite a bit of money each time because I base my menus on what I have a craving for on that day instead on planning my meals well in advance and shopping with a list. Plus I am burning quite a bit of gas going back and forth to the grocery store. At any rates, we are currently spending more than $7000 a year on groceries for 2 people. It starts to sound exorbitant to me, so I am looking at ways to reduce that.
I was also thinking about going cash-only for groceries as at least it would help me be more conscious of what I spend my money on. Right now I put everything on my credit card (I use the miles for my trips to Europe), so I just zip the card through and sometimes I don't even pay attention to the total.
Lately I have experimented with Thai cuisine and I noticed that when I shop at my local Asian market, I can feed both of us on a lot less money, so that could be a good way to lower food costs in the future.
I have also reduced our consumption of meat (we ate too much of it anyways), so what we used to eat in one serving, we now eat in 2 or even 3 servings.

I think I will make reducing our grocery costs one of my goals for 2009.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Hmmm - gonna try and force myself to spend an extra 10k next year on travel and entertainment. Just ran ORP and I'm not getting any younger.

That's a huge switch from my early 90's ER practices - some of which relatives and my late SO considered a tad extreme.

heh heh heh - Just the memory of what a cheap bastard I used to be brings a tear to my eye. .

P.S. The ORP calculator has been 'adjusted' 7% real return vs 10 of old and changed when I can croak plus my now from several yrs ago portfolio is down about 25% - and still the clock ticks on - I need to force, I say force myself to spend cause I can't take it with me.
Never too late to bring back the cheap old bastard lifestyle. BTW, just noticed that Alabama is now ranked #1 in the country in college football. You think old Bear is looking down with smile on his face?