Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #61
Oh dear lord, the Boones Farm Strawberry. I threw up 7 times the first time I drank that--I was maybe 11 yrs old, and it cured me of drinking for at least 3 years, I swear! I don't think I could stand the smell even now! Ugh!

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
i was an "apple" girl myself. but my best friend loved the strawberry, and she drove Ralph the Buick many times.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
No Boone's Farm fans? strawberry hill, apple, and one other flavor....that evades my memory right now.
You are bringing back memories (if you remember the '60s you weren't there).

Bali Hai anyone?
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #64
I remember Boones Farm making the girls a little drunker and maybe a little 'easier'. A guy brought a bottle to our class reunion a couple of months ago and I dont think it worked this time.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado
No Boone's Farm fans?
I still recall January 1976 my now wife and me taking a break while cleaning/moving into our existing rental house and enjoying a bottle of Boone's and a balogna sandwich.

I was recovering from a major loss in the Commodity Market (Maine Potato's)

Whatever her reason, she did not marry me for my money
Fastfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boone's Tickled Pink - what flavor was that?

tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...
I think many of you guys are having a ball with this new excuse to clamp down on your formerly out of control hedonism.

Party on!

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...
Now I remember why I don't like apple juice!
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
sounds like a shopping list for a country wedding reception.
why rent a limo when you can go in style in a shiny green and yellow Deere?
hmmm.. we oughta send that to Jeff, my good ol' birthday pal.
Well, it's my reality....last week I looked at the checkout counter and there sat a 5 gal. bucket of 15W40 oil for my pickup & tractor, a container of gear oil for my tractor, shotgun shells...turkey season!, and a black lace bra....what would my former neighbors in San Francisco think?
And dammit there was nary any goat cheese or pate'.

p.s. re: the John Deere...I'm strictly a Kubota gal!
slimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone know a gal named Annie Greensprings?
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Tracked ATM withdrawals more thoroughly: so far saved $600 this year.
I assume above is reduced discretionary spending - not fees.

Stuff I've done:
  • I organized a 5 student carpool for my son - saving a ton of time and gas
  • Started buying fruits/veggies at farmers market
  • Cut my meat eating in 1/2 (save $$ and healthier too)
  • Washed some work slacks instead of dry cleaning (but this didn't work - they are wrinkled and I look like a bum....)
  • Buying more used "stuff" on eBay and Craigslist.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
I assume above is reduced discretionary spending - not fees.
Yes it's reduced discretionary. We use checks or credit cards to pay for almost everything (it makes it easier to track our expenses) and ATM withdrawals are frittered away on "miscellaneous". We can't even remember what we spent that money on, so that's why I started targeting those ATM withdrawals.
42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #73
Changed my $90/month digital cable + HBO package down to the basic $8.99/month cable. I found that I was watching Discovery, HBO, some PBS, and the Military channel only. For those four channels, I don't need to spend $90. I can catch all of the shows from those 4 channels on the Internet.

Other than that, I'm still eating lunch at the company cafeteria, but I'm cutting down my regular $8.00 to $9.00 menu down to $6.00 to $6.50 menu. Packing a lunch is bit more work than I want to do, and I'd like to have one meal during the day that I don't feel like I'm just "snarfing down essential nutrients."
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #74
Originally Posted by slimm View Post
16. stay out of Cabellas!!!

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets
Our grocery spending was getting out of hand a few months ago, so I have cut back quite a bit on that -- now coming in well under $300/month average for two adults and two kids. Savings coming mostly from much lower consumption of snacks and meat. Have been spending a little less on average on meals out, as well -- been trying to improve my range of home-cooked meals, so we aren't eating out as much on the weekends as we were a few months ago.

Booked plane tickets home for me and the kids for our annual family visit using FF miles. It took a lot (120,000/person -- ouch!), but we had them available and I am worried that it would becoming increasingly difficult to use the miles as the airlines get into even worse financial straights. Saved us over $4000 on the trip over what it would have cost us to pay for the same flights (actually I would have flown a different, lower-cost airline, which is probably what we will do next year -- bye, bye NWA...).

Trying to stick to using public transit as much as possible, and using it more for getting around town with the kids. A simple family outing on the weekend can run us $10-$15 in taxi charges, whereas if we take the bus/subway it is much less (under $1 for the whole family on the bus, a bit more for subway). Also using my bike more for local errands.

Our central heat will not come on until November 15th, but so far we have avoided using the heat function of our AC units. Those are a real energy suck, and electricity here is quite expensive (we were spending close to $100/month for AC during the worst part of the summer). Nighttime temps are down in the 2-3 C range, so it is not warm here these days! But we're all putting on multiple layers, I've added some extra blankets to the beds, and DS is using a hot water bottle when he sleeps.

We're actually increasing our investments. DH has bumped his retirement contributions up to the max, and I am in the process of adding money to the kids college funds. They are young (7 and 3), so we have a long horizon on those funds. The share prices in their 529s are really low, so I figure now is a good time to plow in some money.

lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...
All this wine talk makes me dizzy. I used to drink Plum Hollow in the 70's (I believe that's what it was called) and I have forgotten who made it.
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets
if anyone lives near a Whole Foods, they are currently having a Fall Madness sale, and have, among other things, prepared trays of dinners in the deli section for $6 (regularly $12). I'm due with ds2 in about 1.5 weeks and haven't had a chance to freeze alot of meals, so felicitous that the sale runs until when my parents are due to arrive to help out. So my plan is just a weekly run to stock up on meals.
Tonight we had the eggplant parmesan, and dh, ds (3yo), and I ate 60% of the trayful, which comes out to about $1.30/person per dinner. Not bad.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I'm thinking of either dropping cable (and getting an antenna and watching it on PC) or dropping DSL and switching to cable (internet and basic cable).

Any opinions as to which?
We've been evaluating dropping cable. We have extended basic with Comcast and it costs almost $60/mo with tax. Here in the Chicago suburbs, we have 13 easy to receive tv stations on analog and some are also airing unique programming on digital as well. Two are PBS stations. So, it's not like there won't be any tv to watch if I throw in the towel on the almost $60 cable bill.

The main problem is that there are a few shows we enjoy that are only available on cable. For me, it's sports, mainly some Bears and some Cubs games are available only on cable. For DW, it's movie classics and quilting/sewing shows. We're trying to come to grips with not having access to those.

We use ATT for DSL and landline telephone at a combined cost of under $30/mo including tax. That seems like a bargain. Telephone and internet for half of what I pay for cable. No wonder it bugs me to pay the cable bill every month!
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.
I wonder how big the lake is now after 3 years ...
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets
Let's see....what have I done to reduce spending....
1.dropped all newspaper and magazine subscriptions
2.protested property taxes, saved $1,400 the first year
3.brown bag lunches
4.cut my own hair
5.did a complete brake job on my truck this weekend, probably saved at least $300
6.dropped all lawn services, do the work myself, saves money and I can always use the exercise
7.minimize driving, try only make trips to complete multiple tasks
8.dropped premium cable channels
9.dropped $40 monthly Verizon cell phone, replaced with much cheaper cost Tracfone, saves about $30 per month
10.switched from State Farm home and auto to similar insurance thru independent agent, saved about $300 per year
11.use to buy a new vehicle every 3 years, keep each of 2 vehicles until they were 6 years old. Now I will buy a new vehicle when they need replaced. Vehicles are now 6 and 8 years old and will both likely go another 6 years
12.Buy clothes at Kohl's when they have the 30% off sales
13.Had to replace the water softener, bought a no name brand instead of Culligan, saved about $800 and it works great.
14.I change oil and filters, plus do routine auto maintenance myself. I use synthetic oil and premium filters, change oil at about 8,000 miles. Actual cost is cheaper than changing Dino oil at 3,000 miles, plus I don't have to do it as often.
15.I use a credit card that earns airline mileage. Had free round trip tickets for a Florida vacation this past April. I have never paid interest to a credit card, I always pay the balance in full.

My motto is a dollar saved is better than a dollar earned. I don't pay tax on the dollar I saved.

Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote