Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So with all the money you've all saved you deserve a visit here:

This Is Why I'm Broke
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

This Is Why I'm Broke

what a great site. I love the nose shower gel dispenser except I am too cheap to buy shower gel. Bar soap with a coupon is much cheaper.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaldreamer View Post
These are some of the things that we've done to reduce spending in the past year. The bulk of the cost savings come from moving in with the BF and combining expenses. I didn't realize how much this saves us every year, but it really adds up.

Housing and utilities: Now that we aren't maintaining two places, we are saving $1200/month in rent. We merged our two family cell phone plans into a single plan, saving another $75/month, and downgraded our landline plan to save another $15/month. We also bought a space heater and have stopped using the central heat during the winter months.

Car costs: We combined our car insurance policies, saving $800/year. I take the bus to work rather than driving, which saves about $150/month in gas. Nowadays, we drive my old but low-mileage compact car on weekends rather than my BF’s more luxurious but far less reliable 10 year old BMW. This saves us about $250/year in gas costs, and hopefully it will allow us to keep his car longer and cut down on the exorbitant maintenance/repair costs.

Food costs: We have started cooking more on weekends rather than eating out, which saves about $200/month. I save another $100/month by packing lunches for work.

Household goods: We got a Costco membership last year, and have been stocking up in bulk. I also have been trying to get better about clipping and using coupons. This saves us about $25/month.

Impulse spending: Now that I’m working full-time, I have much less time for on-line shopping and impulse buying. This means I probably spend about $50 less per month buying clothes and other things that I really don’t need.
An argument that 2 can live as cheap as 1 (or close to it).
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I'm still doing my own lawn mowing versus hiring it out. I invested in a lightweight weedwhacker ($99) and a self-propelled lawnmower ($340) to make the j*b easier for Mr B and I. I sold the old push lawnmower and too heavy weedwhacker to friends for a total of $85.
He is ready to start helping out with the lawn chores. He is now fully recovered and no longer under a "no-strain order" after the mild heart attack and stent insertion procedure he underwent almost 2 months ago.
I don't mind the self-propel push lawn mowing (good walking exercise) and probably will just have him do the weedwhacking. He is not very good almost runs into things at driving the riding tractor mower, so I'll keep doing that.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

One of our children is now wearing glasses like mom and dad. We are saving an enormous amount of money on eyeglasses and prescription sunglasses by ordering them online. A great site with a list of places to order from with coupon codes etc. is GlassyEyes | Find Your Next Affordable Eyeglasses Online. We usually order from goggles4u. I get compliments on my glasses all the time and they cost $15 total including shipping. Definitely sign up to receive e-mails from the site -- they have frequent sales.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

• Sold our boat, massive savings, but that's a no-brainer to an LBYMer.
More down to earth:
  • Reduced our Dish Network HD package from gold to basic, went from about $80/mo to about $50/mo and the missing channels are hardly noticeable (I watch less and less TV as the years pass anyway).
  • Converted from a $99/mo BlackBerry SmartPhone that I really didn't need (work subsidized) to a no-contract/pay-as-you-go Net10 phone which should give me all the voice/text/data I need for $15-30/mo.
  • We've also been decluttering over the years, throwing some stuff out and selling other items on eBay, making about $2,500!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Seems ironic, but by joining Amazon Prime shipping for $79/year I think I'm actually saving money. For example, just noticed my cell phone battery can't hold a charge more than 1 day. Usually I would go to a local Radio Shack and pick up a replacement battery ($16). But I see one at Amazon (prime) for only $5. Gonna save the difference by ordering online.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Seems ironic, but by joining Amazon Prime shipping for $79/year I think I'm actually saving money.
+1

We joined Amazon Prime and share with our adult kids. When they want to buy something they purchase an Amazon gift card for us in the correct amount and we order the item for them to be shipped to their address. We definitely get more than our $79 worth out of the Prime membership.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

We joined Amazon Prime and share with our adult kids. When they want to buy something they purchase an Amazon gift card for us in the correct amount and we order the item for them to be shipped to their address. We definitely get more than our $79 worth out of the Prime membership.

I just helped a friend out by ordering a dresser (took about 4 days to arrive, not 2) and also a cat tree house. Worked out great.

I guess as long as I buy stuff that I would have purchased anyhow, then there's where the savings is.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just helped a friend out by ordering a dresser (took about 4 days to arrive, not 2) and also a cat tree house. Worked out great.

I guess as long as I buy stuff that I would have purchased anyhow, then there's where the savings is.
I'm sure it must vary from item to item, but I ordered my desk without using Prime and it is scheduled to be delivered only 3 business days later. I ordered it on Friday night, and it is to be delivered tomorrow.

The fast delivery is mildly distressing because I had other plans tomorrow morning, and never thought it would get here so soon! Oh well, here's hoping that Fedex delivers it in the afternoon or evening after I get home.

I might buy Prime. I do hate to wait for things, and some seem to take longer than others.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised when the dresser took longer than 2 days. After reading closer, the 2 days is after the product is securely packed. The dresser did come well protected so I assume the extra couple of days was Amazon doing the protecting.

I'm actually about the order a cell phone battery, but I won't be back home until Thursday night, so I might wait until tomorrow to order and then have it delivered on Friday when I know I'll be home.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was surprised when the dresser took longer than 2 days. After reading closer, the 2 days is after the product is securely packed. The dresser did come well protected so I assume the extra couple of days was Amazon doing the protecting.
That's probably it. My desk was made in China (I know, I know, but I bought it anyway...) so they probably had it packed over there.

Quote:
I'm actually about the order a cell phone battery, but I won't be back home until Thursday night, so I might wait until tomorrow to order and then have it delivered on Friday when I know I'll be home.
Sounds like a good plan. At least with Prime, you know it will be reasonably fast.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I tried Amazon Prime and liked it but I'm too cheap to splurge on it.

So I just put things into my cart until they hit the $25 free shipping. It means deferred gratification. Will just have to tough that out. It does make me favor Amazon over some of the competitors they help market who have to charge shipping.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #114
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
so i just put things into my cart until they hit the $25 free shipping. It means deferred gratification. Will just have to tough that out. It does make me favor amazon over some of the competitors they help market who have to charge shipping.
+1

dd
Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I tried Amazon Prime and liked it but I'm too cheap to splurge on it.

So I just put things into my cart until they hit the $25 free shipping. It means deferred gratification. Will just have to tough that out. It does make me favor Amazon over some of the competitors they help market who have to charge shipping.
I tried it too, when I got my Kindle 3, because I was dying to get it. I really liked having the free trial of Amazon Prime. Like you, I use the $25 free shipping now. Most things are at least that much. Really, it makes no difference in the long run for me to wait, because I will always want it just as much when it finally arrives. But I sure hate waiting. Seems like it's time for some of that gratification that was being delayed.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently discovered Amazon's trade in program. I tell them what I have, they offer a credit and to pay for shipping via UPS. Then I just box it up and drop it off at my local UPS store. A week later, free money!

So far I've gained about $100. It also makes going through old books I never read easier. I can get money from the valuable books and justify giving away the worthless ones.

Their subscribe and save program is also awesome. Right now I'm getting my tea, mixed nuts, and TVP for much less than I'd pay in the store.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

This Is Why I'm Broke
Bacon bandaids....come back Bunny!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
+2
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
+1

+2

We pay for hardly anything (no tv subscription, no Internet subscription, cheap cell phone bills, etc), but Amazon prime is one thing we do pay for (well actually it's free right now as a student account, but we paid for it for about 3 years and in a month or two when my 1 year student subscription is up, I'll be paying for it again). Saves us so much money over buying stuff in stores (Target, etc). In fact I'd estimate over 90% of our "shopping" expenses in our budget goes there (the other 10% is clothes we buy in person)
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

1.We drive as little as possible and downgraded my car to occasional use with State Farm. When someone goes on the road (even as little as 45 miles away) we use the hybrid.
2. I've been using the library as opposed to buying books.
3. We use netflix and avoid the cinema (except for rarely something like "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" this month.
4. We almost never eat out unless we are on a trip--although that is not new. For 15 years I've said, "Why go out and pay 5+x as much when I can make better and healthier food at home?" My Wolf range has paid for itself several times! Plus it's my hobby.
Still looking for more ways, but we're pretty frugal. Wish I could get DH to do #2.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote