Reduced spending lately, how?

How can I 'save' by spending $ for something that's free?
Volume. :)

I don't claim to save a penny with Amazon Prime, I simply think I get more than my money's worth via the convenience and speed of shipment provided DW and I plus our extended family.

Last edited:
I kinda agree with the whole deferred gratification thing on Amazon Prime. I just would rather wait than pay the annual fee. I do buy a good bit from Amazon, but like others, just keep stuff in my cart until I get to the $25 level.

And I love my Killawatt! Lots of things in my house that have a phantom load in my house is now on a power strip that I can turn off when not needed.

Some things are not eligible for free standard shipping. Prime for me is about free shipping, not getting it fast.

Some things are not eligible for free standard shipping. Prime for me is about free shipping, not getting it fast.
Now this is something I haven't considered. Many Amazon items are from 3rd parties and the shipping costs make Amazon (+ free shippping) the preferred choice. So is Prime available for all purchases on Amazon regardless of source?

Now this is something I haven't considered. Many Amazon items are from 3rd parties and the shipping costs make Amazon (+ free shippping) the preferred choice. So is Prime available for all purchases on Amazon regardless of source?

Bimmerbill, are you sure about that? I just tried to buy something that had a shipping charge, and I was never prompted that I could get it shipped faster for 'free' by joining Amazon Prime. I seem to recall seeing that notice whenever it applies (edit - yep, I just put an under $25 'free standard shipping on orders >$25' item in my cart, and was prompted that I could get 'free' shipping by joining Prime). I'm pretty sure Prime only applies to the stuff that would qualify for standard free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...eland_allup_elig?nodeId=200444160#eligibility

Ineligible

Items fulfilled by merchants such as Target and Amazon Marketplace sellers.

Any item that doesn't have a message indicating that it's eligible for Prime on its product page.

That's not 100% clear on the relationship between "Prime" and "Free Standard Shipping", but clearly not everything I want to buy qualifies for Prime. And amazon seems to be going more and more to these 3rd party merchants.

-ERD50

And amazon seems to be going more and more to these 3rd party merchants.

-ERD50
I don't think that's entirely accurate:

Amazon.com has terminated its relationship with approximately 10,000 Internet business partners in California after Gov. Jerry Brown signed a law that requires out-of-state electronic retailers to collect sales tax on purchases from Golden State customers.
Amazon won't collect sales tax; cuts off California affiliates - latimes.com

Probably that tax issue will wind up being resolved at the Federal level and/or by the Supreme Court. Will be interesting to watch, especially for us Californians.

Probably that tax issue will wind up being resolved at the Federal level and/or by the Supreme Court. Will be interesting to watch, especially for us Californians.
I think ultimately it has to. I think a person in State A doing business with a retailer in State B would clearly fall under the auspices of "interstate commerce", and thus any laws regarding the required collection of state sales taxes (or lack thereof) would seem like the role of Congress here since the Constitution very clearly indicates that regulation of interstate commerce is a function of Congress.

I don't mean to pick on you, Sue J, just wanted to use your statement as illustration regarding electric consumption and a way I save money.

Electricity is cheap, but when you have phantom loads (such as a computer left on year round), it adds up quickly. A rule of thumb I use is that every 1 watt of phantom load equals about a dollar a year in increased electricity costs (assuming $0.11 per kWh, which is average).

Take Sue J's computer. If it uses around 70-80 watts (like my old computer without much load on the cpu and not including the monitor or speakers), then it costs around $70-80 a year to power that computer (ignoring increased cooling expenses to remove the heat the computer generates). Still cheaper than $24/mo for vonage, but not free.

I did a quick inventory in my house to see what uses power when on and when in standby. I figured out that some devices pull a bunch of power when in standby, so I turn them off. The vast majority of devices use about a watt when in standby, so I don't worry about unplugging them or turning off a power strip as some recommend.

To complete an energy inventory for yourself, you can use a Kill A Watt meter, such as this:
Kill A Watt at amazon for about $20:
Amazon.com: P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor: Home Improvement

Knowing how much energy something costs lets you figure out if it is worth it on an ongoing basis. Sure, something may only cost a tiny bit to buy, but if the energy costs over its operational life far exceed the purchase price, you may want to pay up for something more energy efficient or avoid its use altogether.

No offense taken Fuego, we're thinking along the same lines.

A few weeks ago we got a Kill A Watt, (one day special at NewEgg.com for $16.95 and free shipping). I used it on a few things but not on that computer that's on for the MagicJack. So I just did that now. You're spot on about how much electricity it uses, just about 75 watts for the CPU with the monitor always turned off.

Our rate is .0774/KWH plus a Power Cost Factor of .0177122/KWH for a total of rate of .0951122/KWH.

Tell me if I'm figuring this correctly....

75 Watts x24hrs x 30 days = 54000 Watts = 54KWH

54KWH x .0951122 = $5.13/ month

Roughly $62/year for the electricity.

Very interesting. Seems like a good choice to have the MagicJack but it's good to consider the additional electricity involved.

Now, if I could just get DH to turn off the lights when he leaves the room....

Forgot two other significant $$ savers from the last 10 months: spouse wanted me to grow my hair long anyway, and with that and doing all the hair coloring myself, save close to 1K a year.
Also: I'm wearing Walmart underwear and slacks right now. Haven't bought any full price clothing in a year. Marshalls, Ross, etc. Now frequenting only discount stores. Food at Walmart or Kriger (gas discount), not Publix.

I save money by not wearing Walmart underwear.

sorry - it had to be said.

I think ultimately it has to. I think a person in State A doing business with a retailer in State B would clearly fall under the auspices of "interstate commerce", and thus any laws regarding the required collection of state sales taxes (or lack thereof) would seem like the role of Congress here since the Constitution very clearly indicates that regulation of interstate commerce is a function of Congress.

Well, considering that total lack of any activity has been ruled to effect interstate commerce (http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/11a0168p-06.pdf), I'd say you are pretty safe in this assumption.

Having snarked that, I'd like to know more about Amazon Prime. I order a lot of stuff from Amazon (side business), and much of it comes from third parties. I was assuming that I would have to pay shipping from them even with Prime. Am I wrong? Are there a number of third party vendors where I would have to pay shipping under normal circumstances, but not under Prime? These are situations where the $25 limit for free shipping doesn't come into play. Anybody have any more info?

I do the same : cook more at home, eat out less. Not sure if I make any savings this way though...
Food costs: We have started cooking more on weekends rather than eating out, which saves about $200/month. I save another $100/month by packing lunches for work.

Not all products are eligible for Amazon prime. I just check the box "show prime eligible products only."

I do see a lot of overlap tho. A lot of the stuff I see is also available with free standard shipping.

I just bought a 110lb geo dome for the kid, it was prime eligible. I don't know what the shipping would have been, but guess it would have been $30 to $40 easy.

I guess Amazon is more of a time saver for me, but time is money.

No offense taken Fuego, we're thinking along the same lines.

A few weeks ago we got a Kill A Watt, (one day special at NewEgg.com for $16.95 and free shipping). I used it on a few things but not on that computer that's on for the MagicJack. So I just did that now. You're spot on about how much electricity it uses, just about 75 watts for the CPU with the monitor always turned off.

Our rate is .0774/KWH plus a Power Cost Factor of .0177122/KWH for a total of rate of .0951122/KWH.

Tell me if I'm figuring this correctly....

75 Watts x24hrs x 30 days = 54000 Watts = 54KWH

54KWH x .0951122 = $5.13/ month

Roughly $62/year for the electricity.

Very interesting. Seems like a good choice to have the MagicJack but it's good to consider the additional electricity involved.

Now, if I could just get DH to turn off the lights when he leaves the room....

I didn't check the math but that seems roughly accurate. $5 a month for electricity. That is the point at which I would start thinking hmmm, could I buy a cheapo low energy consuming netbook or similar device for $100 or so and save on power (plus have a netbook laying around). I think my netbook uses around 10 watts if the screen is on powersaver mode.

Add me to the list of people who finally dropped the landline.Thought I was going to save $40 a month, but it was only around $30, as they increased my dsl $8 since don't carry the landline now. I would love to show ATT my appreciation by dropping their dsl, too, but can't find another carrier!

Mulligan, I have the ATT dsl lite. I got an introductory price of $14.95 for a while and now pay $19.95 a month. Is that in line with yours? We have zero other options where we live.

We eat out less, buy fewer clothes at higher discounts, stay home more (which is more relaxing anyway) and in general buy less.

Sarah in SC said:
Mulligan, I have the ATT dsl lite. I got an introductory price of $14.95 for a while and now pay $19.95 a month. Is that in line with yours? We have zero other options where we live.

I wish Sarah. I'm getting gouged! I got 3 mbs (or whatever it's called). I can't get intro rate because I'm an existing customer. Have been paying $35, they said it would go to $43. I could go to the slowest dsl of 1.5 but that would only save $5, and I do a fair amount of streaming that the 1.5 didn't do so well with.

CFL's : I'm finally coming around to replacing many of our energy hog incandescent lights with CFL's. You can get 60 watt equivalents that use 25% of the electricity. Also got my first CFL floodlight (for over my computer). The floodlights come on and take a little longer to get to full intensity but that should be fine.

Yes, we've replaced everything with CFL, but I'm not sure we've saved any money from it yet, just electricity (which is important too).
After 23 years, I've about given up on getting the beloved to turn off lights when he leaves a room. On the other hand, he has been doing our taxes for the same 23 years.

Back
Top Bottom