Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

It's not need based. Collect it and save it if you don't need it til your wife gets another job, and then you can donate it to charity if you want to.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I've never been blessed with the opportunity to apply for Canadian unemployment insurance, I'm not sure I would. Bear in mind that I paid a premium to cover the cost while I was working. In Canada, UIC is a welfare program paid for by those who work. Canucks can dispute this if they want, I'll save my arguments for then, if I must.

My decision is based more on my GM's refusal to accept Canada's OAP. Old age pension was introduced in Canada in 1927 (I think). My GM who lost 7 brothers to the state between 1914 and 1918 refused it when she became eligible. Called it "blood money".

FIL, who died in 1997, had never collected any either. I think it was because he thought it would be taxed back (and 70% would have been).

Welfare is welfare, doesn't matter who pays for it.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I was laid off in 2003 and I collected my unemployment. It was very easy, you apply over the internet, check in once per week on-line (more or less, depending on your state).

One other issue, it really took much of the shock of the layoff away. At least I had some money coming in as my mind was reeling about what I was going to do next.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #24

I collected 30 weeks at $651/wk. Not sure why anyone would leave that kind of cash (19K) on the table. Who do you think you're helping?

Take the unemployment and donate it to charity ... now THATs noble and charitable.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a public benefit that you indirectly pay for via higher employment costs to your employer (the theory being they could have used a portion of that money to increase your salary in a free market absent the UI payment and subsequent benefit to you).

It seems strange not to take it given the low hassle factor and that you never know when you might need the money.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It's a public benefit that you indirectly pay for via higher employment costs to your employer (the theory being they could have used a portion of that money to increase your salary in a free market absent the UI payment and subsequent benefit to you).
Agreed. It would be like someone who's not self-employed refusing to take half of their SS payment because it was paid by their employer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #27

As I said, I didn't take it because of the hassle at the time. However, I omitted I had a one year six figure severance package. Did I leave money on the table, yes. Would I give back SS, well if I had Gates or Buffets type income, I think I would.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am on supplemental unemployment benefits right now....they pay the difference between what I make in the pt job and the weekly benefit I was entitled to working in megacorp. It makes a big difference since I can pay all my bills and continue to keep COBRA until I graduate from school.
Don't let silly pride/ego keep you from what your wife has already worked for.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

1969 - will the last person leaving Seattle turn out the lights?

1992 - whadda mean you're eliminating my department?

Show me the money! Twice even.

heh heh heh - frugal - I'll show you frugal! Of course there are other words for it. ER'd Jan 1, 1993.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
1969 - will the last person leaving Seattle turn out the lights?
No, that was just the Seattle Pilots baseball team turning out the light in 1969 before moving to Milwaukee.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 80s my BIL got laid off and did not apply as he had savings... he was the head of a construction company.. so not much need back then in Houston... the savings went... and he finally went in to get his benefits and was told 'you filed to late'... so take it while you can..

Another BIL is in the situation where they are planning on reducing the hours worked and want the employees to sign up for unemployment 'to make up the difference'... well, it seems that getting PARTIAL benefits start the clock on how much you can get time wise... so he did not apply... this will give him full benefits if he does get laid off for however many months etc. he qualifies...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking another reason to file is that there may be new programs (jobs, insurance, whatever) that are available only to people unemployed during a certain time (I have heard of something, which of course I can't remember, that is offered for people who lost their jobs after 9/1/2008, for example). Your wife might miss out on these if she doesn't file for benefits.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm thinking another reason to file is that there may be new programs (jobs, insurance, whatever) that are available only to people unemployed during a certain time (I have heard of something, which of course I can't remember, that is offered for people who lost their jobs after 9/1/2008, for example). Your wife might miss out on these if she doesn't file for benefits.
EXCELLENT point. My county has programs for retraining displaced (laid off) employees at local community colleges. In order to qualify, you have to be formally registered with the State Department of Labor, i.e. unemployment office.
Real live example - My housecleaner will be starting a fast track LPN program in mid April. She aced the qualifying exams, and NYS will be paying the tuition in full. I have already volunteered to be her math tutor. I am so excited for her.
So what does this have to do with your DW? It could open up some other possibilities for future reference, if her c*reer field is on a long term downswing for j*b openings.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Sorry to hear about your wife losing her job.

I must say I don't understand why you would refuse the benefits. Generally, unemployment benefits are paid from an employer funded insurance pool not form taxpayers. (I.e. all of us retired folks aren't paying for those folks collecting unemployment benefits) Presumably if such tax wasn't paid you would have benefited from higher wages over the years.

I see no difference between refusing to accept payment from your auto insurance company after an accident, and not accepting unemployment benefits.
I would suggest OP file but, the foregoing is no longer correct since the Stimulus Bill has a BIG chunk of Taxpayer Money expressly to be be used for the States (that have or, for that matter, don't have, a shortfall in the unemployment tax funds run by the individual States).
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
One of those is the 65% COBRA subsidy for nine months, available for people laid off between 9/1/2008 and 12/31/2009. Of course, this may be moot if you are a two-income household which can just switch to the other spouse's insurance using a "qualified mid-year family status change", but for others not in that situation, it's pretty huge.