REIT question for CyclingInvestor

daverph

Dryer sheet aficionado
How do you feel about REITS now or in the near future. More specifically, my 401k has a REIT fund, INvescoAIM Real Estate. Currently I have all money in 500 index. What do you think about putting money in this fund at this point?
Thanks,

Dave

I own no mutual funds, only individual stocks, so I cannot really answer about the relative quality of that fund.

However, I do track a number of individual REITs, mostly the biggest and (IMO) best run. I do not own any at this time because I do not feel they are the best value now. The earnings (and dividends) of most have taken severe shocks over the last few years, and the few that have not (such as O) have been growing earnings / dividends at a miniscule pace compared to the companies I am invested in now (PG, JNJ, KO, ABT, ADP, SYY etc). Also, earnings estimate of most REITs are all over the board, and I prefer a tighter band.

This does not mean I do not think that REITs will underperform - I have no opinion on this - they may do well. It merely means that they do not fit my criteria (undervalued IMO compared to other stocks, steadily growing earnings and dividends) at this time.

Sorry I cannot answer your question in a more helpful manner.

Back
Top Bottom