Join Early Retirement Today

REITs finally taking a dive??
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

REITs finally taking a dive??

Has the long awaited correction in REIT's finally arrived? My REIT index fund at Vanguard (VGSIX) is flat for the year (Currently 25.48 vs 25.44 at Y.E. with a 15 cent dividend along the way) even though earlier in the year it was up almost 14% at one point. Anyone care to speculate?
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: REITs finally taking a dive??
Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope, but I listened to the wise ones on this forum. I moved more than I had invested out of VGFSIX into Target 2015. The target fund is up, and what remains of the REIT is down.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #3

Sounds like a buying opportunity!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

The long overdue small cap correction is finally taking hold too. Some of these assets classes have been on a tear for so long; how much more upside can they possibly have left?
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey
Sounds like a buying opportunity!

Really? The current of 3.2% is significantly lower than the historical yield of 7%. It is plausible that income from property may go up to compensate the lower yield.

It may not be a bad time to bring your REIT allocation, if any, to its targeted balance.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My target is 10%. Right now the actual is 10.2%... not worth changing anything at the moment. However, I WOULD have made out by reallocating a few months ago when my actual percentage reached about 11.5%
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit
Has the long awaited correction in REIT's finally arrived? My REIT index fund at Vanguard (VGSIX) is flat for the year ...
My Fidelity REIT (FRESX) is behaving almost identically. This is the one fund that I least understand. Kind of going against the common wisdom of "not investing in something you don't understand"

Edit to add:
Here's a recent article saying that REIT is still a good investment today, FWIW.
http://www.smartmoney.com/fundscreen...story=20070413
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #8

I have the TIAA Real Estate account, not a REIT, they own properties. Not everyone qualifies to hold it but if you do it has great returns:

Year to date 5.58%
1 year 14.99%
3 year 14.64%
5 year 11.08%
since inception 9.76%

I have about 15% in it and have to fight the urge to pour more into it, because as soon as I did it would tank
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #9

Really? The current of 3.2% is significantly lower than the historical yield of 7%. It is plausible that income from property may go up to compensate the lower yield.

It may not be a bad time to bring your REIT allocation, if any, to its targeted balance.

----

No, I don't really plan to buy more right now. My REIT allocation is around 5%, down from about 7-8%, and I won't add more for a while, I don't think.

Karen
Old 05-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy REITS for income and if I get capital gains that is great. I sold two earlier this year and got a nice capital gain. I sold ithem because the yield at the current price had dropped below my target and I could move the money into other investments that were yielding better. I invest directly in REITS and study them just like a person would do on a any equity investment. I also save the mutual fund fee which also increases my return.
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I strongly suspect the days where REITs yielded significantly more than treasuries are long gone, never to be seen again.

I market timed myself out of REITs a couple of years ago when I should have just stuck with my asset allocation.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
The long overdue small cap correction is finally taking hold too. Some of these assets classes have been on a tear for so long; how much more upside can they possibly have left?

BRSIX is the smallest of the small cap, and it returned .99% for 1 year as of 4/30/07.
VFINX is the largest of the large cap, and it returned 15.07% for the same 1 year.

It seems that the small cap correction took hold some time ago, and the large cap stocks are on a tear.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

we've sold most of our domestic REIT investments, although we kept one specializing in health care properties, but we have exposure to international REITS, which have been doing really well, especially in places like Singapore, etc. We had REITS back before they were cool, and did very well with them, but domestic REITS may be in for a rough ride at present. It was time to move on.
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious

BRSIX is the smallest of the small cap, and it returned .99% for 1 year as of 4/30/07.
VFINX is the largest of the large cap, and it returned 15.07% for the same 1 year.

It seems that the small cap correction took hold some time ago, and the large cap stocks are on a tear.
Well I guess that's true but I'm comparing the RUT2000 vs S&P500.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Well I guess that's true but I'm comparing the RUT2000 vs S&P500.
The 1 year return of the Russell 2000 index as of 4/30/07 was 7.83%.
The 1 year return of VFINX (SP500 index) for the same period was15.07%.

http://www.russell.com/Indexes/chara...2000_Index.asp

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pm?s=VFINX
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #16

My REITs have gotten hit pretty hard this year. I have a lot of 2nd tier REITs that yield more than the average (currently 5.5-6.6%).

FR, O, NNN, SNH are my REIT holdings. They've come down enough that I may add to them in my Roth next year if they are still down where they are at today.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

im liking the fact i own a un-listed reit ,more and more . no daily fluctuations, no market perceptions sinking the stock and a nice income stream and potential capital gain at the end and so conservative in nature it goes in my income bucket not my stock bucket..

you get to own real bricks and morter and although there is a 6% fee you cant buy any real estate without closing costs anywhere.

i have to admit , being not very transparent as far as the goings ons or the worth of what you own i was very sceptical but took the plunge never expecting anything more than the income stream.

for what amounted to a charge of about 1% a year apple 2 the prior un-listed reit to the one i currently own now,which is apple vii ,spun off 7 to 8-1/4% even thru the low interest rates of the 2,000's
we just broke up and sold apple 2 off after 7 years for a whopping gain.

it worked out to an average gain of 17-1/2 % for 7 years including the income stream.

to tell you the truth if it was just the income stream at that rate thru the 2,000's in a money mkt rate world of under 1% i would have been happy to give up 1% a year but to actually make money on it was a surprise.

of course the past performance dosnt mean it will happen again but even if not the 8-1/2% and no daily fluctuations make me happy.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I noticed that mine was down.

Oh well, wait for the carnage to finish and pick some up cheap!

I own some REITs embedded in my small cap fund.

But in REIT specific funds... I only have about 1.2% of the portfolio... not enough to make a difference yet. I have a target of about 5%... I am still re-balancing into the REIT (opportunistically).

If they tank... I am ready to pick up some bargains. From my perspective... I hope everyone heads for the door at once... I have some cash to put in play if the opportunity looks right. 8)
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:59 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

im getting really interested in icf or rwr again. maybe around 75.00 ill buy rwr
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Is anyone on the forum familiar with non-traded REITS? These are advocated by Ray Lucia on his show. His claim is that they will create an income stream (between 6 and 8 percent) with little market fluctuation.
CMAN is offline   Reply With Quote