Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Rejoining company after 401K distribution
Old 09-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rejoining company after 401K distribution

I just reviewed IRS Publication 575 concerning the exemption from 10% penalty for 401K distributions after you've separated from service in or after the year you reach 55.

What would happen if you took a 401K distribution at age 55, then rejoined the same company 2 months later on a part-time basis? The period of separation doesn't seen to be defined in Publication 575. There is a related discussion on page 20/21 concerning Lump-Sum Distributions, but states this section only applies if the participant was born before January 2, 1936. I was born decades later.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
I just reviewed IRS Publication 575 concerning the exemption from 10% penalty for 401K distributions after you've separated from service in or after the year you reach 55.

What would happen if you took a 401K distribution at age 55, then rejoined the same company 2 months later on a part-time basis? The period of separation doesn't seen to be defined in Publication 575. There is a related discussion on page 20/21 concerning Lump-Sum Distributions, but states this section only applies if the participant was born before January 2, 1936. I was born decades later.
From what I remember when using this same IRS code provision when I left my previous employer at age 56, is that it does not matter who you work for after receiving the distribution. You can even go back to the same company as a full time employee, IIRC, and the original distribution is still penalty free.

For safety reasons, I would recommend at least 30 days separation of service from your previous employer to keep the IRS at bay.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the reply.

I will check with the plan administrator (Fidelity)
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

actually, you might also check if there’s some separation funding (payout of leave, vesting, etc) and if that impacts whether you are actually considered to have actually “left”.... not that different than when you apply for unemployment, many states don’t consider you “unemployed” until after you’ve depleted the payout of these as if they were regular salary

(others may be able to chime in as to whether that applied in their state..although I suspect it’s fairly/very rare)

[ I know in my case, I would have had to have been away for well over two months in order to roll my former 401k into my IRA]
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote