Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
Not me......keeping more cash than I need at this time. At "some" point in the future I think I will move pretty well everything into something like the Wellington so I don't have to think about it. Still waiting to find out if we can afford to move back to the UK......will need more cash if that happens. If we can't quite afford to move back I will stick most of that loose cash into stocks and adjust with the G fund in the TSP.

F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I will stick with my plan -- just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
That's what I did a couple of days ago. I was looking at it as balancing away from being too heavy in stocks. To me there is a lot of difference in a low return in bonds and very large swings that are possible in stocks. The best I can do is stay balanced. The last time I did a major re-balance was in late 2008 into stocks. Buying stocks wasn't popular at the time, but it worked for me.

Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
There is no good choice IMO.

Equities are a bit high but not necessarily over priced. That said, they have been rising since early Nov. 2012 with nothing more than a one time 5 or 6% pullback. We are long overdue but it is the strongest time of the year for equities. If it was March I'd be much more nervous about adding anything to equities based upon the end of the favorable period and the tapering fears.

I'm at 50/50 up from 30/70 or 35/65 but I now realize that was way too low an equity allocation. I wish I was at 60/40 but I should have come to the realization 2 years ago not now. It's all in tax deferred and tax free so there's no cost to rebalance but my problem is I'm just getting to my preferred AA or maybe 10% low on the equity side.

There is no good choice IMO.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #44
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My asset allocation has gotten to 57.6% stocks, thanks to the good stock performance in 2013. On Jan 2, my plan calls for trimming this back to 50% stocks. It will involve moving money from the total stock market VG fund to the total bond market fund.

The outlook for bonds sure doesn't seem good, but my plan doesn't allow me to make decisions based on my forecast.

It was time for us to get back to 60/40 after 2.5 years of not re-balancing. Luckily, PenFed CD rate increases came along just at the right time.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #45
Alas, I have the opposite problem. I want to work my way to 60/40 and I am at 50/50 now. To get there I'd need to sell some bonds (at a loss !) and buy stock (at record high prices). I'm trying to convince myself that 50/50 is just fine !!

"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote