Join Early Retirement Today

remote credit unions and banks
Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

remote credit unions and banks

How safe is it having CDs with banks/cu and dealing via the telephone and internet ?
I was looking at Pen Fed and Fort Knox for example.
I assume that if they are insured there shouldn't be any issues, or are there ?
bobbee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been doing it for years, no problems. It's relatively easy, and probably safer than carrying a check into a local bank. Usually I need to mail or fax a signed (sometimes notarized) form to the sending bank, setting up a wire transfer to the new bank. No big deal.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been living overseas since 2002 and our main US accounts are 1) our local credit union (on the west coast, which we also used as our primary bank while we lived in NYC for a few years) and 2) ING. Have never had any problems. You do have to plan ahead a bit for transfers and, in our case, international wires, etc. I try to arrange the latter when in the US, so that we can use the toll-free number (have to pay when dialing from overseas).

I monitor accounts daily via yodlee moneycenter. Have never seen any strange activity, though.

The only real hassle I have had is with rolling over retirement accounts -- some institutions require a medallion signature guarantee, and you have to go in to a local bank branch for that. We had some delays in transferring accounts due to that requirement.

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
gone traveling

I have had a checking account with a small Wyoming bank for many years; have maintained the account because of the great service (they still do escrow accounts, for example), with direct deposit and online banking, physical location has never been an issue. I also have an account with a local bank here in AZ only ,set it up because they were paying 3% on MMA's a year or so ago, that has changed, but it's nice to be able to get free notary services,coin counting, wire transfers, etc...
FDIC Insurance pretty much levels the playing field in terms of risk.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbee25 View Post
How safe is it having CDs with banks/cu and dealing via the telephone and internet ?
I was looking at Pen Fed and Fort Knox for example.
I assume that if they are insured there shouldn't be any issues, or are there ?
I've been with PenFed for over three years and it's been all done over the website with snail-mail followup. Never needed to phone them, let alone bother to visit our local branch.

Ironically their upstart practices have slowly siphoned our business away from Navy Federal Credit Union's brick & mortar branches.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My issue with PenFed is the lack of correspondent ATMs. First Tech is a member of the CU ATM network.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was going to put a CD in Ally Bank (the old GMAC), they are internet and phone only. Everything sounded great until I read several reviews where people had problems transfering money to another institution. They said that Ally got so picky about the paperwork details that it seems like gross incompetance or deliberate stalling.

We had a similar issue with a local bank, we called the person we were dealing with "The NO Lady", but we went back on her day off and got someone who was very helpful.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My issue with PenFed is the lack of correspondent ATMs.
Yep. We only use PenFed for CDs and our HELOC.

I read a snippy comment from a banker the other day that ATM use is dropping as people go to debit cards and cell-phone transactions...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I read a snippy comment from a banker the other day that ATM use is dropping as people go to debit cards and cell-phone transactions...
Or using the debit card at a grocery store and getting cash back. It's not as relevant now that we have accounts that rebate ATM fees, but even then it's a convenient way to save an extra stop while out running errands.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
on-line banking
Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

on-line banking

I have been using Bank of Internet for years! I can use others ATMs and have a limit of $8/month reimbursed fees. There CD's are ok but their checking and MM rates are more then some CD's!

You also get free checks etc.... it's all good! I am sure that there are others out there. Go to Bankrate.com and see what pop's up.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I opened FortKnox CDs recently. Pretty straight-forward. Wire fees: incoming $3 (first place I know that charges them), outgoing: $12. Yes, I believe NCUA insurance levels the playing field. Also, I believe they have additional $250k insurance on top of NCUA, but I am under NCUA limits...

I've wanted to open at Penfed for a while myself since they have high rates often, but every time I actually needed to open a CD there was a better place somewhere else... maybe next time :-)
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote