Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you take $10-15k out of your Roth it should not at all affect your wife's ACA
subsidies since Roth distributions are not counted as income for ACA subsidy purposes.
I would like to see July 22nd established as a national holiday. The birthday of William Roth who made these accounts possible in the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amen... what a great legacy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If you take $10-15k out of your Roth it should not at all affect your wife's ACA
subsidies since Roth distributions are not counted as income for ACA subsidy purposes.
+1
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Is there a way to remove some of my retirement money for a down payment without it going toward my yearly income? I am getting a subsidy for the ACA insurance, but it I get more money/income I loose the subsidy. I am 65, but my wife is 60 so no penalties should be involved. She is the only one on the ACA plan.
One other possible option is to take some money out of your house until your wife is on Medicare. We have a HELOC we use if we need more after tax cash to keep from going over the ACA cliff in a given year. We pay much less in interest than we gain from the subsidies so it works out for us now as we are both on ACA plans.

We also use an HSA and have a couple of small businesses with expenses that help lower our taxable income.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The money in question is actually in Roth accounts. How would this work?
Looks like you can just withdraw whatever you need from your ROTH without it having any impact on your MAGI:

Are Roth Distributions Counted Towards MAGI? - Obamacare Facts
merlin3942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3942 View Post
Looks like you can just withdraw whatever you need from your ROTH without it having any impact on your MAGI:

Are Roth Distributions Counted Towards MAGI? - Obamacare Facts

Would 72t be counted, they seem to word it that they would.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Would 72t be counted, they seem to word it that they would.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
a 72t would be withdrawing from an IRA, not a Roth IRA. It would be counted for income on your tax return and MAGI. The only part that might not be taxed would be the prorated part of the distribution for which you had after tax contributions.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #28

It is possible to withdraw Roth money in a way that is not taxed or penalized but also not qualified. I think being over 59.5 but withdrawing from a Roth account <5 years old is one. Sounds like that might be a problem if the answers we're finding are being precise with the term "qualified" and not just assuming that's the only way to withdraw penalty and tax free.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Both of our Roth accounts are 10+ years old.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
It is possible to withdraw Roth money in a way that is not taxed or penalized but also not qualified. I think being over 59.5 but withdrawing from a Roth account <5 years old is one. Sounds like that might be a problem if the answers we're finding are being precise with the term "qualified" and not just assuming that's the only way to withdraw penalty and tax free.
I suspect that the "qualified" is mis-used in the reference....that is, "qualified" is sufficient but not necessary for not messing up the ACA subsidy. Another
non-qualified withdrawal is withdrawal of Roth contribution when you are
< 59.5 .......not taxed/penalized and, I believe, doesn't affect ACA subsidy either. I'd be inclined to go w/ the MAGI criteria.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
One other possible option is to take some money out of your house until your wife is on Medicare. We have a HELOC we use if we need more after tax cash to keep from going over the ACA cliff in a given year. We pay much less in interest than we gain from the subsidies so it works out for us now as we are both on ACA plans.

We also use an HSA and have a couple of small businesses with expenses that help lower our taxable income.
Great idea on the HELOC withdrawals.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote