Join Early Retirement Today

Removing Retirement Money?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Removing Retirement Money?

Is there a way to remove some of my retirement money for a down payment without it going toward my yearly income? I am getting a subsidy for the ACA insurance, but it I get more money/income I loose the subsidy. I am 65, but my wife is 60 so no penalties should be involved. She is the only one on the ACA plan.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Only if you borrow it as a loan or withdraw from a Roth.
Bruce

Old 10-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiner View Post
Only if you borrow it as a loan or withdraw from a Roth.
Bruce
The money in question is actually in Roth accounts. How would this work?
Old 10-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Simply withdraw whatever you wish. It's all tax free.
Bruce

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiner View Post
Simply withdraw whatever you wish. It's all tax free.
Bruce
His concern isn't about taxes, it's about added income causing him to loose his ACA subsidy.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As far as I know ROTH distributions are not part of MAGI and have no effect on ACA subsidies.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

See:
https://www.healthcare.gov/income-an...mation/income/

for what is included in MAGI for ACA purposes. It has a note regarding Roth distributions.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

with the OP being 65, I would assume he would be on Medicare. Not sure how the ACA determines subsidy levels when one is not covered by the ACA plan. The link RE2Boys used noted that their income would be needed.

question for the OP, how low do you need to keep your MAGI income?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
See:
https://www.healthcare.gov/income-an...mation/income/

for what is included in MAGI for ACA purposes. It has a note regarding Roth distributions.
Here is the money quote from RE2Boys link
Quote:
Include most IRA and 401k withdrawals. (See details on retirement income in the instructions for IRS publication 1040). Note: Don’t include qualified distributions from a designated Roth account as income.
We're entering the new year with a change to who's on ACA and who's on Medicare... DH starts medicare in January, and our sons and myself will stay on an exchange policy. Covered CA is not making this an easy task to enroll/renew.... probably because the renewal and the change in status fall on the same date.... I'm going to be forced to call and sit on hold to deal with a real person.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
with the OP being 65, I would assume he would be on Medicare. Not sure how the ACA determines subsidy levels when one is not covered by the ACA plan. The link RE2Boys used noted that their income would be needed.
he said his wife is 60 and on the ACA plan.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post

question for the OP, how low do you need to keep your MAGI income?
Around $40,000. I would want to withdraw $10,000 to $15,000. I have a Roth and my wife has a Roth acount.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Here is the money quote from RE2Boys link

We're entering the new year with a change to who's on ACA and who's on Medicare... DH starts medicare in January, and our sons and myself will stay on an exchange policy. Covered CA is not making this an easy task to enroll/renew.... probably because the renewal and the change in status fall on the same date.... I'm going to be forced to call and sit on hold to deal with a real person.
Good luck with that. I had to make the change to Medicare just prior of my wife having a surgical procedure. I wanted to make sure her insurance was not screwed with. She kept the same policy, but the cost doubled, due to me dropping out of Obamacare. I take a cut in SS and had to pay more for supplement insurance also. This is all backwards!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am getting a subsidy for the ACA insurance, but it I get more money/income I loose the subsidy.
Since the subsidy (taxpayer money) is for those who can not afford the ACA and you are concerned about earning above that, you would be ineligible for free government assistance. That's the way it works, I think.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sorry mickeyd that is not how it works. Someone can have 4 million bucks in the bank getting 1% interest-40K and they would get a big subsidy. Anyone, even rich people can spend down their savings and adjust their income for the "government assistance".
And Roth withdrawal does not count as income. [MOD EDIT] In 2000 my health insurance "paid by myself" IFP plan, 4K deducible 4K OOP was 50 bucks, 16 years later, my deducible and oop is higher and it has gone up 10x. 500.00. People need to adjust income for assistance.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #15

Mickey you should plan ahead You can have well over 5-6 million bucks net worth and collect subsidies and live on 10k plus a month and pay close to 0 in federal taxes.

It is all matter of withdrawing "appropriate" funds at "appropriate" age. IE 60k long term dividends, 30k CD ladder, 30k Roth before age 65 will get you there.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Fun to see a thread highest net worth and still getting ACA subsidy.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #17

And if you are crossing ACA subsidy you have a right to make HSA contribution and lower your MAGi .
Old 10-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
And if you are crossing ACA subsidy you have a right to make HSA contribution and lower your MAGi .
Is this true even if you don't have a HDHP? I thought (could be wrong... it happens a lot) that HSAs were only allowed for HDHPs.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Is this true even if you don't have a HDHP? I thought (could be wrong... it happens a lot) that HSAs were only allowed for HDHPs.
Correct you need to have HDHP.

That gives you 7k wiggle room if you underestimate dividends and interest on CD ladder.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Around $40,000. I would want to withdraw $10,000 to $15,000. I have a Roth and my wife has a Roth acount.
If you take $10-15k out of your Roth it should not at all affect your wife's ACA
subsidies since Roth distributions are not counted as income for ACA subsidy purposes.