Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Rent or buy: run the numbers.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

AZ gets hot and humid during the July -August Monsoon, where the wind picks up the moisture from the Gulf of California and brings it over the lower part of the state.* Other wise it stays pretty dry (hot summers, warm winters).

I'd bet you can find an affordable home here:

Good Luck 8)

LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Originally Posted by Laurence
I have a friend who is convinced the bubble is bursting here in SD, he has sold his McMansion for an obscene profit and is renting a similar home for less than his mortgage was.* So far he's coming out ahead every month.* Even if the market only stays flat and then starts rising again, he could still win if he made enough of a profit investing the windfall (but taxes, always the taxes to figure).* Still, he's got a daughter almost the same age as mine, that's some mental fortitude.
Risky business trying to time the housing market.* I hope his landlord doesn't come to his senses and sell the property out from under him.

A colleague of mine is also convinced that the real estate market in NYC is peaking and sold his condo . . . in 1999!* Prices have doubled again (at least) and the hefty gain he realized isn't buying much real estate these days.*

Sometimes, in situations like this, people can be too clever for their own good.* I worried a lot about housing prices when I bought my place but now could care less.* I have to live somewhere.* If housing prices go up, my property should generally track the market and keep my real estate purchasing power more or less constant.* If prices go down, its the same thing only my non-real estate net worth buys more property - which suits me just fine.

Retired early, traveling perpetually.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ya, his plan is definitely not for me. Very good chance we'll stay right where we are for a long time.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Originally Posted by unclemick2

After a brief look here in NW MO - four people plus a dog and cat - ignored my own advice(from prior posts) and bought.

Never bothered to run the numbers. Handcapped equiped(Mom) house with a yard for the dog.

Will play with numbers in later posts.

I kind of did the same thing. Renting had appeal, but with a smoker and 4 dogs.................well, there just wasn't much to be had. I am very happy
now that we bought instead, even though I have not crunched the
numbers lately.

MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote