Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
...I'm a bit overwhelmed by the responses of just drive it into the ground ... BTW, that is what DW would prefer.

... I take a little more pride in my ride while for DW if it gets from point A to point B safely it is fine with her.

The truck is mainly DW's ride ...
So, trade-in the DW. Problem solved.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
While I like racy's answer, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the responses of just drive it into the ground - which is an option C that I failed to include. BTW, that is what DW would prefer.

My only apprehension is that I have a Thursday golf group that travels to different courses and different people drive each week I am absolutely embarrassed to pull up with this piece of sh!%. I take a little more pride in my ride while for DW if it gets from point A to point B safely it is fine with her.

The truck is mainly DW's ride (mine is the turbocharged, 4 door sedan which is really quick and I enjoy driving) but I do use the truck occasionally.

I want to think about it more but I think you're convincing me to let it rot and drive it until it dies.
If DW drives it most of the time I would just let her decide what to do.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
While I like racy's answer, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the responses of just drive it into the ground - which is an option C that I failed to include. BTW, that is what DW would prefer.

./.

The truck is mainly DW's ride (mine is the turbocharged, 4 door sedan which is really quick and I enjoy driving) but I do use the truck occasionally.
Wait a minute. This is her ride, she knows which option she wants, but you're not sure? I have visions of the Space Family Robinson robot waiving its arms and shouting "warning, warning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
If DW drives it most of the time I would just let her decide what to do.
Yup. Make it safe, then take the extra money and set it aside to start a new truck fund.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Here's a picture of my veteran truck. It's a surplus DWFP (Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks) 1995 GMC with 192K miles.
Nice truck...I LOVE that color! I know it's just sort of an industrial/commercial vehicle color, and probably wasn't available to the general public, but I like it.

My uncle had a 1997 Chevy Silverado half-ton, extended cab, short bed, that was pretty much shot by around 140,000 miles. The body looked good, but underneath it was looking pretty rusty...frame, crossmembers, back side of some of the body panels, the inside of the bumper, etc. It also had been through two transmissions, and was just not aging well, in general.

I think the biggest factor that did that truck in was that my uncle tended to park it on the grass alot, and that let moisture get to it. He drove it alot in the early years, probably getting to around 80,000 miles within the first three years. But then his job moved him and he was looking at about a 130 mile round trip commute, so he bought a new 2003 Corolla to use, and the truck didn't get used as much, and spent a lot of time sitting.

He let me use his truck as a trade-in last year for a leftover 2012 Dodge Ram. My rationale at the time would be that the Ram would replace both his '97 and my '85, as neither truck was a primary vehicle. But, after I bought the Ram, he would barely drive it. He said it rides too rough, is too hard to get in and out of, and is a pain in the butt to park. And I ended up hanging onto my '85, because, I know this sounds stupid, but I didn't want to mess up a pretty new truck by making it do "truck" work!

Plus, I go into DC alot, and that Ram is a huge pain when it comes to parallel parking and tight maneuvering. And I'd always worry about someone hitting it.

So now, I've had this Ram about 13 months. And it just hit 5600 miles this week. So, like the other two trucks, it sits around alot. But, I make sure it sits on a paved driveway at least, and not out in the grass, so hopefully the rust will hold off for awhile...
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Wait a minute. This is her ride, she knows which option she wants, but you're not sure? I have visions of the Space Family Robinson robot waiving its arms and shouting "warning, warning"

and totally agree
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
It fine if you don't take it on long drives, with water pump seal going the water pumps days are very definitely numbered. If you are not going into the boonies such as west Texas or other areas with similar population density you may be ok, although if when the truck is borrowed the water pump fails hard, someone may be unhappy. BTW 2 years ago a water pump on a 2001 silverado cost $700 including labor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, thanks,I understand the consequences, and the pump is being replaced by me and my son in law this weekend. Fortunately, the old truck never goes far from this area.
This brings back memories of the times I had to replace the water pump on those V8s, back in the 70s.

No matter if the engine was a Ford or Chevy, the water pump was a big hunk of cast iron that was bolted to the two engine heads, with the fan and pump impeller sitting in the middle. Oh, how I had to get a ride to go get a new pump, then swap it out by the side of the road. At least, the pump was quite accessible, compared to those of new engines.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you really want a new pickup, go for it - that will boost my pension.

PM me for a PIN for a Friends and Family discount on the country's best selling truck.
I thought you were retired, but I see you still have the sales bug in your blood.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #48

First off, as most said...leave the dents and rust.

But, as a more generic answer...I do the math like this...

Take the book value of the car as it is. Add the cost of repairs. Use that value, and ask yourself...could I sell it for that much? If the answer is no, don't do the repairs.

Obviously if the math comes out not to repair, you still have to choose whether to drive it as is or buy a new truck, but at least it keeps you from putting more into the truck than would be prudent.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not to hijack, but you should also take into account how much insurance will cost. I just noticed my renewal rates for my autos are ridiculous. The van that my daughter drives, 1996 Honda Odyssey, collision only, costs more than the 2012, full coverage Toyota Highlander to insure. The 2002 and 2005 vehicles are more too.

Why does a newer vehicle cost more than a 10+ year old vehicle to insure?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Not to hijack, but you should also take into account how much insurance will cost. I just noticed my renewal rates for my autos are ridiculous. The van that my daughter drives, 1996 Honda Odyssey, collision only, costs more than the 2012, full coverage Toyota Highlander to insure. The 2002 and 2005 vehicles are more too.

Why does a newer vehicle cost more than a 10+ year old vehicle to insure?
One thing that might make a difference...is your daughter listed as the primary driver of that Odyssey? If so, her age might make a difference. Does the '96 have airbags, or does it have those motorized seatbelts? What about anti-lock brakes?

I think that, as a vehicle gets older, it can cost more to insure, to a point, because it's more likely to get totaled out. Often, an insurance company will total out a vehicle if the cost to repair is around 60% of blue book value. So if you have a new $30K vehicle and it gets into an accident that does $12K worth of damage to it, the insurance company is out $12K. But once it's a few years old and only worth $20K, the same accident will total it, and the insurance company is now out $20K, rather than $12K.

But, as the value continues to drop, I would think the rates should start to come back down. For instance, once it's worth $6K, the $12K worth of damage would only cost the insurance company $6K.

One other possibility with the Odyssey...what type of vehicle does the insurance company consider it to be? Back then, the Odyssey wasn't really a minivan (and minivans ain't so "mini-" any more). It was a much smaller vehicle, more of a tall Accord than a real minivan. In fact, the Odyssey is the reason Honda discontinued the Accord wagon. So maybe the premium is high because it's considered a smaller vehicle, and theoretically more dangerous?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote