Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
In other words, you like them.......... Well, compared to EIA and VA..........
Yeah, possibly the least offensive product of the bunch, at least the CD-type ones. The delayed payout ones with long delays are sometimes egregiously sold to the elderly and have humongous surrender penalties. Occasionally this behavior comes to light and an insurance commissioner does something about it, but not too often.

- Will Rogers
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just my opinion, but I don't see any advantage to a fixed annuity any more....wait, let me think about it......nope.
I'd rather own muni bonds.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Just my opinion, but I don't see any advantage to a fixed annuity any more....wait, let me think about it......nope.
Pretty much agree.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

From the Kiplinger Forum, Kiplinger.com Community - Annuities :

Quote:
Old 04-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bond funds or ladders??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I encourage all to familiarize themselves with our community rules in advance. These include:
  • Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
  • Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

So we are supposed to treat this marketing effort as a face value discussion?

Not playing, then.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #28

I think a poster's statements, discussions, and threats concerning similar subject matter on another financial forum are relevant in assessing credibility.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMe View Post
I think a poster's statements, discussions, and threats concerning similar subject matter on another financial forum are relevant in assessing credibility.
I agree.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
2007 Annuity Sales?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #30

2007 Annuity Sales?

Source Link.

Stock Brokers sell the vast majority of ALL annuities nationwide.

Let have a review:

Quote:
Fixed Annuities Are Not Variable Annuities
A fixed rate annuity pays a stated rate of interest that is no less than the minimum guaranteed rate of interest. A fixed index annuity pays a minimum rate of interest and bases the crediting of excess interest on the movement of an external index. With a fixed index annuity the rate of participation in the index interest crediting for the period is fixed and known; the minimum guaranteed interest rate is fixed and known; the only unknown is how the index will move. Neither fixed rate nor fixed index annuities can lose principal or credited interest if the stock market goes down. And yet reporters always try to segment fixed annuities as variable annuities - letís look at the differences.

►Variable annuity principal is subject to market risk. Fixed annuity principal is not subject to market risk.
►Variable annuity returns may be lost due to market risk. Fixed annuity credited interest cannot be lost due to market risk.
►Variable annuities have mortality charges and management fees. Fixed annuities do not charge mortality and management fees.
►Variable annuities do not pay minimum interest rates. Fixed annuities do credit minimum guaranteed interest rates.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

FireMe, this Community Rule...

Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.

...refers to posting the same information on multiple forums on the E-R board (Fire and Money, Life after FIRE, etc.).

As Rich says, information from another financial forum other than E-R, can be relevant.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #32

I'm sure they do, how else are they going to make money and rip us off?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Just a reminder on how you can DIY an EIA (assuming you think the strategy is a good idea - I am less than wild about it):

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...eia-34656.html

- Will Rogers
Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #34

Gary, do you have a Series 7 license?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #35

I believe Gary has left the building...

Old 04-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Bond funds or ladders??
Been burned way too often in bond funds (especially high quality ones). If you've got the time, do laddered zeros. If you don't, but have the money, do a diversified portfolio of munis.
If you have a small sum of money and want monthly income that is non- taxable, muni bond funds may be your only option. However, I'd still avoid closed end funds. Just too volatile for me.
And here's where I lose my buddy Brewer,....VA's now have guaranteed annual step ups that are higher than the fixed annuity rates, with a chance for market growth. Why bother with fixed anymore? All JMO.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #37

BTW, I don't think it is appropriate to use what someone has said on other boards as a determinant factor. Even criminals get out on parole. Perhaps the guy is trying to turn over a new leaf?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Perhaps the guy is trying to turn over a new leaf?
Looks to me like he was trying to dig up some new clients...

Old 04-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Art, your fellow sales-slug was obviously shilling for clients. Even you have to have been able to see that.

Naturally, I assume he gave you the secret handshake to help him out or at least keep mum.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Art, your fellow sales-slug was obviously shilling for clients. Even you have to have been able to see that.

Naturally, I assume he gave you the secret handjobshake to help him out or at least keep mum.
Some day I'd just love to see you do a thread about the secrets to hedge fund investing. I'd bet all would love to know what hedge funds do to create hysteria and havoc in the market. Don't know who you work for, but do know of large funds that manipulate share prices.
Anyway, did it look at all like I was helping the guy or keeping mum? Do you think you should get blackballed from all sites just because you're a jerk? To tell the truth, I can't figure out why you haven't been banned.