Join Early Retirement Today

Reporting non-dividend distribution on 1099-DIV
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reporting non-dividend distribution on 1099-DIV

I'm entering data from the 1099-DIV form I got from Vanguard. It has $113.xx worth of nondividend distributions. TaxAct said I had to pick the cost basis for it, I didn't find the information on the form so I selected zero and now it says this:

You entered nondividend distributions on Form 1099-DIV for Vanguard Marketing Corp. The nondividend distributions exceed your basis in the stock by $114. This amount will be reported as a capital gain on Form 8949. If you held the stock under one year before receipt of the nondividend distributions, select "Short-term" below. If you held the stock one year or longer, select "Long-term."

I'm not sure where to find this info, I have the 'Date paid' column on the 1099-Div form but not date acquired.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #2

Have you tried calling VG? If you're lucky they might some record of the purchase, how much you bought it for,when you bought it, whether you are reinvesting dividends, etc. If you had enough basis, the non-dividend distribution would reduce the basis but would not be taxable.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rather than entering this info manually, have you tried downloading it into the tax program instead? Much of the info you are asking for could be in the download.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

I'm using taxAct - unlike the w2s where it gave me the option to download the info directly I didn't find that option for this. I did send an email to Vanguard about my question above so we shall see what they say.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I use Turbo Tax and the download would be as part of importing all your 1099/cap gains/interest from your broker.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I use Turbo Tax and the download would be as part of importing all your 1099/cap gains/interest from your broker.
Same for me.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

This came up in our AARP tax class. It is a tax free return of capital.In theory, you would reduce your basis by that amount.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Non-dividend distributions reduce your basis in the stock. Once your basis has been reduced to zero, the IRS will tax those distributions as capital gains in the year of distribution. So, your tax prep program is just monitoring your decreasing basis in the stock pending the day you sell your shares...then, it can compute your ST/LT Cap Gain/Loss properly.

Say you bought 100 shares of a $10 stock thru Schwab. Your basis for that position is $1,006.95. Now, the company gives you back a non-dividend distribution of $100...your basis in the position is now $906.95. Keep reducing each year by any non-div distributions. Once the basis is 0 (as you are trying to report) the distribution becomes a Cap Gain for tax purposes. You can't go below 0.
Edgewater Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #9

Well as with my previous interactions with Vanguard's support (vs. Fidelity, who seemed a lot more knowledgeable and eager to help) was useless, they responded with 'pls contact a tax professional we can't provide tax advice'
Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Tom View Post
Non-dividend distributions reduce your basis in the stock. Once your basis has been reduced to zero, the IRS will tax those distributions as capital gains in the year of distribution. So, your tax prep program is just monitoring your decreasing basis in the stock pending the day you sell your shares...then, it can compute your ST/LT Cap Gain/Loss properly.

Say you bought 100 shares of a $10 stock thru Schwab. Your basis for that position is $1,006.95. Now, the company gives you back a non-dividend distribution of $100...your basis in the position is now $906.95. Keep reducing each year by any non-div distributions. Once the basis is 0 (as you are trying to report) the distribution becomes a Cap Gain for tax purposes. You can't go below 0.
Thank you, I think I understand it now. So basically I'd have to find my cost basis and then reduce the non-div distribution amount from it. However, I don't know what my cost basis are to begin with. With DCA every month the basis vary and I believe the brokerage is supposed to track and provide that info.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

OK, upon further reading it looks like Box 3 on 1099-DIV which is where this amount was reported for VTSAX is for informational purposes only. From what I understand it's not taxable and doesn't need to be reported unless the basis are 0 or until I sell. This isn't the case for 2016 and in the future if either of the two situations happen I'd think Vanguard would report it as capital gains with the appropriate accounting/adjust-basis figured out.

So I'm going to not report the $113.xx in box 3 so TaxAct won't throw up all over itself.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
..............From what I understand it's not taxable and doesn't need to be reported unless the basis are 0 or until I sell. This isn't the case for 2016 and in the future if either of the two situations happen I'd think Vanguard would report it as capital gains with the appropriate accounting/adjust-basis figured out.

since VG is not reporting basis now,this is likely a non-covered security so VG likely will not be reporting it as CG in the future since it has no interest or info to do that.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
OK, upon further reading it looks like Box 3 on 1099-DIV which is where this amount was reported for VTSAX is for informational purposes only.
I own VTI (a different share class of VTSAX). I didn't get anything reported in Box 3 from two different brokers.

Perhaps asking at bogleheads.org will turn up more people with a number in box 3. Maybe you already asked over there anyways?

Did you get some kind of bonus from your financial institution? Was this some money from lending out your shares that no one else got?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #14

I asked VG another way and here's what they said (except notice they say VGSLX but in fact it's for VTSAX):

The nondividend distributions reported for the Vanguard REIT Index Fund
Admiral Shares (VGSLX) is return of capital. This part of the distribution
is nontaxable because it is a return of your cost.

We automatically update your cost basis for the security once we have
received this information so your revised cost basis information is
available online at vanguard.com. We reviewed our records and you did not
sell any shares of VGSLX last year so you did not realize any gains through
the sale of the security that can be offset by the return of capital.

Oh and here's the description of Box 3:

Box 3. Shows the part of the distribution that is nontaxable because it is a return
of your cost (or other basis). You must reduce your cost (or other basis) by this
amount for figuring gain or loss when you sell your stock. But if you get back all
your cost (or other basis), report future distributions as capital gains. See Pub.

So I think it's ok to not report Box 3 to the IRS but will quiet TaxAct?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #15

From VG's response, this is my understanding. They gave you back $113 that you had given them to purchase shares. They adjusted your basis accordingly. So if your basis in the fund was $1000 before the distribution, Vanguard is now reporting your basis as $887. You don't have to pay taxes on the $113 because you are just getting your money back.

To make it work in your tax software, either don't enter anything into Box 3, or enter $113 in Box 3 and report the basis as $113.

Personally I would opt for the second option so the return wouldn't be flagged by a first-level check that you have entered everything reported on the 1099.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #16

Quote:
To make it work in your tax software, either don't enter anything into Box 3, or enter $113 in Box 3 and report the basis as $113.
Well I can't report the basis as $113 right? TaxAct wants to know the 'pre-adjusted' basis before the $113. So let's say i look through my Dec 2016 statement and find the basis for VTSAX, let's say I own 50 VTSAX shares for a total of $1113 bought at various times. Should I report the basis as $1113 - $113 = $1000
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #17

I think you are overthinking this. If you look at the actual Schedule B form that TaxAct fills out for you, you'll see there is no place for the number from Box 3 and that number won't appear anywhere in the file that TaxAct sends to the IRS, so there's no reporting going on in the background.

The IRS doesn't care about returns of capital until you actually sell the asset and Vanguard has already told you that when you do sell the asset in some future year, then they will report the adjusted basis to the IRS and to you on a 1099-B. The number in box 3 of a 1099-DIV is just for your own information right now.

If, for some reason, you want to track your cost basis in TaxAct, put $113 in the spot for Box 3 and put the "pre-adjusted" basis, which would be your actual purchase price that you gave as $1113 in your example above.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #18

My mistake. I thought Tax Act was asking for the basis on the $113 for some reason, then trying to calculate a gain on that money.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #19

Thank you Cathy63! I agree! I came to the same conclusion a couple of posts ago (that is to just not even bother filling in Box 3 in TaxAct) but wanted confirmation from others.

When I sell the stocks, I'm sure VG will provide the appropriate basis info etc at that time.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
gone traveling

Sounds like there's some Master Limited Partnerships in fund to me.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote