Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,914
Were I you I would look on line to see properties are on the market that you might buy. If there aren't any then don't sell.
__________________

__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Were I you I would look on line to see properties are on the market that you might buy. If there aren't any then don't sell.
Yes that is what I'm doing now...only a few in my price range that good look. And by few I mean 4...
__________________

__________________
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 360
Beware. This is a way for the realtor to get listings. He presents the all cash contract and you have to list with him. Then the buyer backs out because there is usually a clause about approving the condo rules and bylaws. Tell the broker you just want his listing contract to last 2 weeks and for this buyer only. I bet he goes away.
__________________
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Hi,

This complex was developed with City Redevelopment Agency funding, and there is a permanent owner occupancy restriction. It can be waived (with HOA and City approval) for a job relocation > 50 miles, foreclosure/bankruptcy, financial hardship and a few other cases, but it generally prevents investors from buying them as rental units. Of course given recent times, there are some cases were owners are renting out their units.

Now an investor can certainly still buy a unit and flip it later...

Then I would question why a developer is buying up units From what you say, it can not be to rent... so what are they going to do with them?

I would also agree with jayc that there might be something else going on... so be careful...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Accidental Retiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
I've never heard of this but maybe I'll ask the dude on Saturday...it would certainly go a long way towards assuaging my concerns about finding a new home, if I decide to do this...
I have had 2 realtors tell me we could do exactly that, put a contingency in for our buying our next home. The buyers are even giving 30-60 days free rent-back so that they can buy in our neighborhood.
__________________
Chief Retirement Strategist
The AR Group
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 434
I'm a Realtor.

Call a competing Realtor and ask for a free CMA. Don't tell them you have been talking to another Realtor - just make it sound like you are thinking of selling.

That should give you peace of mind about what someone else is saying the fair market value is. By the way, the similar unit that sold in 2011 really isn't a good comparable. I would only use sales that have happened in the past 3-4 months.
__________________
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 232
Thanks all - I appreciate all the words of caution...I will ask a lot of questions Saturday and if something doesn't smell right I'll probably show him the door...
__________________
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
I'm a Realtor.

Call a competing Realtor and ask for a free CMA. Don't tell them you have been talking to another Realtor - just make it sound like you are thinking of selling.

That should give you peace of mind about what someone else is saying the fair market value is. By the way, the similar unit that sold in 2011 really isn't a good comparable. I would only use sales that have happened in the past 3-4 months.
Hi Fishing,

Thanks. Question - technically I'm not really working with a broker as this agent is representing buyer. Would I need to be evasive on this at all, as it would certainly be my option to have a broker representing me as seller is well, if I opted to and was willing to pay the commission, no?
__________________
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 232
Hi,

Just an update, I met with the agent this morning. He did present an all cash offer for $170K, 10 day closing, no appraisal. I said no, that was too low and he did ask what my range would be. I said I would not sell anywhere in the range that he had thrown out before of $170-$190 and I would want to see something in the range of $225K before I even thought about entertaining the hassle of moving right now. Someone here said he would then try and get a listing so he gave me his best pitch...he said $225 was possible as one unit went into escrow at $239,900 (that unit is parkside, so they tend to fetch more) but if it did close at that number then we could list my unit at $240-$245K given there is such low inventory. My feeling is that is optimistic 'sales pitch' though, plus there is still the problem of where I would move to as I didn't find much available. He went though what I would want in a place and I listed out 2 bd, 2ba plus garage, fireplace, walkable to shops/restaurants. He said he knew of a couple of listings he would send me, so I said sure I would drive by the complex and take a look from the outside. I think I know those complexes he's talking about though and if they are what I remember I don't really like how they are laid out, though they are walkable to a small lake with some shops/restaurants nearby. Probably not enough to make we want to move. We'll see...
__________________
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Hi,

Just an update, I met with the agent this morning. He did present an all cash offer for $170K, 10 day closing, no appraisal. I said no, that was too low and he did ask what my range would be. I said I would not sell anywhere in the range that he had thrown out before of $170-$190 and I would want to see something in the range of $225K before I even thought about entertaining the hassle of moving right now. Someone here said he would then try and get a listing so he gave me his best pitch...he said $225 was possible as one unit went into escrow at $239,900 (that unit is parkside, so they tend to fetch more) but if it did close at that number then we could list my unit at $240-$245K given there is such low inventory. My feeling is that is optimistic 'sales pitch' though, plus there is still the problem of where I would move to as I didn't find much available. He went though what I would want in a place and I listed out 2 bd, 2ba plus garage, fireplace, walkable to shops/restaurants. He said he knew of a couple of listings he would send me, so I said sure I would drive by the complex and take a look from the outside. I think I know those complexes he's talking about though and if they are what I remember I don't really like how they are laid out, though they are walkable to a small lake with some shops/restaurants nearby. Probably not enough to make we want to move. We'll see...
You could always put some stuff in storage, and temporarily move into an apartment if you actually would like to move.

Although it appears that houses are off the races once again, except for a very few land constrained cities with strong in migration of good earners from US and abroad, there may not be enough underlying demand to make it last. Also, imagine what it is going to be like to try to sell a house that has been valued with 3.5% mortgage money into a market with more normal 7% mortgage money. Interest rates can return to the mean without much inflation. All it would take it less artificial suppression. What if the Fed made the modest pullback of no longer buying any mortgage securities?

I see you live in Southern California. Depending on where, you may not want to take the risk of not holding a marker in the real estate game of musical chairs.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You could always put some stuff in storage, and temporarily move into an apartment if you actually would like to move.

Although it appears that houses are off the races once again, except for a very few land constrained cities with strong in migration of good earners from US and abroad, there may not be enough underlying demand to make it last. Also, imagine what it is going to be like to try to sell a house that has been valued with 3.5% mortgage money into a market with more normal 7% mortgage money. Interest rates can return to the mean without much inflation. All it would take it less artificial suppression. What if the Fed made the modest pullback of no longer buying any mortgage securities?

I see you live in Southern California. Depending on where, you may not want to take the risk of not holding a marker in the real estate game of musical chairs.

Ha
Thanks, Ha. Don't think the migration portion of the equation holds up but my town is land constrained now (surrounded by a greenbelt mish-mosh of national recreation area land, state park land, and city purchased and put into a local trust not to be developed land. There are no large swaths of land available to the big residential developers here anymore, there is one smaller development of new construction that is nearly sold, otherwise it is smaller developers coming in to buy up a few lots, tear down the single family homes, and put up multifamily townhomes as that is where the demand is...

Had dinner with a friend tonight (a restaurant that she had to drive to, but I just took a five minute stroll to on a perfect SoCal night) and she helped me put this in perspective. She basically told me that unless I was unhappy living where I was, I was foolish to move as I am in a unique location. I have the best of all worlds: the walkability of urban living, with the convenience and safety of suburbia, along with a short stress-free commute and plenty of open space/trails/hiking nearby. She told me I was nuts if I sold right now as this complex should only increase in value with the recent commercial development around me.

i guess it just takes a good friend (and an internet forum with smart people too ) to tell you what you already know in your heart: I am home. Feels good to know that. For some reason I was never fully sure of that until this little exercise. Now, I am sure, and there is no reason to move anywhere, anytime in the foreseeable future. Now when FIRE might be a different story...

Thanks all, I know my answer now. Gonna sit on my rear end and do nothing different than I arleady am
__________________
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,446
Sounds like a good fit for you. Someday you might be offered a deal you can't refuse, but I would stay put for now.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
Jmo1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 67
Do what makes you happy.
__________________

__________________
Jmo1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.