Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You don't need to set quarterly RMD payments, just do it in Dec. Unlike estimated payment, withholding doesn't have to be "timely." You can withhold your entire year's tax obligation on Dec 31st.
I may be misunderstanding you, or the situation I'm describing is different from what you are covering - I was thinking in terms of having my entire tax obligation covered by just the RMD withholding.

IOW, I might have income from dividends (with no withholding) in all 4 quarters. In that case, if my only withholding was from the RMD in Dec, might I run afoul of IRS regs? My thinking was, spread it out evenly over the 4 quarters, and it would be close enough to actual income to stay in the guidelines?

I understand that I can do the RMD in Dec, and if I withhold a proper amount to cover taxes on the RMD, that's fine. But I thought that would not cover me for any additional taxes due in Q 1-3?

edit/add: OK, so by saying this "Unlike estimated payment, withholding doesn't have to be "timely."" you are saying that Dec w/h would apply to all other tax obligations in any quarter?

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some folks withhold the entire RMD if needed and allowed.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

edit/add: OK, so by saying this "Unlike estimated payment, withholding doesn't have to be "timely."" you are saying that Dec w/h would apply to all other tax obligations in any quarter?

-ERD50
Yes. To my understanding est payments must be timely but not withholding..
Old 04-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I may be misunderstanding you, or the situation I'm describing is different from what you are covering - I was thinking in terms of having my entire tax obligation covered by just the RMD withholding.

IOW, I might have income from dividends (with no withholding) in all 4 quarters. In that case, if my only withholding was from the RMD in Dec, might I run afoul of IRS regs? My thinking was, spread it out evenly over the 4 quarters, and it would be close enough to actual income to stay in the guidelines?

I understand that I can do the RMD in Dec, and if I withhold a proper amount to cover taxes on the RMD, that's fine. But I thought that would not cover me for any additional taxes due in Q 1-3?

-ERD50
My understanding, yes. Which is why people favor it. We're not obligated to take RMDs yet, so haven't done this.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yes. To my understanding est payments must be timely but not withholding..
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My understanding, yes. Which is why people favor it. We're not obligated to take RMDs yet, so haven't done this.
Thanks, now I just need to file this away for ~ 9 years!

-ERD50
Old 04-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

We haven't started RMD's yet either, but it's on the immediate horizon (2017 and 2018) so we've been busy asking questions when opportunities arise.

Currently we make quarterly est tax payments to cover the taxes on investment income and my SS. Our tentative plan is not to make est tax payments beginning in 2017. In that year, I'll sit down in Nov and do a pro-forma on our taxes and determine how much to withhold from DW's RMD to cover taxes on the RMD itself and also SS and investment income. Then, pull the trigger on the RMD.

Schwab has confirmed we can tell them how much to withhold and they will do that exactly.