Join Early Retirement Today

Research Report: ER Can Kill Ya
Old 04-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

It's Friday and a quick review of the interwebs came up with this little gem from Oregon State University: Association of retirement age with mortality: a population-based longitudinal study among older adults in the USA -- Wu et al. -- Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health (Association of retirement age with mortality: a population-based longitudinal study among older adults in the USA)

The link is to the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health on-line article section that contains an abstract of the research report. You have to pay to download the entire paper.

Here is the conclusion at the bottom of the abstract: "Early retirement may be a risk factor for mortality and prolonged working life may provide survival benefits among US adults."

For more fun reading, here is a link to an article in yesterday's UK Daily Mail discussing the report: Researchers find those who work past 65 live longer | Daily Mail Online. As is typical, the comments are more interesting than the article.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I heard too much love can kill ya too.

Good thing that mercury gives eternal life. Well, according to Qin Shi Huang. And he was emperor.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
gone traveling

Didn't read as I find it ridiculous.
Don't drink coffee because you'll die. Years later they found out it's actually good to sip some coffee. Same goes for chocolate or eggs or whatever... now ER is being attacked. It sounds like it's being assumed that once you close the 9-to-5 door you just sit like a couch potato, eat chips, and stare at TV....uhhh
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To paraphrase an old joke, late retirees don't really live longer, it just seems like longer.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I told ya all in the other link on this subject from imoldernu (yesterday), that reading these articles and studies is making me mad. My anger at this nonsense is going to kill me!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmorton View Post
"Early retirement may be a risk factor for mortality and prolonged working life may provide survival benefits among US adults."
And in other news, pigs may fly.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never put much stock in these data mining correlation studies. Just too many ways for bias to creep into the work. This struck me as especially telling:

"None of the sociodemographic factors were found to modify the association of retirement age with all-cause mortality."

Really? Just working longer increased lifespan, no matter the kind of work, desk jobs, ditch digging, stressful work, supervisor work, etc, and nothing in retirement mattered? Those that just ate and watched TV or those that had a new lifestyle of helping others, traveling or anything? I just don't buy it. It does not make any sense.

Seems to me this is just another correlation study by some people who needed to write another paper. The effects of types of retirement, work stress, or really just lifestyle on longevity are important matters that should be examined. But from what I read in the abstract this paper seems to be a long way from it.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Obviously this study was paid for by a large low paying company that has a hard time finding new employees.
I'm going to quit ER and see if I can get a job...
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #9

Wasn't Thurston Howell III the oldest person on Gilligan's Island? (Drops the mic, and retires.)
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

The reason most people "retire" early is because their health has failed them, not because they're independently wealthy as most on this website are aiming for.
twd000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
gone traveling

Not to mention that some ER's reduce their activity level.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

They forgot to account for retirement dog years . . .

1 Yr ER > 7 Yrs Working

And other iterations . . .

2 Yrs ER > 1 Yr Working + 1 Yr Nursing Home
Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Maybe too much physical activity can kill you? Wink wink

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

As a Duck grad (U of O) papers that come out of Oregon State are... problematic.

Quack, quack.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:16 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The #1 predictor of death is life.

Quantity and quality aren't all that correlated either

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I had known that when I retired at 42. I guess at 69 I'm living on borrowed time. I'm actually thinking about going back to work so I can get some rest
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Holly cow batman I retired cause I thought the stress and work travel was killing me. My blood pressure and cholesterol numbers are now the best they have ever been, Oh ya no stress and was able to finally quit smoking those cigs. Oh ya finally have time to exercise. Oh ya bedroom activity is much better too. If that is going to kill me I am ok with that!
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is the conclusion at the bottom of the abstract: "Early retirement may be a risk factor for mortality and prolonged working life may provide survival benefits among US adults.
Or, perhaps some people simply choose to retire early if their health starts to fail.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

There is a Nat Geo documentary called Stress: Portrait of a Killer, and guess where the humans in the show got their stress from? Hint: It was not at the early bird matinee or the bocce ball court at the senior center.

Documentary here:

Stress: Portrait of a Killer - Top Documentary Films
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

"I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave"

Jimmy Cliff
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote