researching state municipal bond funds

shorttimer

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone know where I can figure out what bond funds are available in my state (NY)- I am looking to start along this path with non tax advantaged savings. I have searched on Fidelity, Morningstar and Vanguard sites but I don't seem to be able to find the info I am looking for.
This would be just a small portion of the total of our portfolio. We are always looking to diversify and are interested in low load, tax advantages and solid performance, not necessarily a shooting star type fund. I am not especially looking for specific funds, but how you go about researching yourself finding funds to compare. I do look at morningstar and lipper ratings however also realize that is historical data and not necessarily the way things will hold true as the economic situation changes.

Thanks.

did you try build a bond ladder in fidelity? i used it to put a ladder together and it automatically picked the bonds and everything

Hi Shorttimer!

I tend to be a sucker loyal investor. My longest held position is FNYTX. Probably owned it since 1980. I dropped the Vanguard version (VTXNY?) after ER'ing early in '05 when my tax bracket went down 10 or more points :D

Study says forget LT bonds. The thing has probably outlived its usefullness for my own situation, but I can't push the SELL button on that one yet. Call Franklin direct. Someone there can answer your question.

Shortimer, check your PM, I will run a search for all of the NY funds for you

if you want me to run a ladder for you let me know how far out

For anyone interested in this, my standby tool is ETFConnect: Under find a fund choose municipal...state..select your state....hit search...I personally avoid leverage...and I favor Nuveen for muni National or state....I also try to get those with decent daily volume and always buy at a limit price below the current bid...and when selling do so at a limit price above the ask.....good luck

http://www.etfconnect.com/select/FindAFund.aspx

Thank you so much for all your answers. I have enjoyed a beautiful weekend outside and now will spend time researching all the possibilities presented. thanks.

Ladders are not always what they're cracked up to be............sometimes you get hit hard in a volatile cycle.

Find a low cost muni bond fund with duration under 4.0 for now........:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom