Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't need the money, since you are nearly 50% more than you need, where do you stop and how do you determine? Is double what you need enough? 10 times? You get the point & you need to detemine when you are comfortable. 3 months is not a long time, but what happens after that? Would you always say yes to more work?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My thoughts exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You are the only one who can answer the question of whether the additional money is worth shortening the non-working time prior to your death delaying retirement by three months.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I am right there too; still in the OMY trap. I have tried to resign several times over the last two years but keep being countered with yet another offer that I cannot refuse.

Upside is continued padding of my retirement account and collaborating with some very intelligent folks; downside is that I cannot help be get very wrapped up, emotionally invested, etc.
I "wimped out" as well, and not for the money. We had a surprise buyout offer last year and my application was denied, probably partly my fault because I wasn't sure what I wanted at that time. I did figure it out, and after I was unable to convince my management to change their mind, I decided it wouldn't stop me so I resigned. They offered a transition deal which I accepted in order to do a proper handoff to my teammates. My managers and colleagues have been good to me over the years so I feel I owe it to them, and the terms suggested to me that they believe that this step is necessary.

For me, even if a follow-on is in the works, the only offer I'll contemplate at the end of this would be another buyout, in which case I would think (hope?) they have no basis to hold me back next time.

Same upsides, but I don't see getting emotionally wrapped up in work as a downside-- rather the opposite.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Thoughts? You have nothing to lose. You are firecalc certified 100% ready to RE. If they want to pay you very well to stay for a little while, do it; but always know that you decide if you want to stay or go.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Not missing work

Don't quite have the assets you have, but I am now a month into 'retirement' but still working part-time remotely. I am supposed to be working at least 20 hours, but I'm finding it difficult to manage that as doing nothing is taking up most of my time. I thought I would have a difficult time adjusting, instead, I'm having a difficult time 'holding' on to work. It is nice to have the luxury of adjustment, so take that, then see where you are at. Time flies when you don't miss work. I never thought there would be so much pleasure in going to bed when you want to and waking up whenever.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

** What could possibly go wrong?**

If you absolutely hold their feet to the fire re non standard hours, and no BS, see how it goes. Make it clear: give me "BS" and I walk on the spot. Period.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
anal glaucoma
Hmmmm...I always called it rectal glaucoma.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like fate has handed you a very enviable position to be in - congrats!

I made myself a promise a few years after I entered the corporate world...as an employee, I would never accept a counter. And as a manager, I'd never extend one. I fully believe that any reason I, or an employee, had to leave in the first place isn't solved with a counter. In my own case, even if I left for more money and the counter was for more money, I wouldn't stay because it had more to do with not being recognized and rewarded at an appropriate time. In other words, I shouldn't have to threaten to quit to be paid what I think I'm worth.

But that's from the standpoint of "I need a j*b". It sounds like you don't, so take this as three months of additional effort for some easy cash.

Don't fall into a trap of continued servitude, however, no matter how much they offer. Diminishing returns, and all that. At some point, the money's not worth it, and you want to get on with your financial freedom and start enjoying retirement and life. Good luck!