Join Early Retirement Today

Rethinking SS
Old 10-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Rethinking SS

I was wondering with the markets tanking if anybody is changing their opinions on when they are taking SS . I am currently leaning toward 62 rather than waiting till 66. Anybody else ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was wondering with the markets tanking if anybody is changing their opinions on when they are taking SS . I am currently leaning toward 62 rather than waiting till 66. Anybody else ?
I am going to start looking at this myself. I am alrady past FRA, but was planning to wait until 70. Might take it now, and refile later if things have changed markedly.

ha
Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

if it's still there and giving me anything close at 62 to what they claim I'll get now, I'll be doing cartwheels.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm sending in my application tomorrow (seriously) to begin taking SS at age 62. I had planned on waiting until I could draw full benefits at age 66 with the understanding that I'd pull the trigger sooner if the market went South. It crossed the equator today...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just curious about your considering age 62 withdrawals: Is it due to cash flow issues now (related to the market)?

If not, what is the advantage of opting to collect at 62? Isn't the increase in benefits for leaving it in something like 7% bump per year, and this in a market that's down 20%+?

Barring total system implosion it seems you'd benefit more by dipping into your cash now so as to increase your payments 5 years down the road.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Glenn Beck was talking about SS on his radio show yesterday. He said SS is the next system to fall and the politicians are in denial. He was ahead of the curve on the oil and financial fiascos. So, if you qualify today - you may want to go for it!
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Glenn Beck was talking about SS on his radio show yesterday. He said SS is the next system to fall and the politicians are in denial. He was ahead of the curve on the oil and financial fiascos. So, if you qualify today - you may want to go for it!
Interesting. Last time I checked, Medicare was in much worse financial shape. The one thing that would really devastate SS -- and push its solvency date forward a few years -- is prolonged high unemployment.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Prior to August 2005, I was 9 ft tall, bullet proof and planned on living forever.

Then along came Katrina.

I applied for early SS in October 2005.

heh heh heh - it ain't only wide receiver's that sometimes hear footsteps!
. I could get a grip and run some numbers - but meanwhile I'm taking the money and rationalizing not getting any younger. 70 1/2 in 2014.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Interesting. Last time I checked, Medicare was in much worse financial shape. The one thing that would really devastate SS -- and push its solvency date forward a few years -- is prolonged high unemployment.
My reading tells me the same thing. Probably age of full retirement or income subject to ss withholdings will have to rise, but unlikely the system will disappear.

Medicare - a whole different story, and one reason why I am not planning on a decrease in health insurance cost at age 65

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All the discussions on this board about when to take SS really perked my interest. But, no matter how I tried to evaluate the numbers, there continued to be assumptions to be made and personal circumstances to be considered that left the final answer somewhat in limbo.

I decided I'd just wait and see how things were looking for DW and I from both health and financial POV's. Today, I'm less than a year from early SS at 62. Health, knock of wood, seems OK which would leave the door open for delaying SS. Financial circumstances, however, indicate the $18k or so annual SS payment would be more than handy in stretching out cash reserves in this market.

Note: married couple here but DW not eligible to collect any of my SS due to the GPO provision.

Unless the unlikely scenario of a rapid market turn-around in the markets occurs by next summer, it's SS at 62 for me........

This isn't really a "rethink." It's just that "my time has come" (gulp) and it's time to look at current conditions and make a decision. I suspect that if the market was flying high and I was busy harvesting profits and holding a lot of cash, I'd probably delay.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

"You should take it when you need it" is the best advice I ever heard among all the scenerios and number crunching.

You can suspend, or pay back and re-apply if you turn out to not need it -

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be 60 soon, DW will be 59. I plan to retire soon. She will qualify for the min. on her record. I simply see it as the last card we have to play. Our plan: take hers on her record at 62, hold off taking mine until we absolutely need it, then convert her to spousal benefit. They even give you a Mulligan. All this could change in the future, just like anything else, if so we will re-figure.
mike hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post

I don't think being a 1/2 hour ahead makes you ahead of the curve. I watch Glenn Beck too, and as I remember it he's been right in there with all the other MSM as far as jumping on these issues. He's a talking head, not an analyst. I'd probably (gulp!) believe Jim Cramer before Beck on financial issues.

Now, he is claiming to have been ahead of the curve, but there are also 6-7 million people who claim to have been at Woodstock.

As far as SS, I see no problem with starting it early. If you don't need it for cash flow, especially. Just DCA it directly into the market. Then in 8-10 years you can pay it back from the killing you made in the after-recession run-up, and get the increased payout. Of course you won't need it then, having done so well buying when everyone else was digging bomb shelters.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been giving this some thought also. We have a 2 to 3 years cash until we would have to take any type of distribution from investments or start SS. So for us it will depend on how quick the market recovers. However, if this is as good of an investing opportunity as I think it is, I may reconsider.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #15

DH became eligible for SS when he turned 62 two weeks ago, but plans to delay taking his benefits until 66 unless his business tanks in the near term....

I plan to apply for SS when I turn 62 to replace the "temporary" bridge portion of my pension that will go away at that time. I'm hoping that SS is still around then......
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Just curious about your considering age 62 withdrawals: Is it due to cash flow issues now (related to the market)?

For two reasons one I'm single so no survivor to worry about and second since I do a straight 4% my cash flow will be less and even though I do not use all of it I like it available now while I'm younger and can still travel .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
I spent last year thinking about it and the result was to withdraw my age 62 application (2002), repay benefits and wait until age 70. However, now that I have done that I have read in a few places that for some reason age 69 is the best age if you have a spouse whose benefits are considerably lower that yours. I plan to look that over and may decide to apply for benefits at age 69 (Oct 2009). The difference in benefits is considerable and if DW outlives me by 3 to 5 years it will be to her benefit.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I spent last year thinking about it and the result was to withdraw my age 62 application (2002), repay benefits and wait until age 70. However, now that I have done that I have read in a few places that for some reason age 69 is the best age if you have a spouse whose benefits are considerably lower that yours. I plan to look that over and may decide to apply for benefits at age 69 (Oct 2009). The difference in benefits is considerable and if DW outlives me by 3 to 5 years it will be to her benefit.
Could you give a link to that? I suppose the reasoning may also apply to singles.

Ha
Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could you give a link to that? I suppose the reasoning may also apply to singles.

Ha
Ha: I will when I find one again. At the time I first saw it I just passed it over. But it got stuck in my mind - and got me to thinking about it. I am not sure it is true yet but I have calculated the increases, buy month, for the next two years. I need to work on a Excel SS to see. I suspect it will be one of those "it depends" since age of DW versus mine along with family history will play role. Remember, with married couples the rate is 150% of the higher earners benefit.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Nope just another bump in the road of life.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote