Join Early Retirement Today

Retire at 40
Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retire at 40

BBC - Capital - Yes, you can retire before your 40th birthday

A BBC article, which pretty much agrees with this forum. LBYM, be debt-free, have 25 times your expenses, 4% withdrawal. Wish this article had been available when I was 40. The BBC page has several other retirement links, such as "retiring in paradise" , or "retirement myths" if you're interested.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would add, before taking the leap, develop a plan to keep mind and body moving.
Pharmmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Annoyingly, I can't access the article from the UK.
Is there any way of posting salient points or is that against forum policy?
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by collingwood View Post
Is there any way of posting salient points or is that against forum policy?
A paragraph or two is fine but where we run into difficulty is when someone copies and pastes an entire article. The issue isn't forum policy but copyright law.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Many thanks Walt. I thought that might be a problem. I guess it probably doesn't say much that I haven't worked out myself ;-)
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The article was interesting, but there wasn't anything in it that people here don't already know. It references Pete at Mr. Money Mustache as well as Darrow Kirkpatrick at CanIRetireYet.com.

I thought this bit was interesting.

Don’t forget about family. If you have a spreadsheet of expected retirement expenses, make sure family expenses are included. “I remind people that grandchildren and children take a lot of retirees’ money,” Hogan said. “I have told clients, ‘You need to stop giving the kids money because you can’t afford it.’”
WannabeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired at 40 and it only lasted 5 years. Did everything on the bucket list and then got bored and got another job. The extra money and another retirement check was a smart move. I probably was a little underfunded besides and you never have to much money.
lynxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Seems a little bit like over kill. It seems like you'd either have to spend your entire life living pretty low below your means or spend 30 years having no life outside of work. If you did the later, I'm not even sure what you'd do after retirement. Retiring before you need to honestly just sounds boring to me anyways though. But, it would be nice to make enough money to support working a job with lower income, but that's fun. I know a lot of older retired people become school teachers, just because they're bored and I completely understand that. To each his own I guess.
LendingWire is offline   Reply With Quote