Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't have any figures right now but I would guess that I spend about $200/year on all of my clothes (including underwear, dressy, gym clothes, shoes, etc).
Just did the computations, and last year I averaged $35/month on clothes. That is about twice what I guessed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just did the computations, and last year I averaged $35/month on clothes. That is about twice what I guessed.
Pulling up a Quicken report, I see we budgeted $577 year-to-date on clothing, and our actual (so far) is $368.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Pulling up a Quicken report, I see we budgeted $577 year-to-date on clothing, and our actual (so far) is $368.
That's really good! I spent $418 in the year from Nov 21 '07 to Nov 20 '08. There's only one of me, so I have no excuse.

Actually I do have one LITTLE excuse - - the fact that half of what I spent was on a one day shopping binge right after I got the first distribution from my mother's estate. I don't expect to keep that up permanently.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's really good! I spent $418 in the year from Nov 21 '07 to Nov 20 '08. There's only one of me, so I have no excuse.

Actually I do have one LITTLE excuse - - the fact that half of what I spent was on a one day shopping binge right after I got the first distribution from my mother's estate. I don't expect to keep that up permanently.
I actually wish we were way over budget in clothing... because that would mean my wife would have been putting together a wardrobe for a new job...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #245
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually wish we were way over budget in clothing... because that would mean my wife would have been putting together a wardrobe for a new job... :P
Or stepping out on you...
Old 12-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #246
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I actually wish we were way over budget in clothing... because that would mean my wife would have been putting together a wardrobe for a new job...
But usually one gets the job FIRST, then puts together an appropriate wardrobe. Or so I recall. Best of luck to her in her job search.

I won't even dignify REWahoo's response with a response!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But usually one gets the job FIRST, then puts together an appropriate wardrobe. Or so I recall. Best of luck to her in her job search.
Yeah, that's what I mean -- if we were a few hundred bucks over, it would mean that she already got the job that necessitated the new duds. It hasn't happened yet, so she doesn't get her shopping spree yet...
Old 12-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #248
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm embarrassed to put down what I spend. You all are so dang frugal.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #249
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I'm embarrassed to put down what I spend. You all are so dang frugal.

Don't be embarrassed I'll go first . My name is Moe and I spend over a thousand dollars a year on clothes . I'm addicted to looking nice. It started simply by just browsing JJill web site and next thing I knew I was hooked .I had to have that slightly funky yet urban look . I searched for cheaper versions but I kept on coming back . I was hooked and JJill had me . I wanted it all . The casual outfits , the co-ordinated separates , the fun dresses and the espardilles . I had to have the espadrille's . There was nothing I could do but come here and fess up I have a problem .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Don't be embarrassed I'll go first . My name is Moe and I spend over a thousand dollars a year on clothes . I'm addicted to looking nice. It started simply by just browsing JJill web site and next thing I knew I was hooked .I had to have that slightly funky yet urban look . I searched for cheaper versions but I kept on coming back . I was hooked and JJill had me . I wanted it all . The casual outfits , the co-ordinated separates , the fun dresses and the espardilles . I had to have the espadrille's . There was nothing I could do but come here and fess up I have a problem .
If you can easily afford it, it's not a problem.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I could eat very cheaply on beans and rice and recipes using them. The problem is that my wife doesn't like beans. I suppose I could make something for myself, but beans and rice don't freeze all that well -- and if I made something only for myself, it would need to be something I could put into single-serving sized bags and freeze.
I make big batches of black beans and lima beans and freeze them with no issues. It makes putting together quick meals easy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Isn't that what David Lee Roth said about drugs?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Isn't that what David Lee Roth said about drugs?
Heh. If you can easily afford it with realistic expectations about future income...
Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #254
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Great so I can drop out of CA . I told them I had no idea who Jimmy Cho was and I swore I never owned a bag that cost more than $50.00 .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I make big batches of black beans and lima beans and freeze them with no issues. It makes putting together quick meals easy.
Martha,

Recipe, pleeze

tmm
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #256

Quote:
I could eat very cheaply on beans and rice and recipes using them. The problem is that my wife doesn't like beans. I suppose I could make something for myself, but beans and rice don't freeze all that well -- and if I made something only for myself, it would need to be something I could put into single-serving sized bags and freeze.
I've never had a problem with beans and rice freezing well. For example, you can make up a huge batch of chili and freeze it in small containers. For rice, freeze it in 1 cup portions; it defrosts rather nicely, and I don't notice a huge difference in the quality/taste.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #257

Quote:
It's a nice problem to have. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good if it makes you feel good.

We spent about $2000 this year and more in previous years. We can afford it so we spent it.

I cannot see how one person spend $5 per month on clothes :confused:
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
On days I work I make a frozen pizza at about 2:30pm. I eat 6 pieces and put the other 2 in my lunch bag for work. At approx. 11pm I have "lunch" at work. I have my other 2 pieces of pizza along with a cup of easy mac. I also have a bag of doritos and a pack of nutty bars both of which I by in bulk at low prices. Sometimes i'll take a short snack break around 3am and have another pack of nutty bars. When I get home at 5:30am I have two packets of instant oatmeal, check my e-mail, then go to bed.
On my days off it varies a little more but I often have pizza then too. I have dinte mores beef stew and campbells chunk chicken with vegtable soup instead of easy mac and doritos. I'll often snack on cookies throughout the day. Sometimes i'll eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon as a snack(cheap and high protein).

As for fun, I don't do much. Surf the net, read, watch tv online. Once every couple months i'll go out to the clubs with friends. Once a month or two i'll go to movies with my brother. I usually prefer to be by myself just relaxing trying to rest to get ready for my next 12 hr shift of manual labor.
Arronc, you make me look like an Saudi prince on a debauchery tour through the land of the infidels. Disclaimer: no disrespect to anyone of Middle Eastern origin, but I do hear that the Saudi princes do live it up.

Except for the bit about eating beef stew, I think you could do a few months in Shaolin Temple without breaking a sweat, and that's a compliment.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The other way to look at it would be that you are a normal woman.

ha
Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #260
Confused about dryer sheets

3K a month between two is very little. for one person is good though
jkallend is offline   Reply With Quote