Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could subsist on $3,000 a month(one person) but it would be "good-bye" travel, subscriptions to the symphony, theater, and speakers series, buying whatever I want at the grocery/wine store/bookstore, new duds, health club, gifts, donations to charity, hairdresser at Elizabeth Arden, cable TV, gardener, etc. I would also likely have to sell one of my two paid-for houses and one of my two cars to reduce my tax, upkeep and insurance burden. But I could do it if I had to, and I would survive I am quite certain.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #282
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent under 24K last year, but my health insurance is covered by my j*b.

That's the wild card for everyone.

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
I spent under 24K last year, but my health insurance is covered by my j*b.

That's the wild card for everyone.

ta,
mew
My lawyer is about 50 as is his wife. He has one child who is still his dependent. No health issues. He gets coverage through his firm, for $12,000/year. They recently got a 20% increase, which they will handle by going to a less inclusive policy.

I am 68 and single, and pay roughly $5000/yr for Medicare and Medigap. The Medigap increases every year, though just for cost increases, as it is not age rated.

So I would agree, health insurance is huge. My main budget categories, other than income tax which is quite variable, are rent, health insurance, groceries and car if I do full accounting for replacement cost. Even once you get to Medicare, it is far from an unimportant cost.

Ha
Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'd also have to have a talk with DW about her paper towel habit.
....paper towels and toilet paper...DH rolls his eyes when I bring them in. He swears we need to buy a bigger house to store them...

My budget for this year is $40k. The total for our expenses so far for the year is $23.5k. No mortgage and retiree medical insurance keeps our costs down.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #285
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
....paper towels and toilet paper...DH rolls his eyes when I bring them in.
Yep. I keep telling DW her spending on that stuff is gonna wipe us out...
Old 08-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #286
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If I brought that up with my wife I'd end up having a crappy day
schmidtjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #287
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I could subsist on $3,000 a month(one person) but it would be "good-bye" travel, subscriptions to the symphony, theater, and speakers series, buying whatever I want at the grocery/wine store/bookstore, new duds, health club, gifts, donations to charity, hairdresser at Elizabeth Arden, cable TV, gardener, etc. I would also likely have to sell one of my two paid-for houses and one of my two cars to reduce my tax, upkeep and insurance burden. But I could do it if I had to, and I would survive I am quite certain.
I am planning to work up to spending $3,000/month in ER though I spend nowhere near that much right now. I buy whatever I want at the grocery store, belong to a gym, have cable TV and I have someone to mow. But you're right - - the rest of that I don't have. It's one car and one house, for me. If I want the things you have listed, I am not yet aware of that. Maybe once I start spending more, I will wonder how I could have lived on less!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #288
gone traveling

Quote:
on a roll, aren't you?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #289
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I find myself having more $1000 months. Crap, I'm not spending enough to trigger credit card rewards.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #290
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I find myself having more $1000 months. Crap, I'm not spending enough to trigger credit card rewards.
You can pay my A/C repair bill. No reason to send me a 'Thanks", happy to help you out...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #291
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You can pay my A/C repair bill. No reason to send me a 'Thanks", happy to help you out...
You do know that is going to cost you a $$$$FORTUNE$$$$, right? But it sounds like you have no choice. You can't very well live in your RV until the weather cools down.

If you think it's hot at 106 in your back yard, imagine how hot it is in your attic where your A/C repairman is working. It must be at least 120 up there. I can't imagine going to work in that kind of temperature, day after day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #292

I blame a lot of my tastes and expenses on my LH. He left me with champagne tastes and a beer pocketbook. O.K. Make it a micro-brew pocketbook. Just kidding, he was a great guy. Hard to give some things up. Especially the Pittsburgh symphony and the Broadway series with really good seats. I kept the same two seats but I invite a guest. Took us years to get them in that exact location. And I can't cut off appeals from the animal shelter and the library and my church. I could scream sometimes about the house in FL but it will be sold in due course. It's a good thing the kid is self-sufficient...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #293
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I blame a lot of my tastes and expenses on my LH. He left me with champagne tastes and a beer pocketbook. O.K. Make it a micro-brew pocketbook. Just kidding, he was a great guy. ..

If you enjoy the life style and can afford it , go for it . We have both seen that you need to live life when you have a chance . Besides we are saving our adult children from difficult decisions . Should they buy the jaguar or the Lamborghini ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you enjoy the life style and can afford it , go for it . We have both seen that you need to live life when you have a chance . Besides we are saving our adult children from difficult decisions . Should they buy the jaguar or the Lamborghini ?
In all reality we could pull the plug now. However, we prefer a higher standard of living. Another year or two should be enough. Nope this isn't the one more year syndrome. Still on track for an early retirement. Long as DW still loves her job. Though I can tell she isn't thinking much about work anymore on vacations
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Thanks. My son is totally unlike his Dad(or me I guess). Very geeky and parsimonious(read: cheap). He only spends money on books and computer junk. I guess you have a good idea of what surgeons are like, Moe. A bit of the showboat in all of them. I would be sitting around with six cars if I hadn't downsized a bit.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
....paper towels and toilet paper...DH rolls his eyes when I bring them in. He swears we need to buy a bigger house to store them...
That was the biggest surprise when we got married. The TP kept running out. When single, I'd buy a four-pack and that would last a couple of weeks. That much was gone in a couple of days when she moved in. I've never asked what happens to it. Some things I think it's just better not to know.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That was the biggest surprise when we got married. The TP kept running out. When single, I'd buy a four-pack and that would last a couple of weeks. That much was gone in a couple of days when she moved in. I've never asked what happens to it. Some things I think it's just better not to know.
Not easy to just shake it ya know.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #298
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am 68 and single, and pay roughly $5000/yr for Medicare and Medigap. The Medigap increases every year, though just for cost increases, as it is not age rated.
Wow. I had no idea that Medicare was so costly. Is that typical?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I spend right around $6K per month, but about 2/3 of that is direct kid expenses and mortgage interest, so with a paid off house and the kids grown, I think I can live comfortably on $2K per month.

2Cor521
Hmm. I wonder what drug I was on when I wrote that.

Current numbers are about $3700 per month, with about 80% spent on kids, taxes, and mortgage interest. So I actually am living on about $700 per month aside from those 3 things.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:54 AM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Current numbers are about $3700 per month, with about 80% spent on kids, taxes, and mortgage interest. So I actually am living on about $700 per month aside from those 3 things.
Living on $700/month? You're on drugs
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote