Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
But, but, but Khan, your heating bill?

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #322
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but Khan, your heating bill?
Level billing for gas: $113/mo
(heat, hot water, stove)

"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #323
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, the talk of the teardrop trailer in a previous post in another thread was serious and not a joke. You are waiting for the kids to grow up and on their own, aren't you? For a single guy, it's not a bad way to spend some years of your life.
Yup to both questions.

@rec7, actually $700 is about 20% of what I spend, so the total monthly tab with everything runs about $3500 ($700/0.2). The food bill is just a combination of a lot of different things: I just feed me and my three kids about a third of the time, so figure 2 people equivalent. I shop at Winco. I make a list. I buy generic everything nearly. I shop on unit price. I buy as little prepared food as possible. The one thing I don't do really is coupons.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #324
Dryer sheet aficionado
I think we live on $2500/month. I am tracking it more closely now that I have more time. Is Quicken best for this?
That's $2000/month in routine expenses (insurance, food, utilities ...) and $500/month for discretionary (RV trips) & hard-to-predict (car repair).
walleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #325
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
.............and John, if I might?

Anyone who would listen to Rush Limbaugh is a freakin' idiot!
well, he is named "John Galt".
stoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets
Live in Wi. as well..
Not sure were you live, but Prices ain't come down around here..
Just housing prices, but everything else? UP!
and eventually, you're either going to have to pay $30-$40k for a Car or buy a 1-2 yr old used one for $20k to replace your current one when it gets 100K+ or 10 yrs old..the repairs on our older cars is going nuts as well.. $1,000 for a Set of Brakes that used to cost me a couple of Hundred to do it myself or $500 for them Struts they replaced Good Old Shocks we got for $50 a pair for.. and who says we need 17" Wheels and $150 ea. Tires! Boy, is that a Con game! Give me good old 15" wheels and $50 tires and we did fine..! and it cost more to Fix my 8 yr old. John Deer than it did to buy a yr old one...

4% WDR is nice IF you have 125% or More than it says you need. I used a 3% WDR and set a goal to have an extra 25% more in it than all the fancy books/programs said .. and thus need it to make at least 6% apy if not more..
and not going to get that from just Ylds/Divs.. from conservative investments..consistantly.. and that John Boggle guy was right..

a 30/70- 20/80 mix port is good enough for us..

We used VWINX, A Global and a EMD Bond Fund and TGLMX..
So far? it's been Super..beyond expectations.. Rode out 08' pretty good and expect things will get back to normal again soon....
just wish Vanguard would add some Global and EMD bond Funds ..and spruce up their VFIIX fund ..
and Let the Wife Working PT.. so she wouldn't bug me all the time to go travel all the time.. She agreed and she's happier and can spend her $ anyway she wants.. on the Grandkids or whatever ... Now, we're at the Fair everday selling her and her GF's Stuff at a I get the benefits of all that Good Food..!

Here's Hoping Packers beat Minn/Vikings and Farve..

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #327
Dryer sheet aficionado
For me, 3/k a month is more that do-able.

atlas888 is offline   Reply With Quote