Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
I tried the part time withdrawal from work. Went to 4 days then 3 days but it has nothing to do with the change when you are truly done! You still read emails, are on the hook to make decisions and worry. I worried all the time about what was happening so while I went in less days I didnít feel any less connected just more stressed.

30/35 some years of struggling to wake up in the dark to be at work by 7 or before. In my field we started early. I knew I was done when I could wake up at 5, roll over and snuggle my wife and go back to sleep for a few hours. Then my head was clear to plan and organize things for us and do things I wanted to do without work worries slipping in..
I almost did this too, but it quickly became apparent that it was going to be what you describe -- and that I'd still be expected to put in more than my set hours, thus defeating the purpose. I think phased retirements look better on paper than in reality.

Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
I almost did this too, but it quickly became apparent that it was going to be what you describe -- and that I'd still be expected to put in more than my set hours, thus defeating the purpose. I think phased retirements look better on paper than in reality.
Depends on the situation.

I used to teach online classes at several colleges simultaneously. For my phased retirement I just reduced the number of colleges I was working for and only work for one of them today. My phased retirement is successful because I was actually able to reduce both the actual workload and everything else that was expected of me from my job(s).

For folks with one employer, trying to cut back to a reduced schedule might be much more difficult as you described.

Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYbob View Post
I'm at the verge of retiring - maybe by year end. My financials are fine - every model I run gives me confidence.

But I could stay at my job and make more money and preserve my retirement funds, and grow them more.

What things do you think of when it is time to make the decision? I don't really love my job, it is ok at best. But it pays well and it is not too stressful. And I'm worried that the fun of retirement will wear off in a few months.

I'd like to get some input on how people decide to give up certain income vs time to do whatever you want.

I understand! We are right behind you with DW walking away in April (66) and myself July just before my 60th birthday. The goal was to retire at 55; however, life happens.
Being retired military medical is not the issue and we have a good Guaranteed Gov pensions, disability, and SS, and 1MM in investments and cash. I guess I had the same feeling of "what to do next"? Although, after reading on this Blog for sometime now, most seem to be more busy in retirement than actually working lol.
Looking forward to it :-)

Good luck to you
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:39 AM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
This is so true. I sometimes think wow I could go back and make x. But then I quickly realize screw that!
Love it.....my thoughts exactly!
geerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:18 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

I know many people who upon deciding to retire were offered great opportunities elsewhere, had several myself. I also mostly loved what I did and couldn’t imagine not doing it. Used to say that I would have done my job for 1/2 the money.

But that was before retirement and rebuilding my life. Can safely say this “retirement” is so much better than I could have imagined and 2x better than my best day at work and 10x better than most of them! And remember I loved my job!

If retirement is just going to be one long day off from work, then you shouldn’t necessarily retire. If it is going to be a new life, new outlook, new stage I heartily recommend it.
Retired Expat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
bird in the hand bro - how much is a year of your life worth?
+1. And what would another year of working do for your lifestyle?

At 50, I was FI, but decided to w$rk another 3-4 years to double the travel budget, and perhaps buy a better house, rather than a condo. I'm glad I did, but at 53 3/4, I'm nearly at the end of what I'm willing to do for $.

I'm thinking that my ability to scuba dive and travel will be at their peak for me for the next 5-6 years, at a maximum. Giving those up 'best remaining dive/travel years' are not worth any extra $ to me, even if it means living in a condo, rather than a fancy house.