Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Anyone else think we are being OAPed?
It's pretty obvious when his entire life story is nothing more than a satire of this forum . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtooearly View Post
I am the type that is antisocial. Really don't have much friends. Don't go out much. Don't have fancy things. All I know is how to save. I do enjoy shopping at the supermarket. I am happy when I see that I could get $500 in groceries for around $50 bucks each month with coupons clippings and deals, but I am not going to the supermarket everyday!
Quote:
Well I post here because I have nothing else to do at home. I am just finding myself surfing the web all day long
Quote:
No kids here. Not looking to have them. They are just a burden. I have 3 investment properties. They are all paid for.

Quote:
Why are people jealous when you can retire early and they can't.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I vote Troll.

A. Expenses don't add up
B. Investments don't add up -
C. This was done on salary - does not add up
D. This was done through two bubbles, one real estate which he claims is his source of income.
E. To get $36,000 a year in income you have to have almost $1,000,000 in assets (4% SWR), but he is 'not wealthy'
F. Three paid off investment properties, and a house from a 15 year old's salary and part time college job.
G. Student loans paid off
H. While I have heard many reasons not to have kids, "they are a burden' is seldom used. But, hay, I am not a '30 year old gay guy'
I. Several glaring grammatical errors that don't look like typos, and are wrong case and tense for use by a 'College Graduate' (this one is a little more plausible for me, as I too don't proof read all my post)
J. It just sounds like a kid calling and saying "Do you have Prince Albert in a Can"

Interesting Gvilager, who is in the same boat, also has less than 10 post. Might check those IP addresses.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Didn't answer my question either--was he bored at work?
I shared that with the Mods 5 minutes ago. Good possibility.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

This could be my cousin, except well, she is a she, and she is still working.

She bought a new car with cash when she turned 16. She had never spent a penny of her birthday, Christmas or Babysitting money. She went to college paid for by her parents, got a masters, got a job and inherited a couple of houses so she has a steady income and rental income. Since she never spent any money that wasn't absolutely necessary she had paid off her own condo but the age of 30. She buys all her clothes at Goodwill and keeps her condo way too cold in the winter, too warm in the summer. Being a middle condo, I am guessing that her power bill is practically non-existent. I have gone shopping with her and she would go to 3 or 4 grocery stores using coupons and sales ads and when done might have spent a few dollars. (frankly it is amazing and if I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it) It can't imagine how many hours she must spend each week planning her shopping trips but she must enjoy it on some level.

I am certain that she has a 7-figure net worth by now. She is now 39 or maybe 40? and still drives the car she bought at 16. She works only a mile or so from the office she has worked at since she was 24 and walks to work unless it is raining. She steals wifi internet from her neighbor, uses skype for a phone and won't go on a vacation or even a movie. She likes to tell anyone who will listen that she lives on less than $250 per month. Personally, I don't think she is "living" but whatever....

Is he a troll? possibly, but yes living on $500 is do-able.
The only think I wonder about with retiredtoearly is health insurance. But, if healthy, at the age of 30 he might have a very high deductible plan which might cost him $50-$60 month.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
TI don't think she is "living" but whatever....
There is a point where frugal becomes pathological.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What is "OAPed." All I can think of is Old Age Pensioner - but I don't remember anything egregious he did.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
It's pretty obvious when his entire life story is nothing more than a satire of this forum . . .
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Troll ?

Ditto to below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Then go find a cube farm to slave away in and STFU about it.
People on this board pursue ER to "thrive" not just "survive".

If you do not have a reason to jump out of bed each morning and aggressively enjoy life - then you need to go back to w*rk.

Millions of people need w*rk as their reason for getting out of bed and existing. Sad situation, if you ask me...........
Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
...but I don't remember anything egregious he did.
Yep, memory is the first thing to go.

The forum's most persistent and prolific troll...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
People on this board pursue ER to "thrive" not just "survive".

If you do not have a reason to jump out of bed each morning and aggressively enjoy life - then you need to go back to w*rk.
Completely agree.

A sucessful reirement is not for wussies. It takes a real man (or woman ) to lay out and execute a plan of what they want to do with the freedom a retiree has.

I won't post another troll picture (for the OP), but I do have a bunch ...
Old 07-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #71

Quote:
I searched for OAP and read some his quirky and engaging posts, but missed any dènouement. Is there a good story here that we short-timers missed?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I searched for OAP and read some his quirky and engaging posts, but missed any dènouement. Is there a good story here that we short-timers missed?
I can only say what I knew before I became a mod. My assessment at that time was that he had been banned but often returned under fake personas and started troll-ish threads.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly, if his budget is ignoring property taxes, etc (which because he's looking at his home as part of his property investment it seems, isn't really in the $500), with $50 for food, $500 isn't unreasonable. I have about a $30-50 a month electrical bill, and with some HD insurance, it's pretty reasonable. I kind of don't care if he's a troll or not, as I find the thought/problem games interesting the first few times, and it's a particular formulation that I haven't played before. I'm not going to date him, so unless/until continuity is broken, I don't care if he's real.

That said, more ideas for the particular situation:

You enjoy shopping - very cool. Look online for Meetup or something similar, and look at planning a "frugal dinner" or something similar - everyone needs to bring up to $20 worth of food to contribute (make them bring receipts) and as a whole plan and make a multi-course dinner. People get competitive over getting good deals (and let me tell you, you'll probably win, which makes you look good), there is a lot of creativity involved in planning the menu and cooking it, it's a great excuse for interaction, and at least a couple of people will bring good cheap drinks to contribute, so you're not wasting money on booze, and they don't have to spend the time and learning curve to do the sort of creative/coupon shopping you manage to do. Heck - you have multiple rental buildings, so you must have at least a couple of vacant units - be the host! if they are materialistic, at least they will be impressed with your building, if not your clothes, and playing host puts you on a pedestal as well. much easier to find someone when they are trying to catch you.

find some local artists, and set up guerrilla galleries in vacant units you have - one weekend only shows in vacant units, word of mouth only. meet interesting, creative people, heavily biased to gay men, again play host, no cash cost to you, exclusive event where it costs you no cash but makes you look/be generous with something that has limited marginal cost to you, and you might enjoy the art! heck, some of the artists might barter some interesting art work for a limited showing sometime - good way to acquire things that you like. Also, artists are very used to living broke, and can appreciate frugality, but are likely to be able to help you be frugal and "hip" opr fashionable. If you are looking to attract gay men cheaply, you need to be put together, throwing money at it helps, but doing it cheaply and fashionably is better in some circles.

take up online video games - major time sink, some socialization at keyboard remove. probably not going to get you a date though.

write a book! you've managed to accomplish something that a lot of people would kill for. some people might pay for you to tell them your story, whether to copy it or to inspire them, or someone already on that path to convince them that they are not insane. Someone asks what you do, you can tell them you're an author and a arts sponsor. (via having the gallery stuff) that ought to get some attention.

As I said - I don't care it it's a troll, because games are fun. If the OP isn't a troll, hopefully we can help him. Anyone else have good ideas? Rules seem to be: aversion to spending money, semi-social personality with some issues about being judged on a materialistic basis, gay single male, 30, time to spend, reasonably educated, probably enjoys problem solving (coupon shopping "game" success level), and reasonably intelligent.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #74

Quote:
I seriously dont' know what I enjoy doing. No hobbies at all. Volunteer work, why work for free ? I am the type that is antisocial. Really don't have much friends. Don't go out much. Don't have fancy things. All I know is how to save. I do enjoy shopping at the supermarket. I am happy when I see that I could get $500 in groceries for around $50 bucks each month with coupons clippings and deals, but I am not going to the supermarket everyday!
You can teach me how to get $500 of groceries for $50. I truly mean it. That's one of the lessons I have been wanting to learn early in my ER, as I am frugal as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #75

Maybe your problem is not ER. Why would going to work make any difference? You probably didn't enjoy that either or else you wouldn't have given it up.

It seems that you are bored with your life. That's obviously not a good thing. You have the time - keep trying new things (they don't have to cost money) until you find something that interests you. If you don't like doing it for free, charge what you can. Otherwise, you have a very long, boring life in front of you - which is too sad to contemplate.

I wish you all the very best.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #76

Hmm? He has a job, he is landlording, probably doesn't take a huge amount of time, but it is part time work. Post does seem a bit odd, paying off 3 properties in about 6-7 years is pretty unusual, I'd estimate that is $500k-700k+, usually just land-lording and investing (even in emerging markets), wouldn't pay nearly that much. Also, saying the properties are paid off AND all money goes into emerging markets is odd, that would leave me to believe there is even more than 700K, not even professional/successful small businesses pull in money that fast.

That aside, retirement without hobbies is like cherry pie without cherries, go buy some cherries. Otherwise it is going to taste bad.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm going to assume your question is for real. A thought: go back and work part time. Try different types of jobs, or start your own business: if you are able to retire you are also able to withstand the prospect of not succeeding in making enough money to live on, since you already have that.

Try something different for an utter lark. If you make money at it, fine, if you don't but you find you enjoy it, that's going to be valuable enough. And if you don't enjoy it, try something else. The world can be a fascinating place, and the only time I'm truly bored is when I'm sitting in long long long meetings listening to monotoned speakers who can't seem to get to a point.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
This is an obvious joke.

Health insurance.
Property tax on home
Insurance on home
Maintenance on home
Automobile insurance
Gasoline
Internet connection (obviously)
Telephone
Electric/Gas/Water/Sewer

There is no way you can squeeze all of that in for $500 / month.
I doubt he has health insurnace. The other expenses above equal just under $400/mo for me. My total expenses(now that I paid off my mortgage at age 30) are just $800/mo. I could drop my cable w/HD DVR, reduce my food spending to $100/mo, and turn the thermostat down in the winter and i'd be down to $600/mo. Get rid of my car(there's a bus stop across the street) and i'm down to $500/mo. or less. It is doable assuming he doesn't have health insurance.

The thing I question is how did he get 3 paid off homes by the age of 30. Homes that are large enough to be able to profit $1000/mo in rent from each one.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Jacob from Early Retirement Extreme: — written by Jacob Lund Fisker, Freelancer lives on $7,000 a year (with health insurance). So it is possible.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Having lots to do - I meant more on the lines of having lots that you "could" do - I didn't me lots that you "had to do" - I was not speaking obligations.
I have lots to do, but usually only get around to 10% of it. But if I wanted to be busier, I easily could.
Ah. That indeed sounds like a nice way of living.