Retired at 30 and Bored!

You are not retired. IMO, you are in transition. This is an excellent time to seek real life counselling.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should consider going back to work. Some people are better off with that sort of structure in their life. Plus, it will provide more social interaction. Let's face it... few of your age group are not working (unless they just lost their job which would be temporary).

Tomorrow (Sunday) is my favorite day of the week, I will do my coupon clippings. .... That's the only thing I look forward to the whole week.

Yup, you definitely need to get out more.

Get a digital camera - after you're past the expense of the initial purchase, the rest is free.

Same with a rowboat, kayak, bicycle, hiking shoes, any number of outdoor stuff.

Just get outside.

I am just wondering how many other retired folks here felt depress when they stopped working. How long does it take for my mind to adjust to the retirement life. Tomorrow (Sunday) is my favorite day of the week, I will do my coupon clippings. It always keeps me busy when I plan what to buy at the supermarket. That's the only thing I look forward to the whole week.

Maybe you need to visit your Physician and get treatment for the depression . At 30 you should have a much better life than coupon clipping .

... Tomorrow (Sunday) is my favorite day of the week, I will do my coupon clippings. It always keeps me busy when I plan what to buy at the supermarket. That's the only thing I look forward to the whole week.

It appears to me that food shopping if one of your true passions. Also, you have mentioned previously that you cannot go to supermarket every day - probably because you have no need (once per week is sufficient) and due to the lack of desire to spend additional money.

I was thinking... have you ever considered doing shopping for others? The way I see it, benefits would be: (1) you are doing what you love, (2) you're not spending your money (and, unless you volunteer, will likely get paid for your efforts), (3) you will interact with other people, but the interaction itself is unlikely to overwhelm you (and your antisocial nature). If you are creative and like cooking, you can build on this and provide dinner (menu) suggestions and/or cook the actual meals.

Sounds like a coupon blog would be a good project. Heck I'ld love to learn to get $500 worth of food for $50. We're dropping a grand a month of food.

Forumites: If this really is/was OAP, and I'd say the odds are very good that's the case, he thrives on stirring up controversy. The sooner folks stop posting to this thread and it dies, the better.

Where is the answer to the question on how do you get $500 for $50, other than 'I clip coupons'. With nothing else to do, how about posting the results of one of those $500 shopping trips. I am sure just about everyone on this board would love to duplicate your results.

Where is the answer to the question on how do you get $500 for $50, other than 'I clip coupons'. With nothing else to do, how about posting the results of one of those $500 shopping trips. I am sure just about everyone on this board would love to duplicate your results.

This is quite possible. But understand that you can't just go to the grocery store and buy what you please and do this. You have to buying stuff that you want (hopefully) that meets the criteria. Let me give you an example.

You have a coupon for say $.50 off of an item. On Tuesday, the grocery store doubles this so it is $1.00 off. The item normal sells for $2.00.

Grocery stores generally rotate when items go on sale based upon a cycle of time. So that $2.00 item in, say, a 3 month period might be $2.00 most of the time. But one week it might be $1.80, another week it might be $1.50 and one week it might be $1.25. So, you use that $.50 coupon on the week the item is $1.25 and your total cost is now $.25.

It is totally possible doing this to have a very small grocery store bill but you really have to time it. Look at the grocery game website to get ideas on this for example (this tracks what items are on sale on a particular week and matches it with the existing coupons that you presumably have if you are a coupon clipper).

Forumites: If this really is/was OAP, and I'd say the odds are very good that's the case, he thrives on stirring up controversy. The sooner folks stop posting to this thread and it dies, the better.

Yes!! If you search on "internet troll," you will recognize this guy and see the progression of this thread.

Possible and probable are two completely different scenarios. I have heard, and seen news stories of people that have done this, but no one that can cut their bill that much over time. If you look at the list of things the OP claims to do, everyone is possible, but all as a way of life, IMHO, is highly unlikely, and then to find yourself 30 years old on a Friday night with nothing more to do than post on this board, does not speak troll but just down right shouts it. And, I venture to say he has succeeded beyond his wildest expectations, as over half of the post are 'He is, He is not'.

But hey, I am 67, retired, and with little else to do right now, so I continue to post here.

If you are real then it sounds like you are going through minor depression. The change from work to retirement can be huge if you're not ready for it. It sounds like you didn't have much of a plan before you decided to jump ship.

You need to get out and meet people, being introverted that can be difficult. In the gay community the first place people look to is the bars, you can find lots of shallow people there. I suggest you find a local non profit and volunteer some of your time. Yes, it's working for "free" but you'll get to meet other people. It will also get you out of your head for a few hours each day or week.

Trying to find extremely frugal people is difficult, finding one who is gay and living in the same area as you could be even harder. Depending on where you live there might even be some local glbt clubs, running, cycling, hiking, cars, theatre, the local pride committee, etc. All of which welcome new members and could use people with spare time to help out organizing things. Try some of them out and see if you like them. If there aren't GLBT groups in your area join a few of the non-glbt clubs. My guess is you'll find a few other gay boys there as well.

If nothing else works out try loosing up on your savings a little, you can spend an extra 1,000 a month and still be saving 1,500. If everything goes to hell you can always switch back to the save 2,500 plan.

Brian

Try going to church I enjoy it and it is good for my soul. The people I meet are fun to talk to.

If you are real then it sounds like you are going through minor depression.

Several people have said this, including me. The OP does not address it. So, I'm with those saying stop posting here and ignore this poster.

First, if he is depressed he needs to get help. Second, the replies giving him other advise continue the condition. Third, if he is a troll we should not feed him.

I retired two months ago at the age of 30 and I am finding myself very bored. I am thinking of unretiring myself. This early retirement is really not that great.
Too bad you don't live closer. I have a ton of yard chores that need doing. ;)

UPDATE: Oops, just read the whole thread. Three Billy Goats Gruff strike again...look under the bridge. :LOL:
'Snip, snap, snout,
Our tale's told out.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Billy_Goats_Gruff

What I'm doing:

I've been retired for one year. The reason I enjoy it so much is that it is SO different than the last 30 years of working two jobs or long enough hours on one job to be two. I love the freedom and the flexibility and the lack of stress. BUT I wouldn't know how different it is if I hadn't had "my nose to the grindstone" for so long. Not sure yours had been there long enough to appreciate the difference. Can't imagine retiring at 30 because at that point in life, many of my goals were work related. You had one goal: to retire and now you have no goals....hmm.

Yes I will just have to set new goals in my retirement. I might get a job with Labor Ready like some poster said in here. I like the idea of working for different companies. One of the reason I went into retirement was because I had no interest in my job.

Three words:

GET A LIFE........

If the "highlight" of your week is clipping coupons, you need a life. By that, I mean, it is time to throw your time at something. Many charities and non-profits need help. Maybe you could be a Big Brother or something.........

Back
Top Bottom