Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
To me, college is where you pay money to learn something new. Work is where you get paid to learn something new. If you want to call college retired, so be it.
Well.... when I was an undergrad back when college cost $1000 a year, my parents paid most of it, and I worked maybe 6 hours a day at it, and the rest of the time I partied. Now grad school was a horse of a different color.

In retirement, its called SENIOR COLLEGE. I do have to pay for the courses, but they are about 4% of the ost of real college now, and they is a good bit of partying involved.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nah, troll radar flashing so brightly it is blinding.
I too suspect a troll, but who knows.

In any case, comments like "STFU" are gratuitously offensive.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
College wasn't retired for me. I hated college. No parties, no football games, just work, study, change poopy diapers (the kids - not mine), study, eat, study, sleep, study, work, study, babysit, study - rinse & repeat. Retirement for me will be to do what I want when I want.
No wonder you hated college. I would have hated college too.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

@ the OP... if you are real, and looking for something to satisfy your free time, why not try scambaiting? Youd be good at it.

Read some completed scambaits. They may take a week or longer, but amazing reading! Dabble into it, if you want. Its completely free, a lot of fun, and serves a useful purpose.

Just find something fun that you like to do. Youve earned it. It doesnt have to be something everyone else does. What makes you laugh? Figure it out, and expand on it. Personally, I may spend my retirement speeding around in rainstorms just to make cops have to get out of their cars to write me a ticket.

Tell your renters that youre running a contest for a month of free rent to the person who can collect the most items on a scavenger hunt. Then make a list, give it to them, and watch them go crazy. Have them email you their progress periodically. I think thatd be fun as hell! You dont need the money.

Pick up a job at Burger King, do everything really half-assed and see how long it takes you to get fired. Make a game of it. kinda like Kevin Spaceys charactor in American Beauty.

You get the idea. Creative thinking is the key to beating boredom.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
@ the OP... if you are real, and looking for something to satisfy your free time, why not try scambaiting? Youd be good at it.

Read some completed scambaits. They may take a week or longer, but amazing reading! Dabble into it, if you want. Its completely free, a lot of fun, and serves a useful purpose.

Just find something fun that you like to do. Youve earned it. It doesnt have to be something everyone else does. What makes you laugh? Figure it out, and expand on it. Personally, I may spend my retirement speeding around in rainstorms just to make cops have to get out of their cars to write me a ticket.

Tell your renters that youre running a contest for a month of free rent to the person who can collect the most items on a scavenger hunt. Then make a list, give it to them, and watch them go crazy. Have them email you their progress periodically. I think thatd be fun as hell! You dont need the money.

Pick up a job at Burger King, do everything really half-assed and see how long it takes you to get fired. Make a game of it. kinda like Kevin Spaceys charactor in American Beauty.

You get the idea. Creative thinking is the key to beating boredom.
Geez. If you have that much time and energy, why not find something useful to do? Help children, homeless people, abandoned animals, raise funds to cure horrible diseases, donate blood, be a volunteer fireperson, fight against abuse, help out at the library, etc, etc, etc. Life is too short. Use that time to make the world just a little bit better. Something to reflect on when your time is nearly gone.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #146
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wow, this thread has become epic! @ the OP: I will be pm'ing you, so be on the look out

In my opinion, the harshness this thread is met with looks like ugly faced jealousy. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like.

While I'm not in the same position (I still run my business, though, I admit I spend much of my time on the computer NOT working) - I am the same age as you, blessed to have my passive residuals take care of our monthly bills, for the most part. We have a good amount of reserve in the bank, and, while I could probably not tend to my biz much over the next year, I am VERY frugal also. I hate spending money, because I always constantly worry if something bad happens. I am looking into going into rentals to supplement the existing passive income for this very reason. But that takes ... you guessed it ... money.

You see, I don't see this thread as being far fetched. I spend much of my time not "forced" to work, and I do get depressed with the thought of my inactivity / ineffectiveness in life. The difference is that I feel obligated to stay near my computer, just like I have been for the past 10 years in case something goes wrong for one of my clients.

OP: Consider looking into starting a business, writing a book, and/or helping with the needy, whether at home or abroad. So many out there need help and people like us ... we are blessed, not just to be blessed ... but to be a blessing to others.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #147
Dryer sheet wannabe

nevermind - looks like i can't pm you for some reason. Bummer!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
OP: Consider looking into starting a business, writing a book...
What a great idea! If someone has no clue what will give them satisfaction, they should write a book to tell others how to be similarly dissatisfied. It's the american way.

Glad I mostly read fiction which is marketed as fiction.

Ha
Old 08-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What a great idea! If someone has no clue what will give them satisfaction, they should write a book to tell others how to be similarly dissatisfied. It's the american way.

Glad I mostly read fiction which is marketed as fiction.

Ha
You might be a bit more cautious (and politically correct) Ha. Being "Dissatisified" is now covered under the comprehensive Americans with Disabilities Act

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Ah, college was a fun time. We used to opine then that we should be able to "retire" for a couple of decades after college when we could enjoy it and then work till we die later when it wouldn't mater
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtooearly View Post
I am the type that is antisocial. Really don't have much friends. Don't go out much. Don't have fancy things. All I know is how to save. I do enjoy shopping at the supermarket. I am happy when I see that I could get $500 in groceries for around $50 bucks each month with coupons clippings and deals, but I am not going to the supermarket everyday!
Classic troll.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
nevermind - looks like i can't pm you for some reason. Bummer!

You might be close to the OP posting.... but I do not think you are the same... as others have pointed out... he sounded like a troll...

Maybe he was not.... but if you sound like one.... you get responses like one...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #153
Dryer sheet aficionado

You can be bored anywhere, anytime. Just this morning I was bored while yawning in bed. Then I got bored again after I unleashed a torrent down the loo in the evening. Trust me, being bored is quite normal.

That said, boredom is a disease that infects idle people more easily than busy people. Like obesity, boredom will spawn a host of other illnesses. That is why I recommend to people who are still healthy to continue working in some capacity so as to avoid the dreaded disease of boredom.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Here's a thought. If you can get $500 in groceries for around $50 each month, then why don't you offer to be a "Dedicated Shopper" for people.
I saw a show on TV where a couple of moms who were super grocery shoppers started a business that had classes where they showed other people how to shop like that. One of the moms went around a grocery store with the TV person, bought a basket full of groceries and got something like $4 back. With the recession that kind of information is very popular right now.

If I knew how to do that I would start a blog and just detail out what you do and how you do it. Then put Adsense or banner ads on the site. You could give the groceries you don't need to charity. Just buy stuff for great deals to post on your blog. You can write articles with tips on saving money on foods for links or write guest posts for other bloggers. Most people buy groceries and many people really need to save money right now so the audience for that kind of information is huge. Maybe you could also volunteer your super shopping skills at a local food bank.

There is a guy that has a blog on how to eat for a dollar a day, which is an interesting read. Maybe you could do something similar.

I agree with the other posters who said you should maybe consider talking to your doctor about depression. You are eating frugally but are you eating healthy? Getting sunshine and exercise? There usually aren't a lot of coupons for items like organic chicken, carrots and apples. Coupons are usually found on more expensive items that are highly processed foods that might not be great for mental health. Maybe try upping your budget a bit and seeing how many whole foods you can get for your money.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilspill View Post
You can be bored anywhere, anytime. Just this morning I was bored while yawning in bed. Then I got bored again after I unleashed a torrent down the loo in the evening. Trust me, being bored is quite normal.

That said, boredom is a disease that infects idle people more easily than busy people. Like obesity, boredom will spawn a host of other illnesses. That is why I recommend to people who are still healthy to continue working in some capacity so as to avoid the dreaded disease of boredom.
Yes but ESR is much better for me as my F/T job was often boring, I had to be there at a desk but could go days with only a 30 mins to an hour of any real work each day (Yup is was a gov't job).
Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #156
Confused about dryer sheets

Can't wait to do what I want to do!!! So looking forward to it.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #157
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's see ... boredom vs. human meat grinder. I'll take boredom!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Let's see ... boredom vs. human meat grinder. I'll take boredom!
Boredom is not a problem for me. I can always go out to the garage and make my own fun...