Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
He/she probably wouldn't even know or care if they were breathing or not
Boredom problem solved.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtooearly View Post
Well I post here because I have nothing else to do at home. I am just finding myself surfing the web all day long, feeling pretty much useless, feeling depress. I thought retirement would be so great but it isn't the case. I just want to know what people do when they retire to make their lives are little happier. So don't tell me to travel or do anything that cost a lot of money because I am very frugal and don't want to spend any money on big expenses.
Well it doesn't make sense to retire early if all you are going to do is sit at home with nothing to do.

Either you need to have lots to do at home, or you need to have lots to do elsewhere.

If you stay at home and do nothing because you can't afford to do anything and that makes you miserable - well, I guess you couldn't really afford to retire early in the first place.

Audrey
Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! Me thinks fake, but who knows? If your budget is that tight, maybe you should go back to work. Money ain't everything, but there is a balance. Why are you still investing if you are retired? If you have enough to live on for the next 60 years, let loose. Sounds like you are generating 3 grand a month and investing $2500. Why so you can draw $4000 a month at 40 and reinvest $3500? One person can have a ball with $3000 a month.

If your bored, the first thing you should do to occupy your time is think of other things to occupy your time. If you are really that dull that you can't at 30, then you got bigger problems.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Well I post here because I have nothing else to do at home. I am just finding myself surfing the web all day long, feeling pretty much useless, feeling depress. I thought retirement would be so great but it isn't the case. I just want to know what people do when they retire to make their lives are little happier. So don't tell me to travel or do anything that cost a lot of money because I am very frugal and don't want to spend any money on big expenses.
Wow!! You sound just like me only I'm happy, not bored, and I do have a few hobbies. There has to be something that you like doing. Reading, researching investments, watching movies (Redbox movies are only $1/night), or spending time with your family. For me retirement is not being a slave to a job and living your life how you want to live it. I just can't believe that clipping coupons and grocery shopping are the only things that make you happy.
gvillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's not like I am on tight on money. I have the money. I just disciplined myself into investing whatever I have left over each month. I don't spend a lot. It's because I don't like wasting money on useless things that I don't use or need. I don't have the newest gadgets, cars or anything like that. I have gone on dates but a lot of gay guys are very materialistic. When they see the car I drive or the clothes that I wear they run. It's hard finding another gay guy who has the same values and in the same boat as me. One time I took a date to dinner and I used B1G1 meal free, he said I was cheap and laugh at me! I know I have a lot of emotional and personal issues to deal with. Maybe I shouldn't care so much about money. Maybe that's why I can't never be happy with my life. I thought an early retirement will make me happy but it hasn't.
retiredtooearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's going to be hard to find someone, anyone, who is like-minded and willing to live happily on $500 a month like you do. Even among the frugal, you are a bit extreme! It looks like you need to loosen up the purse strings a little. If you were a bit more mainstream, it might be perhaps easier to meet people. Instead of investing $2,500 a month, keep a $500 allowance and invest the rest. Your retirement income is already equal to six times your expenses, what difference is it going to make? You don't have to blow your allowance on meaningless items either, but perhaps you can splurge on a date or two. I find that having something special to look forward to (a vacation, a movie, a good meal, visiting a friend, etc...) is essential for my own happiness. With no desire you are not living, you are merely surviving... I also find that, despite being a pretty introverted guy, I yearn to belong. Socializing takes a lot of energy out of me, but I find it rewarding to make the effort to connect with others. I go out of my way to keep in touch with friends and family members and, in retirement, I will make it a point to get out of the house at least once a day.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

What Dex said and Welcome to the Forum!

Guess I'm slow but it would take more than two months to declare myself bored. Question: were you bored at work? If you were, maybe it's just a bad habit. If there isn't already a 12-step program for boredom, you could start one.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why are people jealous when you can retire early and they can't. My neighbors are the same thing. They think I am faking my retirement and think I'm just unemployed because they see me at the supermarket with my coupons. When I tell them that I don't work and I retired they laugh and say I'm joking with them. I don't need you to believe that I'm retired but I just need some guidance. Are there any other young people who retired too early and decided to go back to work?

If he is spending only $500 per month he is living in his parents basement.... not a life I want to lead....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

OK... so later in a post OP said he does not live at home...

SOOOOO... give us your $500 budget... I don't believe it...

And I can stretch a dollar with the best of them... I could not do it back in the early 80s when rent was $300...
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, ye of little faith! My second guess is that s/he is a young girl in Missoula.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have my own house which is paid off too. I don't pay rent. I have three other investments homes which are paid off too. That's where I am getting monthly income from. Net after those expenses(property tax, insurance, and etc) is around $3000. Well $500 bucks is a lot for food and personal expenses. I sometimes don't even use up the $500 after bills and everything. I only spend only $50 bucks for food which I could get $500 worths of groceries. No i'm not a girl. I'm a 30 year old gay guy. If you're interested, I'm available!
retiredtooearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Either you need to have lots to do at home, or you need to have lots to do elsewhere.
"Having lots to do" is necessary?

I'm not into the Protestant work ethic, nor am I an extrovert. I'm tired of being busy and am aspiring to spend a lot of time lazing about, dreaming and relaxing. Going to get me a couple of cats to give me the good example, they're the best at it!

P.S. I do have ideas for a lot of stuff to do, but am afraid to fall into the trap of being "busy" again and not living.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #53

There's lots to do out there.

Take a college class in something, anything, that looks even remotely interesting. This will help get you out of the house.

If a whole semester is more than you want to commit to, then most colleges have one-to-six-week adult education classes in everything from computers to photography to gardening to... well, just about anything. Those classes are pretty cheap too.

Take a basic rider class from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Usually they're around $100.

Join a local bicycle touring club. Once you get past the initial expense of a bicycle you can spend days/weeks of activity with other people for essentially free, especially if you pack your lunch. That kept me lean and outside for a bit over two years during a time when funds were extremely limited.

Not knowing what your interests are I can't suggest much else, but you get the idea.

The point is, get out of the house.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Trolls are fun, I'm with Brewer on this one.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

This is an obvious joke.

Health insurance.
Property tax on home
Insurance on home
Maintenance on home
Automobile insurance
Gasoline
Internet connection (obviously)
Telephone
Electric/Gas/Water/Sewer

There is no way you can squeeze all of that in for $500 / month. If he lives in a tent on federal property, he might be able to do it. But I'm guessing that his internet access probably forecloses that possibility.

Thanks for coming, it was a nice laugh you had poking fun at all of us.

Cheers.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Trolls are fun, I'm with Brewer on this one.

At least he is not trashing all the other threads... quite tame if he is a troll...

And HEY... he could be telling the truth...
Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have my own house which is paid off too. I don't pay rent. I have three other investments homes which are paid off too. That's where I am getting monthly income from. Net after those expenses(property tax, insurance, and etc) is around $3000. Well $500 bucks is a lot for food and personal expenses. I sometimes don't even use up the $500 after bills and everything. I only spend only $50 bucks for food which I could get $500 worths of groceries. No i'm not a girl. I'm a 30 year old gay guy. If you're interested, I'm available!
Still did not answer the original question.... what do you spend the $500 on

Ie food $50
insurance $100
utilities $100

etc... etc...

My utilities for the house is about $200 to $300 per month... and I was told recently that I was a 'low user' of electricity (some door to door salesman of the electric company)....

My insurance for cars about $200, for health about $600, etc. etc... as a single person I was able to live off about $1500 to $2500 per month with a paid off house... (according to what I wanted to do).... so you can see.... I am very skeptical about $500
Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone else think we are being OAPed?

Didn't answer my question either--was he bored at work?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's not like I am on tight on money. I have the money. I just disciplined myself into investing whatever I have left over each month. I don't spend a lot. It's because I don't like wasting money on useless things that I don't use or need. I don't have the newest gadgets, cars or anything like that. I have gone on dates but a lot of gay guys are very materialistic. When they see the car I drive or the clothes that I wear they run. It's hard finding another gay guy who has the same values and in the same boat as me. One time I took a date to dinner and I used B1G1 meal free, he said I was cheap and laugh at me! I know I have a lot of emotional and personal issues to deal with. Maybe I shouldn't care so much about money. Maybe that's why I can't never be happy with my life. I thought an early retirement will make me happy but it hasn't.
Oh gosh - I just can't bear to spend money! Even if I'm miserable sitting around and not doing anything because, well, extreme frugality is the most important thing in my life. I don't really need to save money, but I do so anyway. No one is as cheap as me so I'll never find a compatible friend or partner because they all loathe my frugal habits...

I can't possibly change how I live my life. I thought retiring early to sit around alone and do nothing would solve all my problems......

This is clearly a straw man troll, y'all
Old 07-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
"Having lots to do" is necessary?
Having lots to do - I meant more on the lines of having lots that you "could" do - I didn't me lots that you "had to do" - I was not speaking obligations.

I have lots to do, but usually only get around to 10% of it. But if I wanted to be busier, I easily could.

Audrey